gracie jiu-jitsu vs. bjj/jj

cgracie14

White Belt
Reaction score
What is the difference between joining a school that's affliated with Gracie Academy or GB and a school that teaches jiu-jitsu?? is there a difference in what you know?

nothing really, the only difference is that Gracie Academy puts more emphasis on self-defense and they have their own carefully structured curricullum

Traditional jiu-jitsu seems to focus more on gaining top control and throws. Several submissions from the bottom were invented by Helio I believe.

Some of the Gracies (*cough* Rorion *cough*) would like you to believe that there is only one "real" jiujitsu -- Gracie Jiujitsu, and everything else is an inferior clone.

This is patently ridiculous on the basis that things that work, work, regardless of what they are called.

Rorion may have an argument that a lot of jiu-jitsu schools overemphasize "sport jiujitsu" and underemphasize "self defence applications of jiujitsu", but this is something that is going to differ school by school, and there are probably many non-gracie schools that have a greater emphasis on "self defence applications" than a gracie school.

Historically however, a lot of the Gracie schools have been seen to be a little more "dogmatic" in their teaching of jiujitsu, whereas most non-Gracie's will have a more open mind. The basic question is this, if you had a choice between going to a doctor from 1910 or 2010, where would you go? Similarly, if you want to learn ground fighting from someone in 1910 or 2010, where would you go?

Also, if the school you're going to is not rolling on a regular basis (re: every class), it should not be classified as brazilian jiujitsu period.

This has to be the 3rd or 4th time in a month someone's asked this, surely it's in the FAQ?

if u have an issue, don't click on it the thread. damn i didn't think it was that hard, "surely" you had to know that. lol..i looked for a minute and didn't see it.

van1ty, i like the example. got it....

if u have an issue, don't click on it the thread. damn i didn't think it was that hard, "surely" you had to know that. lol..i looked for a minute and didn't see it.

van1ty, i like the example. got it....

I clicked because perhaps there was something worth reading in here. I found that not to be the case, and made a comment reflecting that.

We need to stop having this thread over and over. Can someone make a really fantastic, unbiased, and agreeable post answering TS's question so that I can sticky it?

Traditional jiu-jitsu seems to focus more on gaining top control and throws. Several submissions from the bottom were invented by Helio I believe.

Judo already had the triangle (sankaku-gatame), the omoplata (ude-garami), and of course the kimura (gyaku-ude garami).

What is the difference between joining a school that's affliated with Gracie Academy or GB and a school that teaches jiu-jitsu?? is there a difference in what you know?

Are you asking about the difference between "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" and traditional jujitsu? Or between Gracie Jiu Jitsu and what's commonly called BJJ (to the extent that there are differences at all)? Because those are very different questions.

if you go to a Gracie afflilated school, your basically paying for the name of the fighting style your learns. BJJ classes are much cheaper then GJJ classes even though they are they same thing. Parnes Jiu Jitsu is still up there. top 5 Jiu Jitsu games

Last edited:
We need to stop having this thread over and over. Can someone make a really fantastic, unbiased, and agreeable post answering TS's question so that I can sticky it?

Wow, you're not asking for much are you?:icon_lol: If someone can do that maybe they could also come up with a grand unified theory in physics in their spare time.

Back