Great GSP quote showing his intelligence and modesty.

SPL1FF

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was trying to find something about the 170 pound division by fightmetric and came across this quote from GSP taken after the Condit fight.

"I use my body the best I can," said St-Pierre."I don't have the knockout power of a Rampage Jackson. I don't have maybe the athletic ability of a Jon Jones, I don't have the accuracy of an Anderson Silva or the wrestling of a Chael Sonnen. But I use my body, with the tools I have, the best as I can and that's why I win fights.

"It's not always about the muscle, it's the mind."

as quoted from this article - http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=409770

GSP is getting older and after wear and tear of his many fights and the surgery, it may not be long till we are without one of the classiest champions to ever be in the UFC.

I will rue the day that we face his retirement.

I think its arrogant. His natural talent is a huge part of his success.

I remember GSP saying "All we are is dust in the wind" and I was like :eek: that's the most bad ass saying ever. He even said it while his eyes were closed.

I like the notion, but GSP is still one of the most athletically gifted fighters ever.

Might mean more coming from BJ Penn or something.

If Jon Jones said the same thing, word for word...people would be going:

"I hate how fake he is. It's annoying when he speaks like that to appear 'better' than others"

i dont see how he is being arrogant, and i truely cant see how he is saying he is better than these guys he mentioned.

im sensing some jelly with this peanut butter.

I like the notion, but GSP is still one of the most athletically gifted fighters ever.

Several of GSP's trainers have said that he wasn't impressive athletically when he first came to them, and that he didn't stick out in that regard at all. He puts in the work. Not that he isn't gifted, but he doesn't depend on that. I don't think many fighters do. But yeah, GSP isn't the best at anything (xcept maybe his takedowns, which are awe-inspiring), he's just really good at everything. Except finishing.

"I hate how fake he is. It's annoying when he speaks like that to appear 'better' than others"

That's because Jones' modesty seems fake. It seems fake because a lot of the time he doesn't behave in a way that makes him seem humble. GSP seems to be genuine in his character, and people respond to that. And yes, I would suck his nuts. I WOULD SUCK THEM!!!!!

Guessing you're a "glass is half empty" kind of guy.

I guess my post was a bit negative. But is GSP seriously complaining about his natural ability? Seriously? That is just bizarre.

I guess my post was a bit negative. But is GSP seriously complaining about his natural ability? Seriously? That is just bizarre.

Yeah, I kind of agree. He isn't the strongest but he's definitely one of the fastest.

Not to say that GSP is arrogant because I don't think he is. Not even close. GSP has always come across as a rather nice and humble guy to me. But that quote wasn't said as any form of modesty. It was made as an excuse for adding yet another in a record-long line of decisions after his last fight. As if to say "Look, I tried hard to finish but I can't." which is false, because he didn't. As soon as he got rocked by Condit he reverted back to safety GSP and was content to stay safely in Condit's half guard doing no more to threaten after that. Whether that's ok or not is up for opinion, but he's still trying to make excuses instead of stating the real reasons he once again couldn't come close to finishing in 25 minutes. Besides, most MMA fans would agree with me in saying that he is one of the more athletic fighters in the sport.

I remember GSP saying "All we are is dust in the wind" and I was like :eek: that's the most bad ass saying ever. He even said it while his eyes were closed.

Bahahaha. Yeah, super badass...Kansas song.

[Yt]tH2w6Oxx0kQ[/MEDIA]

Yeah, I kind of agree. He isn't the strongest but he's definitely one of the fastest.

P4P? In his weight division he's one of the strongest for sure, he's more finesse now but I remember him manhandling guys. Some of the best reflexes too.

That's because GSP has the maturity and wisdom to understand and mean this quote. Jon Jones is not yet very mature or wise, so it would indeed be 'fake' coming from him.

Well it also wouldn't make sense if Jones, who has an incredible frame and reach for combat sports, said it.

he is smart enough to know what he can do and that he is an competitor in a sport. he knows himself, he knows the sport, and he knows the rules. only in mma does this make him some sort of lesser person. I love the sport but most of the fans make me wonder.

Personally I think he's highly intelligent and very humble, all things considered. I mean, the guy is a stud, the king of his weight class and one of the p4p best, if he was cocky, what could you really say? He practically has a right to be a bit arrogant, but never is.

My cousin is pretty much in love with him (she's female), and her sister and a friend saw GSP at a restaurant in Toronto in the more secluded private section of the place. They knew it was kind of out of line, but they didn't want to pass up the opportunity, so they went to try to get an autograph for her. What does he do? Leaves his guests, finds a quiet spot and takes a video for them saying hi to her by name. I saw it and he just seemed relaxed and friendly, and that is really refreshing for an athlete of his status.

Nothing but respect for this dude.

Back