Good routine with limited equipment

BatBoyJG

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I am gonna start lifting, I have come to the realization that I my ass is to skinny lol, and that any type of weight program will bring me BJJ to the next level. Right now the only gym available to me is Planet Fitness, pretty bad I know but its better then nothing. So with this in mind can you guys help me put together a good S&C program, that will help me in BJJ? I'll be training BJJ about 5 day's a week and lifting 2-3 times.
Thanks in advance

You'll have to define "limited equipment". I've never been in a Planet Fitness gym.

wasting your time. people here will say "READ THE FAQ AND FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF" :) So..figure out what workouts you can do, read through the 100's of links in the FAQ and find your own workout.

ya can squat with the smith machine

If they have dumbbells, you can do the Goblet Squat.

You can also Clean & Press and Snatch with dumbbells, using either one or two handed variations.

No Squat rack, just smith machines, and no free barbells

Find another gym.

Only it would be worth going to that gym if it had dumbells up to 200's or if you could ensamble them yourself, if not I believe you could do something beneficial doing weighted pistols, weighted chin ups, rows, ab wheel and most things ross emanait recommend, but IMO thats sub optimal for traditional strength training.

Find another gym.

Only it would be worth going to that gym if it had dumbells up to 200's or if you could ensamble them yourself, if not I believe you could do something beneficial doing weighted pistols, weighted chin ups, rows, ab wheel and most things ross emanait recommend, but IMO thats sub optimal for traditional strength training.

This. I obviously don't know what you're paying for membership, but of you want to large increases in strength, you're probably wasting your money. Sorry.

This may be useful:
Tutorials

The issue with the smith machine is the same as with all machines. The weight only moves in a single path, this means that (1) Each rep is identical, which causes the stress points of each rep to be identical, increasing the risk of injury, and (2) it means you don't have to control the weight, normally a weight has 3 degrees of freedom (up-down, left-right and forward-back) which means you have to stabilize/control the weight, but that's not the case with the smith machine.

Is the smith machine the absolute devil...no, but I'm pretty certain that you can find a gym with a squat rack somewhere in the Bronx...you may have to do some looking, it could be some hole in the wall, smalltime place, or maybe you know a guy who knows a guy with a power rack. You could also try posting on the EliteFTS Q&A under sick of my gym, where a common question-answer is where one person states their location, and that their current gym sucks, and another person repsonds with a good gym in that persons area. Seriously, it's not like you're in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to find a good gym.

This may be useful:
Tutorials

The issue with the smith machine is the same as with all machines. The weight only moves in a single path, this means that (1) Each rep is identical, which causes the stress points of each rep to be identical, increasing the risk of injury, and (2) it means you don't have to control the weight, normally a weight has 3 degrees of freedom (up-down, left-right and forward-back) which means you have to stabilize/control the weight, but that's not the case with the smith machine.

Is the smith machine the absolute devil...no, but I'm pretty certain that you can find a gym with a squat rack somewhere in the Bronx...you may have to do some looking, it could be some hole in the wall, smalltime place, or maybe you know a guy who knows a guy with a power rack. You could also try posting on the EliteFTS Q&A under sick of my gym, where a common question-answer is where one person states their location, and that their current gym sucks, and another person repsonds with a good gym in that persons area. Seriously, it's not like you're in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to find a good gym.

Dude I seriously learn something from almost every post you make on this subject. I would have never in a million years, figured that was it, I thought it was because the machine seems to help you lift. Like when there is no weight on it at all and the bar just slides up to the top.

This may be useful:
Tutorials

Also when you go do some real activity basketballl, helping someone stuck in the mud whatever you won't have done that motion at all before... and very easy to pop something then.

Seriously you live in NY whats wrong with all the YMCAs everywhere? Last time I was there I only had trouble finding a pool, not a gym. because they all clean their pools over christmas break at the same time. Even then pools weren't that hard to find.

Don't waste your time with Planet Fitness or give them your money.

If you are lifting for strength, and it sounds like you are, you are going to want to deadlift. Deadlifting is a staple of every S&C program out there. Planet Fitness doesn't allow you to do this exercise.

I've also heard that their dumbbells only go up to 60lbs and after a few weeks of working out you are going to be reaching for bigger dumbbells for rows and shrugs and dumbbell pressing.

tl;dr version: To get stronger you are going to have to lift heavy and PF doesn't allow this since they target average people who are into machines and are afraid/intimidated of "muscle heads."

Just wanted to give you guys an update, I ditched the planet fitness, and now am lifting at powerhouse gym. Looking forward to this taking my BJJ to the next level.

Back