• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

government replaces food pyramid

Animal products, fruits, and vegetables; each in as whole a form as possible. Telling people anything else is just more of the same shit.

wait, corn is bad? D: noooooooo...

so i should be sticking to carrots, broccoli, asparagus, and green beans?

and bananas no good either? what fruits are good and bad?

Yes, apples and bananas will kill you. My grandfather ate an apple a day for 85 years and then out of nowhere, heart attack.

Calling apples and bananas unhealthy is absurd.

Saw this on the news this morning, was hoping that they would change it for the better.....nope!

Yes, apples and bananas will kill you. My grandfather ate an apple a day for 85 years and then out of nowhere, heart attack.

Calling apples and bananas unhealthy is absurd.

No one said they were "unhealthy".

But they will put fat on your @ss if you consume too much.

Recommending them as daily consumption to fight obesity is absurd.

No one said they were "unhealthy".

But they will put fat on your @ss if you consume too much.

Recommending them as daily consumption to fight obesity is absurd.

Actually, Ironpants said they were unhealthy. Look here:

Interseting how apples and bananas aretouted as "health foods".

Apples and bananas are healthy. Nobody is eating too many of them and getting fat. It's the other 95% of their daily diet that's the problem.

Actually, Ironpants said they were unhealthy. Look here:

Apples and bananas are healthy. Nobody is eating too many of them and getting fat. It's the other 95% of their daily diet that's the problem.

That doesn't imply that it's "unhealthy".

They have a small amount of antioxidents and nutrients (healthy) and a shitload of sugar (weight gain) in them. You can still be healthy and have excess weight/body fat unless we're talking serious obesity here..

I should have been more specific and said "weight loss" food, which often means "health" food to most people.

You may want to consider that earlier in human history, when we lived more by natural bio-rhythms, the whole purpose of consuming high levels of glucose (the craving for which are corresponding to insulin levels) was to fatten up. And that's not a detracting statement to these foods. In that sense they assured our survival. It's strictly a product of modern thinking that these foods should be consumed in high quantities (more than one serving per day) throughout the year.

sinister what i am getting from your post is, do eat these foods but in moderation ? wrong or right ?

t1larg.my.plate.jpg

Real plate should be: Protein & veg trade places, grains & dairy trade places?

sinister what i am getting from your post is, do eat these foods but in moderation ? wrong or right ?

That's one interpretation. Another could be that unless you need to fatten-up for the winter, they're not a necessity. But I don't have a problem with them being eaten in moderation in any way. Just the suggestion that there's nothing inherently wrong with ABUNDANCE.

It's pretty vauge. Your right though, someone could decide to get their fruit and vegtable proportion from high sugar foods like corn, grapes, bananas, apples and shit like that instead of broccolli, spinach and berries which is actually more realistic in terms of what average people really choose for fruits and veggies.

High sugar fruits and starchy vegtables (corn namely, people love this shit) can fuck you over just as bad as candy... Interseting how apples and bananas aretouted as "health foods".

Guess they failed again

1. Corn is not a vegetable, it's a grain.

2. Apples are "unhealthy"? Big WTF moment here!

1. Corn is not a vegetable, it's a grain.

2. Apples are "unhealthy"? Big WTF moment here!

It's more associeted as a vegetable though, even if it's technically not, being sold in stores in the produce dept along with VEGETABLES.

Show me where I said it's unhealthy? I said it's high in sugars, and it's not a "health" food only as in something you'd eat for weight loss.

You may want to consider that earlier in human history, when we lived more by natural bio-rhythms, the whole purpose of consuming high levels of glucose (the craving for which are corresponding to insulin levels) was to fatten up. And that's not a detracting statement to these foods. In that sense they assured our survival. It's strictly a product of modern thinking that these foods should be consumed in high quantities (more than one serving per day) throughout the year.

But to my point, do you really think that the people who are eating more than one serving of fruit per day are the same as the people I'm describing (overweight/obese people)? People that eat an abundance of fruit (say 2 or 3 servings per day) are generally health-conscious and are more likely to be underweight. The overweight/obese are eating breads, cakes, pies, fast food, processed foods, all calorie-rich foods. I think my statement was correct and that to call fruit unhealthy and to suggest that it is contributing to the obesity epidemic strikes me as a little silly.

