Grappling display in Kimbo v Thompson

irc

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So...I was honestly fucking amazed at how poor these two were on the ground. I mean, there were several times Thompson (p?) could have passed Kimbo's half guard, but just kinda sat there. Just freaking sat there. Then, at least twice, Thompson had an americana screaming at him in the face, but he ignored it. Puzzling for a guy that should be above white belt level on the ground.

Kimbo was horrible, but at least he has half an excuse because he's so new. But even given that, his trainers have got to be teaching him some basics. But he also looked like he was about mid-white belt level.

I was watching that shit with my girlfriend, just getting all worked up over how poorly those two were wriggling around. Honestly, has anyone ever seen worse grappling in a big promotion? Ever?

honestly all i remember from that fight was JT's flapping ear

Both of them need some quality time in a good BJJ school. Thompson in particular, learned nothing from his stint in Xtreme Couture apparently.

I was watching that shit with my girlfriend, just getting all worked up over how poorly those two were wriggling around. Honestly, has anyone ever seen worse grappling in a big promotion? Ever?

Yes, but it's been about 10 years.

Then again, Herring vs Kongo was pretty shameful as well.

honestly all i remember from that fight was JT's flapping ear

My god, that was the Mother of all Cauli, was it not?

I kept waiting for it to explode like the fucking Death Star and ubscure the ring in a red haze. I am still dissapointed that it didn't.

i'm with the thread starter, i was screaming at the TV when the fight hit the ground

Thompson's control was awful! For someone that heavy he shouldnt have ben rolled so easy. cant remember the amount of times i shouted 'drop your fucking hips!' at the screen...

That stand-up in the second round was bullshit though, Thompson was pounding away and they'd only been in that position for 30 seconds tops...

Kimbo did have a sick sweep tho, the rest was garbage

Didn't JT train with Braulio Estima before? Thats what I heard then Braulio kicked him out of his school

So...I was honestly fucking amazed at how poor these two were on the ground. I mean, there were several times Thompson (p?) could have passed Kimbo's half guard, but just kinda sat there. Just freaking sat there. Then, at least twice, Thompson had an americana screaming at him in the face, but he ignored it. Puzzling for a guy that should be above white belt level on the ground.
Kimbo was horrible, but at least he has half an excuse because he's so new. But even given that, his trainers have got to be teaching him some basics. But he also looked like he was about mid-white belt level.

As a white belt, I was offended by how horrible they looked. That entire fight was a disaster.
And yes, Kimbo did tap.

Didn't JT train with Braulio Estima before? Thats what I heard then Braulio kicked him out of his school

You may be thinking of Marc Goddard who Thompson has fought twice. I'll find out though.

i think you'll find his ear did in fact explode.

It absolutely amazed me that a lot of people in the "big leagues" still step into the cage without the knowledge of basic BJJ...

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that any blue belt or higher could've finished either guy on the ground

JT's ground game was pathetic. He was getting swept by easy, basic sweeps that you can easily avoid. And he had numerous chances to lock in a Kimura but didn't take it. I'm not going to give Kimbo much slack because he's relatively new to the sport.

I'm beginning to think Thompson quiting Team Couture was one of those quit or be fired things.

Back