GRACIE v SHAMROCK III, CERRONE v OLIVEIRA (New Extended Gracie Breakdown)

SBJ

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
NEW EXTENDED VERSION!!

Rener and Lyoto did an impromptu breakdown the day after the fight, but there wasn't enough time to discuss entire fight. With Ryron back in the mix, the Gracie Brothers were able to dig into all the critical details of fight from Royce's impeccable distance management and classic Gracie Jiu-jitsu clinch-entry timing to the rear takedown and the finish from modified mount. They also go over the spectacular Triangle Choke from mount that Donald Cerrone used to defeat Alex Oliveira at UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh!

roycegracie.jpg

image.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think this fight really needs a Gracie breakdown. Accidental nut shot, a few punches, a feeling like I needed to take a shower after watching it, and it was over. Not much analysis needed.

How about a breakdown of Dada 5000 vs Kimbo Slice?

How about a breakdown of Dada 5000 vs Kimbo Slice?

Haha. Apparently one of the judges was laughing uncontrollably during the fight, and the Spanish language broadcasters were laughing hysterically and making fun of the fight the whole time. That would be an excellent breakdown.

Wow, they really will do a Gracie Breakdown of anything

Who would have thought they are going to make excuses for Royce?

if Royce was smart he would have said it was an accident and/or unintentional. Instead, he gave a clue that he kneed Shammy in the sack because he comes from the old school of "Anything Goes".

if Royce was smart he would have said it was an accident and/or unintentional. Instead, he gave a clue that he kneed Shammy in the sack because he comes from the old school of "Anything Goes".

That's not true. Royce said even though they started when there was no rules and no gloves, the knee didn't hit his groin. I guess that's why there was such a delayed reaction. Ken realized too late that he should milk a near groin shot.

"I'm very happy, that was my first knockout," the 49-year old Gracie said during the post-fight press conference. "But, I was telling Ken, we come from an era where there was no time limit, no weight division, no gloves, no rules, groin shots were allowed. But it did not catch his groin."

I always liked how in Renzo's ''Mastering BJJ'' book they had a section on groin shots, the first sentence of which was something like 'Many people consider the kick to the groin to be the ultimate technique...' :D

years of discipline, training, mastering of complex movements, comitting them to muscle memory; white belt, blue belt, all the way to black...
'Master, I'm ready. What is the ultimate technique?'
'The nut shot'

Of course it needs a breakdown. Helio invented the nut shot, dontcha know? :p
and Royce learned it well (there used to be a funny pic of the aftermath of the Royce/Yoshida II nutshot around... but I can't find it! or even any galleries of the event anymore... buried in the internet sands of time already :( )

That's not true. Royce said even though they started when there was no rules and no gloves, the knee didn't hit his groin. I guess that's why there was such a delayed reaction. Ken realized too late that he should milk a near groin shot.

"I'm very happy, that was my first knockout," the 49-year old Gracie said during the post-fight press conference. "But, I was telling Ken, we come from an era where there was no time limit, no weight division, no gloves, no rules, groin shots were allowed. But it did not catch his groin."

I didn't see the post fight presser. It's good he corrected that and said it didn't hit his groin. I was referring to his interview in the ring right after the fight. All Royce basically said in the ring immediately after the fight was basically "I'm a fighter from a time where anything goes..."

I didn't see the post fight presser. It's good he corrected that and said it didn't hit his groin. I was referring to his interview in the ring right after the fight. All Royce basically said in the ring immediately after the fight was basically "I'm a fighter from a time where anything goes..."

That was right after the fight, so he obviously couldn't get all his thoughts together.

Overall I'm glad Royce won, I wanted him to jump on Ken with a sub instead of hammer fists for old time's sake.

It's obvious from the side angle replay that Royce barely grazed the top of Ken's cup. Most of the impact went into Ken's gut.

Just like Yocheata, Ken tried to milk the contact into his advantage.

Ken Shamrock's reputation as a fighting legend has long-confounded me. He certainly was in all the right OG MMA places at all the right times, but his record has a long pattern of bizarre performances like the one from last night (with a scant amount of impressive performances to counterbalance). Recall that his superfights with Dan Severn and Royce are still maybe the two worst fights in UFC history, particularly considering the anticipation going into both. I do believe that Ken had some talent at one time, but clearly he has some kind of long-standing mental issue about the prospect of losing that causes him to do weird things in the cage in a preemptive effort to save face.

Royce knees ken in his Ass-aye-eee berries , hammerfists him and it needs a breakdown? Man these guys...

IIRC the 2nd Dan Severn fight had a lot to do with some politics. He had heart palpitations in one of his fights in japan also. He definitely does have an ego with losing to guys that in all fairness are a winnable fight if he plays his cards right; probably why it haunts him daily and will until he is old. I feel bad for the guy almost for not being able to get over it. He should have retired after the 2nd Kimo fight.

I still remember ken vs. Tito fiasco. That was such a disaster dana put the rematch on for free.

Ken Shamrock's reputation as a fighting legend has long-confounded me. He certainly was in all the right OG MMA places at all the right times, but his record has a long pattern of bizarre performances like the one from last night (with a scant amount of impressive performances to counterbalance). Recall that his superfights with Dan Severn and Royce are still maybe the two worst fights in UFC history, particularly considering the anticipation going into both. I do believe that Ken had some talent at one time, but clearly he has some kind of long-standing mental issue about the prospect of losing that causes him to do weird things in the cage in a preemptive effort to save face.

I never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense how you put it. Good job. Probably explains why he has 5 excuses for every loss on his record.

I am highly disappointed in Rener,
This should have been used to PLUG the heck out of Gracie Combatives for Street Self-defense
Use Korean Tang Soo Do kicks from outside to keep opponent at bay since everyone on the STREETZ is dangerous w punches
Get in close, knee the nuts, knee the head, easy takedown then to Gracie JJ.
Control the Distance, keep safe, then let em drown in your world since you are a Shark
Gracie Combatives

I am highly disappointed in Rener,
This should have been used to PLUG the heck out of Gracie Combatives for Street Self-defense
Use Korean Tang Soo Do kicks from outside to keep opponent at bay since everyone on the STREETZ is dangerous w punches
Get in close, knee the nuts, knee the head, easy takedown then to Gracie JJ.
Control the Distance, keep safe, then let em drown in your world since you are a Shark
Gracie Combatives

not sure ballsack shots pass the helio filter

It did of course,
Helio once said any fool can do a nut shot on the streetz,
I prefer to have nut shots, jiu-jitsu, and a .45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back