Got my blue

Headache said:
I was not questioning the time it took him, I wanted to know what you do in the test itself.

There's no test at John Machado's, John just keeps watch on how you roll over time. Also he gives you your belt, no fee. I like that a lot better than the tests/stripes/pay model.

The real bummer though was that a guy I was rolling later that day dislocated his rib when I had taken his back and was trying to flatten him out -- I felt terrible. :icon_cry2

That is an amazing accomplishment. Good job!

johil d'o said:
5 months is very quick by most standards. I've never seen anyone get blue in less than 1 year at my school.

John gives them out basically when you are ready to come to the advanced class and
can roll mostly unsupervised without hurting yourself or others. Then you stay a blue belt for years after -- there are no stripes or anything like that -- he seems to treat it kinda like a learners permit -- there is a very very wide range of skill amongst the blue belts at the school.

I have to give thanks to Bammann45 for tons of helpful advice.

The blues do seem to have a really wide range at the school -- the higher blues are all incredibly good, and as for me ... I am only just beginning to perceive what I'm supposed to be learning. Purples are in another world. I don't know how it is at other schools.

Great job dude. Enjoy the blue while you have it... purple comes too soon, and if you think blue is a big target wait till then. Our school is having a belt promotion this Saturday, and people are giving me a bad time about brown (I know that I'm not ready yet, they're just trying to scare me). This must be the time of year for promotions though.

Ybot said:
Great job dude. Enjoy the blue while you have it... purple comes too soon, and if you think blue is a big target wait till then. Our school is having a belt promotion this Saturday, and people are giving me a bad time about brown (I know that I'm not ready yet, they're just trying to scare me).

You never know. In my experience Ybot, no one ever thinks they're ready for those higher belts. How long have you been rolling again?

I've been training for 5 1/2 years, and have never won a match at a purple belt level in compitition.. doesn't matter much I know, but I think that I'm a more middle of the road purple.

Ybot said:
I've been training for 5 1/2 years, and have never won a match at a purple belt level in compitition.. doesn't matter much I know, but I think that I'm a more middle of the road purple.

Fair enough, but I've seen guys who just kick ass in the club but never seem to be able to turn it up at tournaments. They seem to promote just as quickly as the guys who do well in tournaments and are so-so in the club.
Anyway, keep us posted. Ya never know... :wink:

Bubble Boy said:
Fair enough, but I've seen guys who just kick ass in the club but never seem to be able to turn it up at tournaments. They seem to promote just as quickly as the guys who do well in tournaments and are so-so in the club.
Anyway, keep us posted. Ya never know... :wink:

agreed it seems like everyone ive trained with fits into these 2 categories.... its kinda funny if you think about it

At our club whites are expected to be "Good" before getting blue, so when the head coach and guests from Brazil come to the club they will be impressed at the high standard. One guy from our local affiliate club got his blue at the last headcoach seminar after 2.5years 3x a week and no one from our club got there blue, even though some guys have been training near 3 years.

I think its a bit harsh but lots of other bjj clubs follow similar standards.

yes in my school is very strange got the blue in less than 1 year.

First of all congrats.

It kind of makes you wonder how good BJ Penn is by getting his Black Belt in just 3 years. I have a boxing and Vale Tudo background and I feel like a fish out of water in Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Maybe some guys liek BJ, Matt Serra, Kenny Florian, Mir, Bustamente have Gracie Blood in thier veins and do not even know it.

Just a humble, bruised and battered

White Belt

genkisudo69 said:

Liar.

genkisudo69 said:
finally this week i got my blue belt . after one year and a half , it

genkisudo69 said:
i think what he meant was

"yes, in my school it is very strange to get the blue in less than a year."

BoB .... relax.. his english isn't too good but that don't make him a liar..

Back