Grappling display in Kimbo v Thompson

Very basic ground with JT having an opportunity to get in the mount and failing do see it. Basic basic.
Kimbo's game have improved nonetheless.

Both of them grappled like paraplegics. You wouldn't even know they had legs the way they grappled.

Good lord, I think Sherdog may explode with all the kimbo threads here. I will post this once here because this is probably the one place where I will get intelligent comments. If I was Bas Rutten, I would be thrilled by that fight. Kimbo had to go deep into a fight, he had to fight a bigger stronger man, he had to deal with multiple takedowns from someone who did not want to stand with him and he had to fight on the ground.

He showed some takedown defense, some ground skill and his usual solid stand up game. He was tested and came back to win. You couldn't ask for a better fight for your fighter. Thompson is a legitimate veteran fighter who has fought some very tough fighters, beating a few of them. People need to take this as a step up in competition for a green fighter rather than a championship bout. Bas will take him back to the gym and can point to various parts of the fight to help show kimbo where he needs to get better.

Good lord, I think Sherdog may explode with all the kimbo threads here. I will post this once here because this is probably the one place where I will get intelligent comments. If I was Bas Rutten, I would be thrilled by that fight. Kimbo had to go deep into a fight, he had to fight a bigger stronger man, he had to deal with multiple takedowns from someone who did not want to stand with him and he had to fight on the ground.

He showed some takedown defense, some ground skill and his usual solid stand up game. He was tested and came back to win. You couldn't ask for a better fight for your fighter. Thompson is a legitimate veteran fighter who has fought some very tough fighters, beating a few of them. People need to take this as a step up in competition for a green fighter rather than a championship bout. Bas will take him back to the gym and can point to various parts of the fight to help show kimbo where he needs to get better.

Is this a joke?

Kimbo had a worse looking ground game than a 1 month white belt. lol Also he had his hands at his hips the whole time he was striking. The only thing he was going for him are heavy hands and a hard noggin. lol

Kimbo did some "scissor sweeps"

Where i train we call what kimbo did with with about 1minute remaining in rnd 1 the "jelly roll"

I'm surprised to see any positive evaluation from experienced grapplers about this "fight"

Is this a joke?

Kimbo had a worse looking ground game than a 1 month white belt. lol Also he had his hands at his hips the whole time he was striking. The only thing he was going for him are heavy hands and a hard noggin. lol

The guy is in his thrid MMA fight. He defended the take down ok. He had a reversal, and a nice move off the wizzer to get back of his feet. He also defended the guillotine well. Is that amazing grappling? No but as bad as he was still better than most people thought. The reason I think that Bas would be happy is that now Kimbo has had a real MMA fight against a veteran opponent and he came through with a win. This is the first fight which provided them with any real evaluation and now they can move forward and work on the things they need to work on.

People are look at Kimbo through the lens of a contender but he is a puncher who still learning the MMA game. He and Bas have both stated numerous times that Kimbo still has a lot to learn. Unlike Tank, for example, Kimbo wants to be a real MMA fighter and is willing to work to get there.

The other aspect is that ,sadly, kimbo's ground game isn't as bad as many so called "real MMA fighters". People complained about his half guard being wide open, which it was, but I find myself screaming that at the tv at least 1 out of ever 2 events I watch.

When I saw Thompson's testicle ear I thought we were going to see him put on a clinic. Sadly, that was not the case. I think he needs to watch more DVD's.

I wanted to add two things.

1. You must have some amazing 1 month white belts at your school because I don't know any 1 month white belts (barring previous experience) that would last 10 seconds in a Pro MMA bout with a even someone of Thompson's caliber.

2. Bas is pretty much the perfect guy to train Kimbo. He started his career as a 1 dimensional striker. After his 2nd loss Ken Shamrock, he won 6 of 7 fights by submission (1 was a split dec. to Frank Shamrock. He finished his career with more subs then (t)KOs.

3 (ok 3 things) No one can argue the Kimbo needs to get a good BJJ instructor. Just to be clear there.

1. You must have some amazing 1 month white belts at your school because I don't know any 1 month white belts (barring previous experience) that would last 10 seconds in a Pro MMA bout with a even someone of Thompson's caliber.

2. Bas is pretty much the perfect guy to train Kimbo. He started his career as a 1 dimensional striker. After his 2nd loss Ken Shamrock, he won 6 of 7 fights by submission (1 was a split dec. to Frank Shamrock. He finished his career with more subs then (t)KOs.

3 (ok 3 things) No one can argue the Kimbo needs to get a good BJJ instructor. Just to be clear there.

If they were his size and it was pure grappling I would put money on some 1 month white belts. He had no side control, didnt know how to do an american or kimura that were staring him in the face(thompson).

Kimbo had no hip movement, didnt even know to close his guard to finish the guilitine (he could have had it twice), didnt even attempt to close his half guard let alone get a knee, hook or lockdown in and dig for an underhook.

