• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GRAN TURISMO 7 - worth getting?

STRYDG

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
For someone that wants to play offline races only? Used to play every time series put out a new version but that ended at GT5 and not sure if it's worth getting now days being online focused. Is there enough content if you're not online? Thanking yous!

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/whos-going-out-on-black-friday.4215355/page-4

Someone pointed out GT7 has a greedy microtransaction low reward payout system where it's going to take a lot of grinding to get anything good.

I had a gift card to use, so bought the regular version for $39.99. Haven't started it yet.

I also read they don't have some of the same car licenses as past games, so I think Lotus is missing. I bought a nice Hot Wheels Lotus Emira and wanted to see if it's in the game.

I think I have GT6 for PS3 and that's the newest I played and pretty good. The latest Corvette in that one is not bad. Has some power and doesn't go out of control easily.

Last edited:
For someone that wants to play offline races only? Used to play every time series put out a new version but that ended at GT5 and not sure if it's worth getting now days being online focused. Is there enough content if you're not online? Thanking yous!

It's fine. Still the best console "sim" imo. I think with gt7 they finally made a game designed to be used with a wheel and then made it work with a controller vs previous installments where it felt like a wheel was fun but controllers had some built-in advantages that made competition really annoying and inconsistent.

Someone pointed out GT7 has a greedy microtransaction low reward payout system

That was me, and as far as I know that absurdly greedy microtransaction system is still in place.

@STRYDG

Instead of GT6, check out Wreckfest and thank me later.

And since that review has been posted there's been 2 different season passes released.

Edit - There's also been a next-gen update so it'll run @ 4K & 60FPS and other graphical enhancements.

PS5 trailer -

Last edited:
i had a weird ass dream about buying a ps5 the other day and now im kinda thinking of buying a ps5 just for demon souls and gran turismo. but i already have a ps4 that i havent turned on in years. and a series x i havent booted up in months. and i own every other xbox and playstation out there and i havent plugged any of them in for years. i mostly play my games on pc.

ive got a series x and two gaming pc's and i'm still trying to give myself a valid reason to spring for a PS5, and right now all i have is demons souls, final fantasy 16, and gran turismo 7.

even though i prerfer forza games i wouldnt mind playing me some gran turismo for good ole times. but i could always get it for my ps4. but it sounds like a god damn jet engine every time a game is running and the controller is full of dust and wont even hold a charge for an hour anymore. still for some reason i feel compelled to get a ps5 even though i probably wont use it much.

but GT7 has me interested. even though i kinda forgot about the series ever since the GT Sport launch. which kinda put me off

oh fuck me lol i actually start looking online for one and it looks like i'd have to buy one off a scalper. jesus. the things been out for years now and theres still availability issues?

i got lucky as hell when i preordered my series x. i knew the ps5's were even harder to come by. maybe the christmas holidays isnt the best time to try to buy a console.

edit: so i still want to get my track racing fix but i dont want to revive my jet engine PS4 and buy GT7 for that, and i dont think i'll be able to find a ps5 anywhere for a while, so what ive decided to do is bust out the old forza motorsport 7 disc and play it on my series x. but i'm just gonna disable the rewind feature and thats pretty much gran turismo for me

ive played forza horizon 5 until my eyes bled and did everything and got all the achievements and everything so i'm done with that. i just wanted to do a bunch of track racing. i was gonna just delete start fresh, but after installing the game and having it download my save from the cloud i realise im alot farther through in that game than i thought, and i think im just going to finish what i started.

i still wouldnt mind me a nice session of GT7, but i think the fans on my ps4 or the thermal paste in the cpu is fucked, the noise coming from the fans makes it rather unbearable to play games on it without my headphones on or my stereo cranked up, and every once in a while it would overheat and just turn off. i wouldnt mind picking up a ps5 just to play gran turismo and demon souls and maybe finish up some of my ps4 games, but i'm not about to reward a scalper with a thousand bucks so im gonna have to wait until i can track one down in stores or online.

Last edited:
I think I saw some versions of GT7 have PS5 disc and PS4 digital.

I'm a bit worried their greed means fewer car brands as in the past.

I think I saw some versions of GT7 have PS5 disc and PS4 digital.

I'm a bit worried their greed means fewer car brands as in the past.

There's still 63 manufacturers in the game covering 457 cars, Lotus weren't in Sport either ,they pulled out near to release

I got it a few weeks back after having similar worries as you. My main concerns were the grind and lack of content.

I only play offline and havnt really got into a GT game since GT2 but played them upto GT5 Prologue.

As far as offline content goes, there seems to be more than enough for me. I have only spent 4.5 hours driving in the game, but so far there have been a good selection of tracks and cars that are both readily available when following the "career" path.

I have not, and will not, use any microtransactions to advance my progress and have not found this limiting, or even noticable, in any way. I have not had to grind for anything and if anything, I would say GT7 is far less of a grind than GT1 or GT2 were.

