Gray Maynard - Punching power?

If you thought it looked like Palhares "just quit" then you clearly don't know what you were watching. You are a Nubian fan, sir. Therefore, you shall henceforth be referred to as a SHERDOGGER!

Moving on...

oh no i made an incorrect observation watching a live fight :O

How about the first half of the fight?

from what i recall he only threw big punches; though not many.

Why does that matter? clearly he was being ACTIVE in the fight, which is what youre saying maynard doesnt do.

you cant just rule out exceptions...

those are his last 3 fights...

so you mean examples more than two years old? when hes looked different in his last 3 outings?
thats a little unfair
either way...

afh3k4.jpg

Maynard_Diaz.jpg

tumblr_mbz2z4p7bc1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

gyi0061424516_medium.jpg

Maynard_punches_Diaz_1.jpg

izb055.jpg

How is talking about his recent fights in recent years off limits? And I wasn't trying to down Maynard. I like Maynard a lot. His go against Guida was pretty awesome. But I'm saying he goes long stretches in fights without doing much in recent fights, and that's confirmed by watching those fights, and I said that could hurt him against Benson, which it could.

Who knew Maynard had such sensitive defenders?

He drops fools, but doesn't get the finish. No punching power though? c'mon now.

I believe I said "moving on", sir!

hmm randomly calling someone out, then ignoring them? fabulous

How is talking about his recent fights in recent years off limits? And I wasn't trying to down Maynard. I like Maynard a lot. His go against Guida was pretty awesome. But I'm saying he goes long stretches in fights without doing much in recent fights, and that's confirmed by watching those fights, and I said that could hurt him against Benson, which it could.

Who knew Maynard had such sensitive defenders?

? youre the one who said 'besides the edgar and guida fights'

What could he have done to guida moving in and out like that?
and again; maynard clearly got tired in both edgar's fights.

I probably took your post way out of context, like ive been a lot today so i apologize.
The OP of this thread kind of pissed me off and i thought you were joining in on the bashing. had no idea about the bendo context.

hmm randomly calling someone out, then ignoring them? fabulous

? youre the one who said 'besides the edgar and guida fights'

What could he have done to guida moving in and out like that?
and again; maynard clearly got tired in both edgar's fights.

I probably took your post way out of context, like ive been a lot today so i apologize.
The OP of this thread kind of pissed me off and i thought you were joining in on the bashing. had no idea about the bendo context.

It's cool. And yeah, it was meant in contrast to a matchup with Benson which I think was discussed. Like I said, I've always liked Maynard, and I actually think he needs to moderate the headhunting and return to his roots, even though that always incites backlash across the internet.

Like I said, you seem a little too attached to this discussion. I mean how stressed in life do you have to be to still be name-calling as an adult? But anyway...

Cite an example of Maynard being active on offense in his last 3 fights outside of both of the first rounds against Edgar and then when he started to give chase to Guida Beebop late in the fight.
Ex 1. R5 Maynard/Edgar 2. Maynard was far more agressive than Edgar. Maynard chased Edgar down and continually attempted TDs.
Ex 2. Maynard/Edgar 3. The two fighters were coming out of an awesome scramble in the 4th round leading up to the TKO.
Maynard had only a 2 week Traing Camp, no sparring, leading up to that fight.
Ex 3. From the opening bell Maynard stalked Guida. However, it wasn't until Gray realized that avoiding the fight was Clay's gameplan, that the outright foot race began.
Can I ask you what "attached to a discussion" has to do with the facts of the fights?

Maynard does very little for 4 rounds in the second Edgar fight.

Maynard does very little for about 3 rounds in the third Edgar fight.

Maynard does very little for the first few rounds of the Guida "fight".

If you think that level of activity will cut it against Benson, then I'd love to make a wager with you.

And why would I listen to myself? I'm typing.

Maybe a more relevant question to be asked is, when Maynard nails Ben, not if, how will Ben react?
Ben is a great Champion, but to think that he can escape unscathed against Maynard is ludicrus. No other opponent of Maynards has, how would Ben?

watch fights instead of reading fight finder.

Pretty much.

Very powerful punching, good boxing, not really good at going in for finish though.

He seems way too unnatural and stiff, I guess.

Good puncher, terrible finisher. It's rare but it happens.

Never to the extent that it has with him though. He really is one of the worst finishers in MMA.

I think people see his power not from his KOs (or lack of) but from how hard he was wailing on Frankie.

I don't know about you, but when he was beating shit out of Edgar it looked like he could hit pretty hard.

He's not very accurate but when he lands the punches hurt.

Good puncher, terrible finisher. It's rare but it happens.

Never to the extent that it has with him though. He really is one of the worst finishers in MMA.

Do a breakdown on Grays striking but horrible finishing please

Pretty much.

Very powerful punching, good boxing, not really good at going in for finish though.

He seems way too unnatural and stiff, I guess.

You are, evidently, right on the inability to finish. However, No doubt a different Ref could have easily stopped both Maynard/Edgar fights seconds into the first round.
I think Gray did his part.

Gray definitely has power in his hands. He hasn't racked up a ton of KO finishes because, especially early in his career, he relied more on his wrestling. It doesn't help that he has also faced a bunch of guys with great chins (Miller, Edgar, Diaz, etc.). The guys he has been fighting, for the most part, are very tough to finish and Gray's boxing, while good, doesn't carry with it that technical finesse where he's likely to land right on a guy's kill switch.

Gray absolutely has respectable power, though.

Back