It was ridiculously bad on both parts and I have seen better grappling out of some 1 month white belts.

after 2 years of full time MMA training, he should at least be blue belt level... instead he looks like a fish white belt on his first day

The guy is in his thrid MMA fight. He defended the take down ok. He had a reversal, and a nice move off the wizzer to get back of his feet. He also defended the guillotine well. Is that amazing grappling? No but as bad as he was still better than most people thought. The reason I think that Bas would be happy is that now Kimbo has had a real MMA fight against a veteran opponent and he came through with a win. This is the first fight which provided them with any real evaluation and now they can move forward and work on the things they need to work on.

People are look at Kimbo through the lens of a contender but he is a puncher who still learning the MMA game. He and Bas have both stated numerous times that Kimbo still has a lot to learn. Unlike Tank, for example, Kimbo wants to be a real MMA fighter and is willing to work to get there.

The other aspect is that ,sadly, kimbo's ground game isn't as bad as many so called "real MMA fighters". People complained about his half guard being wide open, which it was, but I find myself screaming that at the tv at least 1 out of ever 2 events I watch.

I think that is a great way to look at things. Especially if you are in Kimbos camp. I have seen well known fighters with more experience look worse on the ground. Crocop (the kickboxer who quit the UFC to do grappling matches) has been in the MMA game for years, and his ground game isn't much better.

I thought Kimbo recovered guard really well in the beginning. He took some GnP and the techniques aren't deep enough in his muscle memory to use his tools in a fight. I think he can get there some day even though he is late getting into the game.

Thompson on the other hand.

He chose to have a gun fight and opted to leave his bullets at home. He's been in the MMA game for a long time and his ground control was garbage. Absolute garbage. if I was Yoshida I would be embarased losing to someone that scrubby.

Not to mention punching a referee because he's to stupid not to get his ear drain before a fight. Seriously, I'm surprised the doctors didn't stop him the moment they saw him. That ear wasn't normal, even by cauliflower standards.

So...I was honestly fucking amazed at how poor these two were on the ground. I mean, there were several times Thompson (p?) could have passed Kimbo's half guard, but just kinda sat there. Just freaking sat there. Then, at least twice, Thompson had an americana screaming at him in the face, but he ignored it. Puzzling for a guy that should be above white belt level on the ground.

Kimbo was horrible, but at least he has half an excuse because he's so new. But even given that, his trainers have got to be teaching him some basics. But he also looked like he was about mid-white belt level.

I was watching that shit with my girlfriend, just getting all worked up over how poorly those two were wriggling around. Honestly, has anyone ever seen worse grappling in a big promotion? Ever?

dude what fight were u watching it was just like saku vs carlos newton

My question is, because that ear looked so bad would it have just refilled if they tried to drain it?

If I was Bas Rutten, I would be thrilled by that fight. Kimbo had to go deep into a fight, he had to fight a bigger stronger man, he had to deal with multiple takedowns from someone who did not want to stand with him and he had to fight on the ground....Bas will take him back to the gym and can point to various parts of the fight to help show kimbo where he needs to get better.

I just wanted to bump this in light of this statement by Bas:
Bas Commentary Kimbo / Thompson fight

Looks like Bas has the same Idea that I had.

We have some white belts who were/ are professional level MT/boxers just learning the ground game. Also some are simply white belt because they rarely train in the gi (which I know is not the point here) They have at least half the game, Thompson has none.

P.S. People ask me if the fight should have been stopped at the end in the second round, I say YES because those are the rules, it should have been stopped because Kimbo didn't do anything to improve his situation. But I think what made the ref NOT do it was the fact that Kimbo was giving his thumbs up the whole time to let the referee know that he was OK.
This was the refs decission, not Kimbo's.

Even Bas thinks Kimbo shouldve lost that fight :icon_twis

I think that is a great way to look at things. Especially if you are in Kimbos camp. I have seen well known fighters with more experience look worse on the ground. Crocop (the kickboxer who quit the UFC to do grappling matches) has been in the MMA game for years, and his ground game isn't much better.

cro cops ground game isn't much better? are you crazy? did you see his fight against fedor? he defened himself as well as anyone if not better than everyone against the world's best ground and pounder.

I know some 1 month bjj white belts that if they matched Kimbo's size, they would submit him.

I thought Kimbo recovered guard really well in the beginning. He took some GnP and the techniques aren't deep enough in his muscle memory to use his tools in a fight. I think he can get there some day even though he is late getting into the game.

Thompson on the other hand.

He chose to have a gun fight and opted to leave his bullets at home. He's been in the MMA game for a long time and his ground control was garbage. Absolute garbage. if I was Yoshida I would be embarased losing to someone that scrubby.

Not to mention punching a referee because he's to stupid not to get his ear drain before a fight. Seriously, I'm surprised the doctors didn't stop him the moment they saw him. That ear wasn't normal, even by cauliflower standards.

Crocop didnt leave the UFC for grappling matches and Crocop has insane take down and submission defense.

Name a few that are worse...?

Back