Greatest BJJ Competitors of All Time

In an odd way, no. Roger was Gracie Barra, his main teacher was his dad Mauricio Gomes. In terms of closeness to the original Gracie Humaita lineage, the Ribeiro bros are closer.

I get what ur saying, but the ribeiro bros have nothing to do with Torrance academy propaganda .. Totally different school

Also wasn't Gomes a rolls Gracie student? ...wasnt Rolls a Humaita black belt ?

I get what ur saying, but the ribeiro bros have nothing to do with Torrance academy propaganda .. Totally different school

Agreed. I have nothing but respect for the Ribeiros, they're legends who continue to evolve and also produce great students. They also happen to be the most relevant branch of Humaita in competition, which was my point.

Also wasn't Gomes a rolls Gracie student? ...wasnt Rolls a Humaita black belt ?

Gomes was. And Rolls was. But if you go back far enough, everyone has Humaita lineage (other than Fadda's guys). Rolls really broke off when he started Gracie Barra, as he really broadened the game beyond Helio's original technique set. I don't think anyone today would argue that Gracie Barra and Humaita aren't very, very different sorts of organizations that are often somewhat antagonistic to each other.

LOL at Margarida not getting an honorable mention.

He won silver in 2000 and then had a great year and won weight and absolute at 2001 Mundials. Not even close to guys like Robson, Gurgel, or Roleta who no one is talking about here. He had a great peak but no longevity.

From: http://www.bjjee.com/featured/10x-world-champion-roger-gracie-announces-return-to-bjj-competitions/

10x World Champion Roger Gracie Announces Return To BJJ Competitions
May 28, 2014

roger11.jpg

10x world BJJ champion Roger Gracie was last night inducted in the IBJJF hall of fame together with other legends such as Saulo Ribeiro, Fabio Gurgel, Xande Ribeiro, Leticia Ribeiro, Michelle Nicolini etc..

roger1-668x501.jpg

Roger and other BJJ legends at the IBJJF Hall Of Fame

Emotional, he talked to Graciemag about the award meant to him and also announced his plans to come back to what he loves most: Jiu-Jitsu competitions. He almost registered for this weekend

^^^^^^
So much fanboy glee.

Finally he grew some sense.

Epic BJJ selfie > Oscar selfie.

I wonder what weight class Roger comes back to. Heavy would probably be a slam dunk if he's still got the magic.

he can make a comfortable living just doing BJJ.

Fuck MMA, that's a whole different game.

I know Jacare's one of the best BJJ guys in MMA, but where does he stack in pure BJJ?

I know Jacare's one of the best BJJ guys in MMA, but where does he stack in pure BJJ?

Easily one of the greatest. Probably the best athlete. The guy had it all. Standup, bottom, top, strength, technique, speed, etc.

I would love to watch him compete again.

Its a shame the IBJJF banned him otherwise Matt Barvo would be up there.

Not a bad list, not that I follow a large amount of sport BJJ. Its still subjective without considering level of competition, other competitions and time off/total time competing vs performance.

Who's that? Why'd he get banned?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bite on that lol :icon_chee

Roger was the most dominant while he was active. Xande has just been more active because he didnt try an extended mma career like Roger has.

He won silver in 2000 and then had a great year and won weight and absolute at 2001 Mundials. Not even close to guys like Robson, Gurgel, or Roleta who no one is talking about here. He had a great peak but no longevity.

You would need to watch his matches as opposed to merely counting his medals to get a sense of how great he was and how great an impact he had on the sport during his best years. At a time when submissions were sparse because many other top competitors were seeking to win matches by the slightest point differential, he was submitting everybody. You mentioned Gurgel; Margarida submitted him easily.

His style also received a lot of attention and study. For example, the knee through pass was often called the Margarida Pass. When they

You would need to watch his matches as opposed to merely counting his medals to get a sense of how great he was and how great an impact he had on the sport during his best years. At a time when submissions were sparse because many other top competitors were seeking to win matches by the slightest point differential, he was submitting everybody. You mentioned Gurgel; Margarida submitted him easily.

His style also received a lot of attention and study. For example, the knee through pass was often called the Margarida Pass. When they

Back