Grapplers that think they can Strike

Jorge Gurgel
This all day. Jorge strikes so often he forgets he's quite a high level a BJJ practitioner, not to mention Rich Franklin's BJJ coach.

Its not that guys like Hendricks and Ronda are bad striking, the are MMA strikers...And when facing a world champion boxer or Kickboxer, the strategy of standing up with them is just dumb

I think JH just got frustrated with all the movement and left his guard down. It's a lot harder to learn wrestling/grappling than punching. Many top wrestlers have excellent footwork and range.

I think JH just got frustrated with all the movement and left his guard down. It's a lot harder to learn wrestling/grappling than punching. Many top wrestlers have excellent footwork and range.

I don't think its a lot harder to learn grappling than punching,,that is an outdated misnomer.

Why would you want them to stop?

ZaFDxK.gif

It's not that grapplers can't strike. They can learn how to strike and strike well, HOWEVER, they won't ever be able to have comparable stand-up. The stand-up game is like mental chess that you both play like a hundred moves a minute.

But when a Striker is playing mental chess with a Grappler who is playing checkers... well you get this

a lumbering punching bag
zskBTKlb2OucM.gif

13rD5qnsEYredW.gif

PFFncrzKmuqf6.gif

idh0We3rSpJ9C.gif

R8a0s4cH1H0Qg.gif

5EopqQVZTzJ1m.gif

4ofljpMbuXB16.gif

3CwdvpPYKDLEI.gif

King Mo thinking he's an elite boxer

King Mo thinking he's an elite boxer
Dood....
King mo has great boxing, his ability to close distance on longer strikers using footwork, not explosive wrestling style rushes..

To ts, hendricks has good striking, stood with the best...
Wonderboy is just that good, added to the fact hendricks, is mostly the best with stationary targets, the only way hendricks has any success in the rematch is too actually stay out of wonderboys range and force wonderboy to come in, and hendricks try and meet him in the middle eith either a takedown or a accurate shot.
Easier said than done, wonderboys 57-0 in kickboxing.

Dos Anjos. Or maybe he's a grappler that knows he can strike, which I suppose is a big difference.

There have been plenty of grapplers that have learned how to strike and do it very well. The problem isn't a grappler making the transition, Hendrix has turned some top guy's lights outs.

And in this fight he tried to grapple and failed on both TDs. His lack of success wasn't for lack of trying. Especially when taking into account Wonderboy's reach advantage and movement.

I think if theres a problem its that alot of training in the US tends towards a rather simplified version of kickboxing. Hendricks had I think developed pretty good striking along these lines BUT he wasnt prepared for the test of someone like Thompson.

The ironic thing when talking about "evolution" of striking in MMA is that I actually think things took a big step back in the post Pride era when training shifted to the US. You look at Fedor for example, a grappler who learned to strike he the level of technique he picked up was so much higher because he wasnt learning "Boxing/MT for dummies" he was learning high level boxing and kickboxing techniques from either his own trainers(including an olympic level boxing coach) or camps in holland.

Its taken years and guys like Hooft and Bang who are starting to move beyond the standard cookie cutter striking training thats starting to reverse that.

Back