Got promoted to Blue Belt, feeling more self-conscious than excited

that's because the bb are letting you pass their guard :)

Haha, that may be true. But, HONESTLY (I know, I'm "that guy") some of them were legit passes, because they came off failed triangle/armbar baits. I've never passed our BB's with the basic guard passes unless it was obvious they were slow-rolling me to let me work.

Now, that said, for every 1 triangle/armbar bait that I was able to pass a BB guard with..........there were 50 times I got choked or nearly had my arm broke.

show up to class and literally let everybody tap you but not in an obvious you gave them it kind of way.

when the world doesnt explode and nobody says shit you will realize it doesnt matter and you can try and do anything in training.

i know lots of ppl that would never do it, they cant bring themselves to let ppl "lower" than them tap them, its some weird shit. once you let go of that crap you can start learning faster and put yourself in spots to learn more often.

Just outta curiosity, were you tapping out blue belts that have been training for 2 years or less in no-gi grappling?

My 1st gym I went from about Nov05'-NOV06' opened right after the 1st season of Tuf aired. To Capitalize on the popularity of MMA the jiujitsu class was actually called MMA despite the fact there was so striking. There were no ranks so I never really knew what people's experience level was. I did decent though same as now, give a little take a little. Shit like experience didn't cross my mind cuz there were no belts. The clientele was a little diff cuz it was the MMA crowd

One year into my blue belt and I still feel like a white belt.

Ive been blue for only a few months, I felt the same way at first, but once you decide it doesn't matter if you get tapped, then you'll improve, because you will be more willing try new or risky stuff rather than just being defensive or only using your go to moves & submissions.

lately Ive been letting people (mostly white belts) get me in submissions (most of the way) and trying to escape, sometimes I get out, much of the time I tap. no big deal. White belts are great to practice new stuff on, but sometimes they'll get you.

I think its also important to remember people come from all different backgrounds, some may have done BJJ at other places, some may have done other kinds of wrestling or combat sport.

Ive been blue for only a few months, I felt the same way at first, but once you decide it doesn't matter if you get tapped, then you'll improve, because you will be more willing try new or risky stuff rather than just being defensive or only using your go to moves & submissions.

lately Ive been letting people (mostly white belts) get me in submissions (most of the way) and trying to escape, sometimes I get out, much of the time I tap. no big deal. White belts are great to practice new stuff on, but sometimes they'll get you.

I think its also important to remember people come from all different backgrounds, some may have done BJJ at other places, some may have done other kinds of wrestling or combat sport.

I think this captures it right here, I remember sparring a guy and just not being able to land a single hit, to make matters worse every once in a while he would do some crazy spinning kick that I had no idea what to do with other than to get the f$%$ out of the way, later I learned he had been a "junior" blackbelt for over 3 years.

Congratulations on the promotion man. Blue belt is a very tough rank to be at, especially mentally, and they don't call it the "blue belt blues" for nothing.

One of the biggest things is the vast differences in skill at blue belt. Some blue belts are just a little better than white belts, other blue belts could be purple. Just show up, put your time in, and train. That is the most important thing.

As far as getting tapped by white belts, don't sweat it. I'm a purple belt and while I can play around with most white belts and easily beat them, occasionally I come across that physical freak who gives me a run for my money. One white belt at my school is about ten years younger than me, played football most of his life, was good enough to get a scholarship to play college football, and he dabbled a bit in judo and jiu-jitsu through the years, not serious study though. He is younger, bigger, waaaay stronger and explosive, and he doesn't make obviously bad mistakes, plus he has about 40lbs on me. Trust me when I say that you're going to come across guys, even white belts, who will rough you up and make you feel like you suck.

All you can do is trust in your jiu-jitsu and work on your technique. Take the long view and keep on training. Don't worry about your ego, sometimes getting beaten up and tapped is the best thing that can happen.

I almost feel like there is a bigger gap at blue belt than there is at white belt.

It's easy to get discouraged as a new blue belt, I see it at my own club. A few guys who were recently promoted to blue belt were getting smashed by 4 stripe blue and they stated to doubt there rank.

I'd look and see how you stack up against the white belt. If you see a nice gap, then you're likely the right rank. If you were just promoted to blue, don't compare yourself to guys who have been blue for 2+ years. These guys are likely close to purple.

Everyone I think feels this ( speaking from limited knowledge ). Theres purples at my school who are in their mid 40s who will obviously get troubled by 20 year old athletic white belts. It just happens, and especially if that younger lion has a weight and height advantage. Just treat it as your personal journey and not compare yourself. That's my logic anyway lol

I just root for everyone else to get promoted, so that by process of elimination I will eventually be the best blue belt in the gym and finally feel like a legit blue belt.

Back