Great GSP quote showing his intelligence and modesty.

Champions are typically humble, it what keeps them grounded with a desire to improve

If Jon Jones said the same thing, word for word...people would be going:

"I hate how fake he is. It's annoying when he speaks like that to appear 'better' than others"

yeah but seriously, who comes across as the more believable?

lol at all the gsp haters, bow down to your god.

i dont see how he is being arrogant, and i truely cant see how he is saying he is better than these guys he mentioned.

im sensing some jelly with this peanut butter.

Saying he doesnt have any special gifts, but is still a dominant champion hints at something that could be percieved as arrogant

Saying he doesnt have any special gifts, but is still a dominant champion hints at something that could be percieved as arrogant

he didn't say that, he said he uses the gifts he has the best way he can.

He says he utilizes what skills he does and tries hard. I'm not sure, by the standards you are setting, how he could talk about his ability and NOT seem arrogant. My guess is you just don't like him.

I remember GSP saying "All we are is dust in the wind" and I was like :eek: that's the most bad ass saying ever. He even said it while his eyes were closed.

Was he smoking something at the time?

P4P? In his weight division he's one of the strongest for sure, he's more finesse now but I remember him manhandling guys. Some of the best reflexes too.

When asked, fighters have said he was fast, not strong.

Fitch said GSP wasn't particularly strong but was insanely fast, and added that "speed kills".

he didn't say that, he said he uses the gifts he has the best way he can.

The dominant champ part is unspoken part of "best he can."

He says he utilizes what skills he does and tries hard. I'm not sure, by the standards you are setting, how he could talk about his ability and NOT seem arrogant. My guess is you just don't like him.

I didn't read it as arrogant personally, but I could see someone reading it like that and was trying to explain it is all

Personally I think he's highly intelligent and very humble, all things considered. I mean, the guy is a stud, the king of his weight class and one of the p4p best, if he was cocky, what could you really say? He practically has a right to be a bit arrogant, but never is.

My cousin is pretty much in love with him (she's female), and her sister and a friend saw GSP at a restaurant in Toronto in the more secluded private section of the place. They knew it was kind of out of line, but they didn't want to pass up the opportunity, so they went to try to get an autograph for her. What does he do? Leaves his guests, finds a quiet spot and takes a video for them saying hi to her by name. I saw it and he just seemed relaxed and friendly, and that is really refreshing for an athlete of his status.

Nothing but respect for this dude.

I have always thought he was a very considerate individual...

Several of GSP's trainers have said that he wasn't impressive athletically when he first came to them, and that he didn't stick out in that regard at all. He puts in the work. Not that he isn't gifted, but he doesn't depend on that. I don't think many fighters do. But yeah, GSP isn't the best at anything (xcept maybe his takedowns, which are awe-inspiring), he's just really good at everything. Except finishing.

Hmmm no.

They pretty much all say that he's exceptional -> one in a million kind of athlete.

When asked, fighters have said he was fast, not strong.

Fitch said GSP wasn't particularly strong but was insanely fast, and added that "speed kills".

No doubt his speed is a big part of his success.

As for his strength though, while some have said things like that, many have said he's insanely strong too. Greg Jackson once said to an interviewer "You don't understand how strong he is" when asked about a particular matchup.

He probably doesn't always try to overpower someone. I never saw ANYONE overpower him though. It might have also just been Fitch's pride talking. I remember Jon getting manhandled in that fight...

If Jon Jones said the same thing, word for word...people would be going:

"I hate how fake he is. It's annoying when he speaks like that to appear 'better' than others"

B/c Jones is fake, St.Pierre is truly humble

"It's not always about the muscle, it's the mind."

Thats some serious the-pen-is-mightier-than-the-sword-sensei-shit!

Here's some other that would fit him well:
"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe"
"He who is taught only by himself has a fool for a master"
"Cry in the dojo. Laugh on the battlefield."

And this is what Silva's post-sonnen-rematch interview should have sounded like:
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Back