Greatest in-fight differentials in UFC/MMA history - your opinions

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought a good idea for a thread would be people's best examples of the greatest differentials ever seen in top-level fights in the UFC or other major organizations.

What I mean by this, is the greatest disparity in any physical or technical aspect of the game between the two participants in a fight.

The most obvious example of a technical differential would be something like Royce Gracie vs some of the dudes in the first UFC's, who had no idea what jiu-jitsu even was, and so got submitted with laughable ease. A better example for this thread would be something more contemporary (where both fighters were aware of the need for rounded skills, etc) such as the striking battle between Anderson Silva and Forrest Griffin, where the differential in striking skills/techniques allowed Anderson to make Forrest look like a child who'd never had a stand-up fight in his life.

By the same token, the most obvious example of a physical differential would be something like the difference in the speed, athleticism and explosiveness between Vitor Belfort and Tank Abbott in the 52-second blitz at UFC 13. And a more relevant instance could be the difference in raw punching power between Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping, where Bisping was landing clean shots (especially in the second round) that were having absolutely no effect, while every time Hendo clipped Mike you could see it was shaking him up bad - and then came the concussive ending.

So, tell me about the times you noticed a massive gulf in the abilities of two fighters in the cage...

Arona vs Saku

Arona was much bigger and just as skilled if not more so than Saku at that point in time, that and Saku was past prime.

Penn/Sanchez: This has gotta be the most thorough beatdown anyone has ever received without getting finished by strikes , Penn dropped Diego early and then proceeded to outstrike him 150-8 and stopped all 27 of his TD attempts over the course of five rounds according to fightmetric. They stopped the fight with like three minutes left when Penn cut Diego open bad with a head kick. BJ was on a completely different plane than Sanchez.

Last edited:
Ben Askren and that Russian he last fought getting the Round 4 tko.

The Russian said something along the lines of 'If I train my standup as much as I can than he can't get me to the ground to grapple."

He also said he wouldn't bring in any Jiu Jitsu coaches or Wrestling coaches for his Askren fight. We all saw how that went down.

Ben Askren and that Russian he last fought getting the Round 4 tko.

The Russian said something along the lines of 'If I train my standup as much as I can than he can't get me to the ground to grapple."

He also said he wouldn't bring in any Jiu Jitsu coaches or Wrestling coaches for his Askren fight. We all saw how that went down.

Yeah that was an awful fight once it hit the mat, Askren has the weakest GNP I've seen in a while but damn if he ain't effective. Still I wouldn't call the Bellator WW div top level just yet though Koreshkov if he trains smarter (like y'know wrestlers for facing the best pure wrestler in MMA) has a future in the UFC.

Yeah that was an awful fight once it hit the mat, Askren has the weakest GNP I've seen in a while but damn if he ain't effective. Still I wouldn't call the Bellator WW div top level just yet though Koreshkov if he trains smarter (like y'know wrestlers for facing the best pure wrestler in MMA) has a future in the UFC.

Yeah Askren is an amazing wrestler, he's just a shitty MMA fighter IMO.

He will find that out when Askren gets in the UFC.

Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson has to be the biggest height and reach disparity in a UFC title fight ever.

Brock Lesnar vs Randy Couture was legitimately frightening to watch at some points live. Couture looked amazing against Gonzaga, but he came back from that long layoff looking like father time finally caught up with him, and took on Brock freaking Lesnar. Couture flew back from some knees to the thighs in the clinch and I was honestly scared for his health and well-being.

Tommy Speer vs. Anthony Johnson

What athleticism is and isn't.

Anderson vs Leben
Anderson vs Forest
Anderson vs Maia
Anderson vs Bonnar

Struve vs Hunt: there was more than a foot of difference in heights but Hunt was heavier.

And some freakshows:
Almost any Hong Man Choi fight. (watch him against Kaoklai). Also see Emmanuel Yarborough or Akebono.
Genki Sudo vs Eric Butterbean Esch was a freakshow (Butterbean was almost twice heavier than Genki but he was less than a half skilled).

And if we talk about skills... well, Fedor and Wandy crushed some cans back in pride.

12-0=shitty?

he got that record from wrestling, not being well rounded. he's effective none the less

I wouldn't be suprised if Askren doesn't even hire striking or standup coaches :icon_lol:

Emmanuel Yarborough vs Daiju Takase
700lbs vs 180lbs

I win.

12-0=shitty?

MMA skillwise yes, he relies completely on things he learned wrestling and that won't fly once he runs into a guy like Demian Maia or a guy who attacks off his back.

MMA skillwise yes, he relies completely on things he learned wrestling and that won't fly once he runs into a guy like Demian Maia or a guy who attacks off his back.

Askren has spent so much time perfecting his wrestling that if he ever does fae Maia or somebody similar, one camp isn't going to up is BJJ defense anywhere near enough. He shoulda kept his amazing wrestling skills and incorporated atleast some BJJ to atleast a brown belt level to atleast have a well rounded grappling game.

Mike Russow vs. anyone he has ever fought, including Todd Duffee.

Couture vs Sylvia come to mind, Tim was way taller way heavier and thought to have much better striking, and well we all know how that turned out

Back