Greatest Boxers By Weight Class

How is Louis better than Ali or Holmes? They had much better competition (bigger and more skilled) than Louis.
Sometimes it seems that the people who are saying Joe Louis or Jack Johnson are only saying it because any idiot on the street would say Ali (or Tyson).

HW- Ali
LHW- Ezzard Charles (Maybe RJJ, but he happens to be a personal favorite)
MW- Sugar Ray Robinson
WW- Once Again, Ray Robinson
LW- Roberto Duran
FW- Willie Pep

So who on Ali or Holmes list of opponents was better than Ezzard Charles, Rocky Marciano, Billy Conn, Joe Walcott, John Henry Lewis, and Max Schmelling.

Joe Frazier is my all time favorite fighter, but he was not better than Ezzard Charles.. Neither was Liston.. neither was Foreman.

All the fighters you mentioned are much better than Charles at heavyweight. Foreman would dwarf the man and there's no way Charles can absorb any kind of juice that Foreman threw. Frazier would be the best fight out of the three due to the similarity in size, but again Frazier was stronger. Liston is kind of an enigma but if he shows up to fight he puts out Charles to.

Not insulting the guy either, he was a hell of boxer. But I don't think he measures up to the top 4 of the golden era. He beats Norton though...too slick for him.

i don't think anyone is saying if Louis' opponents were to fight Ali's opponents, they're talking about their accomplishments relative to their era which is a valid argument and is debated many times

Louis was in a great era but Ali was in the greatest era. I don't think it can be debated truthfully. I can see the argument for putting Louis over Ali, although I don't myself.

Gene Tunney and Jack Dempsey. It doesn't matter what weight class, they have those championships on lockdown my friend.

No love for Whitaker?

Im not a big boxing fan but from what I have seen Roy Jones Jr is the greatest boxer to ever live.

Aye btw..

HW - Ali
LHW - SAM LANGFORD
MW - SRR
WW - SRR
LW - Henry Armstrong
FW - Willie Pep or Hank again

No love for Whitaker?

Im not a big boxing fan but from what I have seen Roy Jones Jr is the greatest boxer to ever live.

1zxod46.jpg

You can't take Ray Robinson over Greb at MW....you just can't.

And I took Armstrong over Gans or Duran, and Ali over Louis and Marciano. It's just my personal opinion, there are a lot of great boxers if you haven't noticed.

This is a good thread was thinking of doing this one myself the other night, im going to sleep on my answers.

HW - Mike Tyson
LHW - Roy Jones Jr.
MW - Sugar Ray Leonard
WW - Floyd Mayweather

don't really know the guys that are lighter than that

Congrats! By far the worst ranking list i've ever came across in any sports forum i've been in.

HW- Ali.... edges out Louis by a hair
CW- Really this is Marciano or Dempsey but I guess more officially Moore
LHW - Langford/Tunney can't decide
MW-Greb... followed by SRR and Hagler
WW- SRR not close
LW- Armstrong... what a tough class with Duran, Gans, Wilde and Benny all there
FW - Willie Pep and it's not close

Louis would get tooled by Ali period, different era brah, just no way Louis can be #1.

Nobody would "tool" Louis. And you're right it is a different era, the 30's and 40's were incredible in boxing because of all of the talent that fought each other. That's why so many of the lists you'll see in here contain fighters from that era....

Louis would get tooled by Ali period, different era brah, just no way Louis can be #1.

if you saw a black and white video of Joe Frazier, you would come to the same conclusion..

but that aint exactly what happened is it.

Joe would give Ali all he could handle.

Strawweight = Ricardo Lopez
Flyweight = Jimmy Wilde
Bantam = Eder Jofre
Feather = Pep but Salvador Sanchez might have been better
lightweight = Roberto Duran/ Henry Armstrong
Welterweight = Ray Robinson
Middleweight = Harry Greb/ Hagler
Light Heavy = Bob Foster/Michael Spinks/ Roy Jones Jr.
Heavyweight = Joe Louis

Great list.

I know Ezzard Charles never got a shot at the 175 lb title, but I'd throw him up there anyway. The man was a beast.

Pascual Perez also deserves a mention at Flyweight alongside Jimmy "The Ghost with a Hammer in his Hand" Wilde.

Also, props for mentioning Eder Jofre and especially Salvador Sanchez.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back