I have 35 cars in my garage, 32 of these were prizes for finishing 3rd or higher in a race or championship. I have 250,000 credits after spending: About 15k to buy my first car; 300k (I think) on a "Sega Rally" Toyota, for nostalgia reasons; 100k (ish) upgrading a 1960s Mini Cooper, because its really fun to drive; 40k, multiple times, for soft racing tyres. I think I can sell any of those cars, so getting credits does not seem to be a problem at all.

To begin with I found the driving simulation to be pretty meh as there was a real lack of feeling. But this seems to be due to the tracks and cars that you begin with. When the tracks get more difficult, with elevation/camber changes and widely varying speeds, and the cars get faster, so you can push the tryes, it got much more enjoyable and the feedback from the controller gives a good feel for whats going on with the car.

So far, the only complaints I have are:
  • Its a little kooky, like a 90's JRPG and a serious racing game had a baby.
  • Forcing people to sit through a 10 minute video when you boot the game for the first time, or every time you boot the game until you figure out how to disable it, is not cool.
  • I have had quite a few instances of the game crashing and returning me to the dashboard.
  • I bought the disc version and for whatever reason, it doesnt recognize the disc is in the console when installing the game. This means the PS5 wants to download the 90GB file and I had to disconnect the PS5 from the internet to force it to install the game from the disc.

Last edited:
I got it a few weeks back after having similar worries as you. My main concerns were the grind and lack of content.

I only play offline and havnt really got into a GT game since GT2 but played them upto GT5 Prologue.

As far as offline content goes, there seems to be more than enough for me. I have only spent 4.5 hours driving in the game, but so far there have been a good selection of tracks and cars that are both readily available when following the "career" path.

I have not, and will not, use any microtransactions to advance my progress and have not found this limiting, or even noticable, in any way. I have not had to grind for anything and if anything, I would say GT7 is far less of a grind than GT1 or GT2 were.

I have 35 cars in my garage, 32 of these were prizes for finishing 3rd or higher in a race or championship. I have 250,000 credits after spending: About 15k to buy my first car; 300k (I think) on a "Sega Rally" Toyota, for nostalgia reasons; 100k (ish) upgrading a 1960s Mini Cooper, because its really fun to drive; 40k, multiple times, for soft racing tyres. I think I can sell any of those cars, so getting credits does not seem to be a problem at all.

To begin with I found the driving simulation to be pretty meh as there was a real lack of feeling. But this seems to be due to the tracks and cars that you begin with. When the tracks get more difficult, with elevation/camber changes and widely varying speeds, and the cars get faster, so you can push the tryes, it got much more enjoyable and the feedback from the controller gives a good feel for whats going on with the car.

So far, the only complaints I have are:
  • Its a little kooky, like a 90's JRPG and a serious racing game had a baby.
  • Forcing people to sit through a 10 minute video when you boot the game for the first time, or every time you boot the game until you figure out how to disable it, is not cool.
  • I have had quite a few instances of the game crashing and returning me to the dashboard.
  • I bought the disc version and for whatever reason, it doesnt recognize the disc is in the console when installing the game. This means the PS5 wants to download the 90GB file and I had to disconnect the PS5 from the internet to force it to install the game from the disc.
I'm guessing the version on the disc is superseded by the latest version online where you'd need to download all the latest update patches and up to date content. 90GB is huge though. That was one reason why I didn't want to buy it so soon, but had a gift card to use.

First thanks for everyones responce, appreciate it.

Still somewhat on the fence, moreso a time issue. Have a collection of old games that I'm slowly playing completely through (current ps1, spyro 2). Its such a shame it requires online as if I do get it it's not something that can be played 20 years later like the GT series PS3 and below.

Might after I've finished going through PS1 - bout 10 more games so it doesnt distract me from that lol...

Last edited:
First thanks for everyones responce, appreciate it.

Still somewhat on the fence, moreso a time issue. Have a collection of old games that I'm slowly playing completely through (current ps1, spyro 2). Its such a shame it requires online as if I do get it it's not something that can be played 20 years later like the GT series PS3 and below.

Might after I've finished going through PS1 - bout 10 more games so it doesnt distract me from that lol...

Sounds like you have alot of retro-gaming ahead of you before you play a modern racing game.

One last thing about Wreckfest.

I played alot of 'racing sims' in the early-to-mid 2000s and one issue I always ran into is with offline play you either had to have the best car on the track or you're going to lose... unless the AI was stupid.

But with Wreckfest, its more about driving smart... and surviving... than who has the best car. Because the guy in 1st COULD hit a wrecked car when going too fast and if that doesn't immediately wreck him it could damage him so badly it severely slows him down for the rest of the race.

And another issue with racing sims is... they have shit physiques when it comes to car-to-car collisions. Hundreds of times I hit another car and bounced off and there's no damage to either of us.

