Greatest Performances by Low-Mid Tier Fighters

I haven't seen all of his WEC fights so I'm not sure it is his greatest performance but Varner over Barboza is up there.

Joachim vs Yves Edwards and Sakurai in the same night should be mentioned. All the guys were upper-mid-tier at that point. All fought very well. Great matches.

Also probably one of the most entertaining events ever held.

Yeah Hathaway had a nice little upset there. I know Diego was the favorite but I've never seen the fight. Was he dominated or was it close?

hathaway had him in trouble in the first .. i can't remember if it was scored a 10-8 though .. and the rest of the rounds, although not as dominant as the first, were pretty much all hathaway ..... i think i remember expecting diego to be real aggressive and he was real subdued ... but yeah ... good win for hathway

hathaway had him in trouble in the first .. i can't remember if it was scored a 10-8 though .. and the rest of the rounds, although not as dominant as the first, were pretty much all hathaway ..... i think i remember expecting diego to be real aggressive and he was real subdued ... but yeah ... good win for hathway

Nice. Yeah JH had Krauss in real big trouble in the first round of their fight as well but ended up settling for a decision. Where's the killer instinct?!

Like TS said, Serra over GSP is obviously the #1.

I think the obvious #2 is Forrest beating Shogun and Rampage back to back to become the LHW champion at a time that the division was considered to be one of the deepest in the UFC.

My #3 would have to be Soko over Lil Nog and Arona.

#4 would be Alexander over Jardine. At the time Jardine was one win away from a title shot and many thought that he should had been fighting Liddell for the belt that same night instead of Rampage.

To round out my top 5, I'd have to say Hunts current run has been increadibly impressive. If Bigfoot beats Overreem (somehow) and Hunt can get by Struve (.....) The Hunt will most likely be the #1 contender. That's an INSANELY crazy concept to wrap my mind around.

You think JDS would take him down?

Not sure - Junior's never really went for takedowns as far as I can remember, so it's really an unknown quantity. I'd hope that both of them would stand and slug it out, though.

Not sure - Junior's never really went for takedowns as far as I can remember, so it's really an unknown quantity. I'd hope that both of them would stand and slug it out, though.

Personally I think JDS would trade with him long enough to set up a TD. I mean after viewing every one of Hunt's MMA losses aside from Melvin, I would imagine that is what every opponent would want to do.

Still, the stand-up between them would be intense!

Paulo Thiago's KO of Koscheck at his UFC debut, right when Rogan was criticizing his boxing.

Gonzaga's head kick KO of Cro Cop when he was considered the man to take away the HW belt from Randy.

I feel like a lot of people here do not know what mid-tier means. Or maybe I'm somehow misunderstanding.

All of these guys are in the top 1% or better or their respective divisions.

Yeah after that Charlie got finished by current LHW Rumble, highly touted Erick Silva and then Kyle Noke. I'm a little surprised he didn't get one more shot against a lower-level WW.

Noke was the shot against a lower-level WW. Noke had been on a two fight losing streak against mid-tier guys and both losses were fairly one-sided.

Noke was the shot against a lower-level WW. Noke had been on a two fight losing streak against mid-tier guys and both losses were fairly one-sided.

True.

The #1 is probably Matt Serra. Not an elite fighter by any means but still managed to make the greatest WW of all time tap to strikes.

Another one is George Roop against KZ and Grispi. Probably his two best performances, and they were both under the Zuffa banner.

What are some others?

I was shocked when Roop KO'd the KZ

Kieth Jardine KOing Forrest and beating Chuck are good examples.

Telligman over vovchanchyn
Can't believe it wasn't mentioned, it's the definition of mid/low tier outfighting a top 5er

Back