But to my point, do you really think that the people who are eating more than one serving of fruit per day are the same as the people I'm describing (overweight/obese people)? People that eat an abundance of fruit (say 2 or 3 servings per day) are generally health-conscious and are more likely to be underweight. The overweight/obese are eating breads, cakes, pies, fast food, processed foods, all calorie-rich foods. I think my statement was correct and that to call fruit unhealthy and to suggest that it is contributing to the obesity epidemic strikes me as a little silly.

i think what sinister and ironpants are getting at is, no fat fuck who works in a cubicle all day should need to eat pineapples and bananas. just because modern agriculture and technology allow for fat people in cool climates to eat all the high fructose jungle fruits they desire, doesn't mean it's a good idea. unless you're hunting and gathering under the sun all day wearing rags made from animal fur, you don't need so many servings of such fruit. i think to say that fruits are contributing to the obesity epidemic is perfectly fair. to whom fruits pose the most risk to in terms of causing obesity is a better point, though. consider of all the overweight vegetarians/vegans - especially the ones who take nutrition seriously - how many of them can blame in part their overconsumption of "healthy fruits".

edit: although fruits themselves are not to blame, it's worthy to mention our fixation on "fruit juices" and the health problems they've directly caused. most of us don't realize fruit juices are worse for you than soda, and remain under the illusion that it's a healthy beverage, especially for kids.

edit: although fruits themselves are not to blame, it's worthy to mention our fixation on "fruit juices" and the health problems they've directly caused. most of us don't realize fruit juices are worse for you than soda, and remain under the illusion that it's a healthy beverage, especially for kids.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right on this point. I see people all the time that are obese and , consistently eat fruit and drink fruit juices in large amounts. These are also the people that tend to complain that they are overweight and do not know why. The whole issue boils down to moderation.

It's sad that entire countries need their government to dictate what they ought to be eating on a daily basis. Guess I'm one of the few that come from a country where 1) the government doesn't care and 2) you get beaten as a child for not eating veggies and there's no such thing as child protective services :p

It's sad that entire countries need their government to dictate what they ought to be eating on a daily basis. Guess I'm one of the few that come from a country where 1) the government doesn't care and 2) you get beaten as a child for not eating veggies and there's no such thing as child protective services :p

In primary school I grew up learning about the food pyramid and thought it was an accurate model to base your diet around until a year ago. If governments push out correct eating guidelines that are taught from a young age I'm sure there'll be a culture shift away from grains and refined foots to natural and whole.

Paradise?

i think what sinister and ironpants are getting at is, no fat fuck who works in a cubicle all day should need to eat pineapples and bananas. just because modern agriculture and technology allow for fat people in cool climates to eat all the high fructose jungle fruits they desire, doesn't mean it's a good idea. unless you're hunting and gathering under the sun all day wearing rags made from animal fur, you don't need so many servings of such fruit. i think to say that fruits are contributing to the obesity epidemic is perfectly fair. to whom fruits pose the most risk to in terms of causing obesity is a better point, though. consider of all the overweight vegetarians/vegans - especially the ones who take nutrition seriously - how many of them can blame in part their overconsumption of "healthy fruits".

edit: although fruits themselves are not to blame, it's worthy to mention our fixation on "fruit juices" and the health problems they've directly caused. most of us don't realize fruit juices are worse for you than soda, and remain under the illusion that it's a healthy beverage, especially for kids.

I have a hard time picturing a fat guy sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night to gorge on apples. It just seems that the big tub of ice cream in the freezer would be more tempting. I don't believe fruit (in whole form) is connected to obesity at all.

Your point about fruit juices is valid though. We water down juice we give to our kids and I hardly ever drink it anymore.

Regarding the icon, the lack of any mention of fats (even PUFAs, which are considered "healthy" but just about everyone) is puzzling. Other than that it is a significant improvement compared to the old food pyramid.

Back