But in Wreckfest, its not to your advantage to hit other cars because you'll be damaged yourself, but if you're on a 1v1 situation, it would be.

I have 100 hours playing this offline and it was the most fun game I played on PS4.

I've only played gt7 online in lobbies with friends. We had a lot of Honda beat races and other low powered low grip races. Right now.im having a blast with snow runner. Very different kind of game but I love it. So much fun hauling loads with big rigs and climbing rocks with jeeps. Plus I can sip my beer halfway through a run

Sounds like you have alot of retro-gaming ahead of you before you play a modern racing game.

One last thing about Wreckfest.

I played alot of 'racing sims' in the early-to-mid 2000s and one issue I always ran into is with offline play you either had to have the best car on the track or you're going to lose... unless the AI was stupid.

But with Wreckfest, its more about driving smart... and surviving... than who has the best car. Because the guy in 1st COULD hit a wrecked car when going too fast and if that doesn't immediately wreck him it could damage him so badly it severely slows him down for the rest of the race.

And another issue with racing sims is... they have shit physiques when it comes to car-to-car collisions. Hundreds of times I hit another car and bounced off and there's no damage to either of us.

But in Wreckfest, its not to your advantage to hit other cars because you'll be damaged yourself, but if you're on a 1v1 situation, it would be.

I have 100 hours playing this offline and it was the most fun game I played on PS4.

was just about to pick this up for 12 bucks on steam but then i realised its on game pass. downloading now.

guess ill never get around to finishing up my forza 7 campaign now

One thing I remember maybe from GT6 was one kart race was absolutely impossible until I googled and found you have to fiddle with something with the gears that affects quicker shifts and acceleration. Never had to fiddle with that in past GT games.

was just about to pick this up for 12 bucks on steam but then i realised its on game pass. downloading now.

guess ill never get around to finishing up my forza 7 campaign now

Happy to hear my extremely high praise isn't heard by deaf ears.

One thing though - If you're playing on Series S/X the next-gen upgrade is $10.

I hate it, but can't deny its 100% worth the extra $10. Don't know if the season pass additions are extra on Gamepass but I'd recommend them too.

Happy to hear my extremely high praise isn't heard by deaf ears.

One thing though - If you're playing on Series S/X the next-gen upgrade is $10.

I hate it, but can't deny its 100% worth the extra $10. Don't know if the season pass additions are extra on Gamepass but I'd recommend them too.

grabbing it on pc. i have game pass ultimate (basically game pass and EA Play games for both xbox and pc) and this game is on game pass. if nobody is playing it online on pc ill just try again on my series x though.

i dont think theres any kind of an upgrade. just for consoles. id have to look further into it though. if its just graphic adjustments or framerate unlocks i wouldnt expect any extra versions or anything for pc. yeah im looking at it now and all there is is a bunch of season pass and car pack DLC available for purchase.

ive got it installed now but a hockey games about to start. gonna have to wait a bit to get my wreck on

Last edited:
i dont think theres any kind of an upgrade. just for consoles. id have to look further into it though. if its just graphic adjustments or framerate unlocks i wouldnt expect any extra versions or anything for pc. yeah im looking at it now and all there is is a bunch of season pass and car pack DLC available for purchase.

Yeah, hopefully PC gamepass hooks you up with everything.

This is one of the rare games I have little problem with additional content being extra $$$ because there's no question they took a massive risk on this game. Racing sims have been the standard for 20+ years with new few exceptions, and to make a huge racing game with online support when the only games like it were the Destruction Derby games from the late 90s? (And they weren't very good even then?)

I wholeheartedly commend them for doing something this ballsey, and I'll support it any way I can because there's huge potential for a sequel and possibly other developers making their own similar game where fun is the focus, not realism.

Especially if more and more racing sim franchises go of the way of paying for individual licensed cars. That will be the death of the genre, eventually.

Yeah, hopefully PC gamepass hooks you up with everything.

This is one of the rare games I have little problem with additional content being extra $$$ because there's no question they took a massive risk on this game. Racing sims have been the standard for 20+ years with new few exceptions, and to make a huge racing game with online support when the only games like it were the Destruction Derby games from the late 90s? (And they weren't very good even then?)

I wholeheartedly commend them for doing something this ballsey, and I'll support it any way I can because there's huge potential for a sequel and possibly other developers making their own similar game where fun is the focus, not realism.

Especially if more and more racing sim franchises go of the way of paying for individual licensed cars. That will be the death of the genre, eventually.

giving the game a shot now....my first race was a demolition derby...on ride-on fucking lawnmowers. hilarity ensued. got 12 wrecks and won by a landslide. could have gotten more except i was at critical damage near the end of the thing and i dont know what happens if i get completely annihilated so i spent the last little bit just avoiding everybody but still accidentilly wrecking a couple racers.

yeah i can get into this one alright.

Back