got my first legit tap

Fight_Song said:
whenever i'm about to secure a submission in rolling, the guy i'm rolling with just stops and lets me finish it and starts giving pointers and shit. i get all excited i'm going to get the tap and then it's magically like he gave it to me. this happened 2-3 times wednesday. really took the steam out.

someday, the clean tap will come. aiming for woody after eric or someone tires him well enough.
Dont worry about those guys. There was a post on here a while back and his type was listed, i forget if they call them the professor type or what. you will run into them from time to time, they stop and "talk you through it" jus tbefore you tap em. Concicder those a real tap, the guy just doesnt want to fess up to it. Congrats!

I feel ya brother. Such good memories of getting my ass kicked, and then overcoming that. Even though I got the blue belt and can torture the dudes under me, the purple belts and above sitll whoop me good. So, be ready for a good 10 years of ass kicking until you get that black beezy.

My first tap was against a blue belt and it was my fourth day of BJJ.I subbed him with a RNC!

dutchmasterj3 said:
I feel ya brother. Such good memories of getting my ass kicked, and then overcoming that. Even though I got the blue belt and can torture the dudes under me, the purple belts and above sitll whoop me good. So, be ready for a good 10 years of ass kicking until you get that black beezy.

Even then there will probably be lots of black belts who will still kick a new black belt's ass!

Congrats man. It took me a while also to get my first tap but it was awesome.

I remember my first tap: it was against a guy who had been practicing for about a year and I got him with, of all things, a toehold!!

I know exactly how it feels to get your first tap. Congratulations, man; this is just the first of many.

I am looking for a women's class to roll in. Tapping people out is great no matter if it is your first or 400th. Especially when you roll for 10 minutes with a guy before you get him. When ever I tap someone quick I offer them a immediate rematch. I caught a guy in a guillotine once and tapped him and he caught me in a arm bar and almost snapped my elbow. I wished I hadn't done that, but oh well, a real man always grants a rematch.

Commissar said:
Yeah, BJJ has a tendancy of weeding out guys who won't make the cut.

A friend of mine did BJJ for about 5 months with me then stopped coming. Everyday that I see him at school, I flip him shit for not showing up. Needless to say, many other people just quit going.

awesome dude....yea it can get discourageing...but it's a game that takes tiem and patience....i know the feeling though...i used get myself really pumped on the way to my academy tellin myself "ok this time ur gonna get a tap...ur gonna get ur sub" ..lol...i know it's silly but sometimes that hype motivated me to wanna do better.

thats really cool, i'm not in jiu-jitsu, but i go to my boyfriends practices a lot to watch and I watched my boyfriend a get guillotined about 200 times in the first month or two before he got good enough to submit them..it looks like a lot of fun and hes really good now, and i wish you the best of luck !

Your boyfriend's name is David right? He trains in Murrieta with Ricardo right? He has a black gi right?

Your boyfriends name is David right? He has a black gi right? He trains with Ricardo in Murrieta right?

Commissar said:
Yeah, BJJ has a tendancy of weeding out guys who won't make the cut.

I think BJJ is all about determination, people who quit in the first few months are the ones who really don't want to learn BJJ, they just thought cause they did good in sports automatically they are going to be god's next gift to BJJ and find out the harsh reality of the first few months of grappling training. I get tapped ALL the time in class by all the belt colors and it doens't even concern me, after class is over i can hardly sleep thinking about how I did in class that day and what mistakes I made so i don't make them again.

People who get pissed about getting tapped all the time usually don't last that long, their ego's get the best of them. I know that with time my technique will improve and just the thought of that is enough to keep me motivated to keep going to class even if i get tapped by everyone.

GuardGame said:
Your boyfriend's name is David right? He trains in Murrieta with Ricardo right? He has a black gi right?
It looks like she lives in Ohio, not murrieta.

I tapped a guy but he was a begginer like me so it wasnt such a big deal but it felt good thouigh not getting dominated.

When I started BJJ in a beginners class, I could tap them all, 90% in the triangle and the rest armbar from mount, but that was because they didn't have any experience at all. Now I've been training for 3 months and still can tap (almost) all of the beginners without problem. and last wednesday I was this close *holds up fingers* to tap out a blue belt. I think I'm gonna take him today! :D

Congratulations man. I didn't score a tap until my 14th lesson...although that was my 14th lesson in 5 months. I tapped a white belt with a kimura from sidemount. Since then I've got more taps with the same move, a triangle submission and a couple of arm triangles. Still no armbar for me (which is really starting to annoy me!) or rear naked choke. Hopefully they'll come soon. Nevertheless I'm still getting my arse kicked every which way especially when I grapple with the blue belts.

getting your butt kicked is discouraging, but if a guy walked in off the street and tapped a purple that would be sort of discouraging too. (maybe I should choose a better martial art)

so the difficulty of the art gives it credibility. Congrats on your first tap...im sure youve earned it!

Back