Greatest BJJ Competitors of All Time

SBJ

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Fom: http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-news/top-10-bjj-fighters-of-all-time

best-bjj-competiror.jpg

Ok, so a few tweaks here and there have occurred since the creation of this page and this last one is probably the biggest change of them all. In order to keep the list as unbiased as humanly possible, BJJ Heroes has built a score system, as shown on the board below. The points were awarded for medals in the black belt division of all 4 major competitions in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The two main competitions (World Championship/Mundial and ADCC) were given more relevance as they are the cream of the crop of BJJ tournaments while the other two (that arguably are just as hard as the aforementioned) are seen as lower in overall significance.

The Scoring:

Points Awarded Per Medal

Event, Gold, Silver, Bronze

Mundial, 4, 3, 1
ADCC, 4, 3, 1
Pan Am, 3, 2, 1
Brasileiro, 3, 2, 1

As someone mentioned in the comments section of this page (below), the article could be called something else rather then the top BJJ Fighters of all time, maybe something along the lines: “Comprehensive list of all the greatest BJJ fighters that have competed since records began” but lets face it, it is not a great title and the current one (as it stands), is as close to an unbiased truth as possible.

1st Place – Alexandre Ribeiro (Xande): 68 Points
It may come as a surprise to a few of you out there, but Alexandre Ribeiro is by far the greatest Jiu Jitsu competitor to have entered a mat. Alexandre is known for his cerebral approach to BJJ and competition, a weapon he has used to defeat great names of the sport such as Marcelo Garcia and Roger Gracie. Xande spent a few years concentrating on MMA, a shame for Jiu Jitsu as he could have built himself an even bigger lead over the competition, still, not bad at all!

2nd Place – Roger Gracie: 63 Points
Roger Gracie made his mark in the sport as the first man to achieve three golden medals at the open weight division, a cool blooded submission artist who became the first grappler to finish all his opponents in the ADCC tournament (weight & absolute). Roger and Xande fought several times with the score being in Rogers favor (5 victories to 3 of Xande’s), however, Ribeiro’s consistence in the sport gave him the upper-hand on the score board.

3rd Place – Saulo Ribeiro & Marcelo Garcia: 60 Points
Nothing more should be expected from one of the strongest families in Jiu Jitsu with 2 out of the 3 top the ranking. Saulo is undoubtedly an icon of the sport who will always be remembered in Jiu Jitsu as a man willing test himself, being a consistent competitor for over two decades.The Alliance prodigy, on the other hand. was at the top of the most stacked division in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for years on end; mastering a variety of techniques (arm drags, guilhotina, north south chokes, X-Guard, etc), Marcelinho has helped shape the landscape of Jiu Jitsu both in kimono and without it (no-gi). A true living legend of the sport, he is also one of the most entertaining grapplers in the world.

4th Place –Marcio Feitosa: 54 Points
Another fierce competitor, Marcio Feitosa was one of the most famous light weights in the history of the sport, reaching sequential podium spots for 7 years in a row at the world championships. Not always the flashier competitor of the tournament, Marcio excelled at strategy and timing which worked perfectly as his record remains as the best amongst the lighter weight competitors.

5th Place – Romulo Barral: 53 Points
One of the most accomplished spider guard players of our times, Romulo Barral has been at the top of the BJJ world ever since he reached his black belt status. A 3 time world silver medal in the open weight division, Romulo’s biggest nemesis was his own team mate Roger Gracie.

6th Place – Andr

Any list that has Xande above Roger has no credibility. All you have to do is look at their head to hear records. Plus, unless you take out absolute division medals big guys will essentially always be ranked above smaller guys.

For my money, Marcelo and Roger are tied for #1. You can't really distinguish between them. I would put the Ribeiro bros, Robson Moura, Andre Galvao, Braulio, and Romulo at the next level down, probably with Bruno Malfacine and Rafa Mendes as well. After that I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who should also be up there.

Any list that has Xande above Roger has no credibility. All you have to do is look at their head to hear records. Plus, unless you take out absolute division medals big guys will essentially always be ranked above smaller guys.

For my money, Marcelo and Roger are tied for #1. You can't really distinguish between them. I would put the Ribeiro bros, Robson Moura, Andre Galvao, Braulio, and Romulo at the next level down, probably with Bruno Malfacine and Rafa Mendes as well. After that I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who should also be up there.

Cobrinha.

If Mendes and Malfacine are there, Cobrinha has to be. Also I know the level of competition was different, but Royler has to be in that second level, 4 Mundials and 3 ADCC definitely rank him up there.

Cobrinha.

If Mendes and Malfacine are there, Cobrinha has to be. Also I know the level of competition was different, but Royler has to be in that second level, 4 Mundials and 3 ADCC definitely rank him up there.

Cobrinha is a good one for sure, Royler as well. No complaints with either of those guys for being in the 'all time elite but not GOAT' club.

Love anytime this is reposted I'm happy. Xande rocks

Its a list based on competition results.

Not a list of who has the best jiujitsu.

Its a list based on competition results.

Not a list of who has the best jiujitsu.

That's a fair distinction. "Most Successful Competitors of All Time" would probably have been a better title, but I'd say they used a reasonable metric.

I'm just glad this didn't turn out to be about Ryron Gracie.

Any list that tries to use simple scoring like this never works to be honest,
you need to have boxrec's style ranking that considers level of competition and
not just on a few events but also whom they beat outside these four major events here.

Roger Gracie, no question. Marcelo a very close runner-up.

I think it's a fair list, if not perfect.

I think even if you do not rate xande #1, he belongs on a list of greatest of all time. I would not have thought that without the evidence in front of me.

Its a shame the IBJJF banned him otherwise Matt Barvo would be up there.

Not a bad list, not that I follow a large amount of sport BJJ. Its still subjective without considering level of competition, other competitions and time off/total time competing vs performance.

Points rankings tend to give too much credit for frequency of competition. Roger competed less than Xande, but with greater success. It also considers raw results rather than who the competitor beat, and how they won. As a result, these systems come up with results that seem just as arbitrary as any fan's individual rankings.

Any list that tries to use simple scoring like this never works to be honest,
you need to have boxrec's style ranking that considers level of competition and
not just on a few events but also whom they beat outside these four major events here.

Professional boxing is completely different because it doesnt has tournament formats, these kinds of ranking system is virtually used by all amateur sports in the world, even amateur boxing.

What you may change is weighing different tournaments with different values, for example worlds should weigh more than panams

That list is good fodder for conversation, but I had to read way too far down to find Robson.

normally Id agree with you ...but the list is from http://www.bjjheroes.com ..they are pretty impartial..

also wouldn't he have wanted roger number 1... if he was doing gracie propaganda?

In an odd way, no. Roger was Gracie Barra, his main teacher was his dad Mauricio Gomes. In terms of closeness to the original Gracie Humaita lineage, the Ribeiro bros are closer.

Back