Grapplers that think they can Strike

Don't compare this to Ronda.. Hendricks can actually mix it up well, watch how he out struck Lawler in there second fight.

The difference was the style Wonderboy used and his body type.

DHK

I still think if he fought his game and didn't think he was a karate champ he would have beat Woodley. Instead he got KTFO.

Well Woodley himself is a grappler that thinks he's a striker, so they were mirror images in that sense.

I don't think its a lot harder to learn grappling than punching,,that is an outdated misnomer.

Equating striking with simply punching is a misnomer in itself. Even an exclusive punching art like boxing is a complex, multi-layered style. People who don't know would be shocked at how multi-dimensional something as simple and basic a jab is.

Anyone can learn to throw a punch or a kick, but learning proper distance, footwork and balance requires a hell of a lot more than simple padwork and stationary bag workouts.

Last edited:
It is a better strategy than going Bader

I think if theres a problem its that alot of training in the US tends towards a rather simplified version of kickboxing. Hendricks had I think developed pretty good striking along these lines BUT he wasnt prepared for the test of someone like Thompson.

The ironic thing when talking about "evolution" of striking in MMA is that I actually think things took a big step back in the post Pride era when training shifted to the US. You look at Fedor for example, a grappler who learned to strike he the level of technique he picked up was so much higher because he wasnt learning "Boxing/MT for dummies" he was learning high level boxing and kickboxing techniques from either his own trainers(including an olympic level boxing coach) or camps in holland.

Its taken years and guys like Hooft and Bang who are starting to move beyond the standard cookie cutter striking training thats starting to reverse that.
I agree, just the basic kind of work people normally put into adding striking to their game isn't going to put them on the level as someone like Wonderboy.

Even with the right kind of training it would be very hard to match someone who simply is as talented as Thompson. But at least they would have a better chance.

There are just so many hours in the day. It really is starting to get to the point imo where guys need to come up already well-rounded. It takes years as you said and top level striking isn't something that is just easily added.

Plenty of guys with grappling pedigrees can learn to strike very well. Some guys become so good,like Yoel,that their original discipline becomes their backup. Some guys only have rudimentary striking but mix it so well with their grappling,that they get by just fine like Khabib Nurmagomedov. Hendricks is getting too harsh of a criticism. He met someone where his normal game didnt work,but it worked fine up until this point...this happens to SO many fighters...the question is what is he going to do about it now?

This is a shameless Askren plug since his name has been out of the dimlight lately.

DHK

I still think if he fought his game and didn't think he was a karate champ he would have beat Woodley. Instead he got KTFO.

lol. came in to say this too. he wouldve tired the wood out quickly.
but when you get 2 highlight ko's in a row.....

I remember one that used to...

2vmj950.jpg

Having power certainly helps to negate shitty technique. Add a good chin to that and you'll come a long way against lesser strikers.

Gonzaga is the poster boy... Kicks CroCop in the head, next thing he's acting like a tubby Bruce Lee in a fur coat.

I think if theres a problem its that alot of training in the US tends towards a rather simplified version of kickboxing. Hendricks had I think developed pretty good striking along these lines BUT he wasnt prepared for the test of someone like Thompson.

The ironic thing when talking about "evolution" of striking in MMA is that I actually think things took a big step back in the post Pride era when training shifted to the US. You look at Fedor for example, a grappler who learned to strike he the level of technique he picked up was so much higher because he wasnt learning "Boxing/MT for dummies" he was learning high level boxing and kickboxing techniques from either his own trainers(including an olympic level boxing coach) or camps in holland.

Its taken years and guys like Hooft and Bang who are starting to move beyond the standard cookie cutter striking training thats starting to reverse that.
Nicely put.

Gonzaga is the poster boy... Kicks CroCop in the head, next thing he's acting like a tubby Bruce Lee in a fur coat.

Manbearpig <3

No Tate/Nakai gif? You slippin Sherdog

There have been plenty of grapplers that have learned how to strike and do it very well. The problem isn't a grappler making the transition, Hendrix has turned some top guy's lights outs.

he's KOed fitch and kampmann - fitch has no striking and kampmann's was adequate at best.

TS has a point, thompson is an elite striker and no grappling based fighter should be tangling with him on the feet for any length of time.

hendricks could train the rest of his life in striking and never be close to thompson's level. some of it is natural skill and / or physical gifts - that and thompson just has too much of a head start.

fighters like hendricks, maia, GSP even is to get the striking to a level where they can hold their own striking and avoid getting KOed, and use it to set up the ground game.

these guys get into trouble when they start convincing themselves that they are elite strikers themselves. K1 hughes is never a good idea long term.

When i hear wrestlers that think they can strike all i can think about was the later part of matt hughes career. loved him, but god it was awful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back