got a chest injury, heard a crack in my sternum

dudnaito

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My friend and I were just grappling a little. BTW, grappling's not exactly my forte and my elasticity is questionable. He took me down and tried to pass my guard; his knee landed on my sternum, and i heard a crack. It wasn't really a terrible, just more of a "i popped my knuckle" kind of crack. I woke up the next day and felt a sharp pain in my sternum. It's been about 5 days and the pain has seemingly gone down a little, but it's changed. Now, this area underneath my chest muscles hurt. If I try to stretch my pecs, it hurts; also, when i cough it hurts a LOT more.

I'm not here to whine about the pain. Frankly, it's not THAT bad. It's just making me afraid to workout at the gym, and i'm a bit hesitant to see a doctor, cause i don't have any health insurance.

My friend and I were just grappling a little. BTW, grappling's not exactly my forte and my elasticity is questionable. He took me down and tried to pass my guard; his knee landed on my sternum, and i heard a crack. It wasn't really a terrible, just more of a "i popped my knuckle" kind of crack. I woke up the next day and felt a sharp pain in my sternum. It's been about 5 days and the pain has seemingly gone down a little, but it's changed. Now, this area underneath my chest muscles hurt. If I try to stretch my pecs, it hurts; also, when i cough it hurts a LOT more.

I'm not here to whine about the pain. Frankly, it's not THAT bad. It's just making me afraid to workout at the gym, and i'm a bit hesitant to see a doctor, cause i don't have any health insurance.

Dude I feel you about not having health insurance, it sucks that so many people are scared to see a doctor because of this problem. If the pain continues or gets worse, I highly advise at least getting it checked out by a doctor.

if you can't see a doc, i would get some over the counter anti-inflam's and take a full course, and don't do any more rolling till it's all better

thanks for the suggestions. It feels like it's getting better, but the pain seems to be jumping around. When I cough, it hurts right around my sternum, but when i stretch my pecs, it's the upper middle of my right chest that hurts.

Anyhow, any idea what kind of doctor or physical therapist i can see? And what would be the ballpark figure for a visit? I live in L.A.

You'll ultimately need to see an orthopaedist. Orthopaedics is the medical specialty that focuses on injuries and diseases of your body's musculoskeletal system. This complex system includes your bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves and allows you to move, work, and be active. That is the right specialty.

Sounds like you have costochondritis. See my original post above. Good luck.

hey man, was suffering from a slight chest injury about a year ago.

Until u have it x-rayed, we can just speculate about wether it's cartilage separation, fracture or pulled muscle.

In any case, the outcome is the same : let it rest and don t train on it. It may take like 2 months. Just be patient and don t fuck it up.

some people live with it for years... luckily i live in Aus, i went to my GP (free), got an X-ray (free), and my GP is gonna start with ultrasound therapy (free) and then cortisone shot if needed (free)

Find it hard to believe that people don't have health insurance.

codemonkey76 - is that you in your avatar, or is that Matt Brown?

i've never had anything dislocated in my life, so i couldn't say with certainty, but when my sternum cracked as friend's weight/knee crashed down on it... well... it wasn't that bad. It was just uncomfortable. The pain came the next day. I doubt it's anything too serious, but i'll definitely get it checked out.

And man, you really can't imagine anyone not having health insurance? Really? It's actually pretty easy to imagine it... at least in america.

Yea I can't imagine it, just get a full time job and boom health insurance.

I suffered this last week. There was an almighty crack from my chest when the guy I was rolling with drove his shoulder into my sternum while in mount. It wasn't sore all week until I trained again last night. The pain is weird- I can do all chest associated movements, but when I go to bend, I get a searing pain under my right pec? Any clues?

Back