Good idea or bad

TheNewGuy

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont really know where to post this so if im posting in the wrong place im sry. But my teacher just brought this vest and its look almost like a life vest but it had about 40 pounds of wieght on it. So I decided to wear it and just do regular trainning with it. So i was wondering if it would increase my speed and kicks or just hurt me later on. Has anyone try to do this before.

Hell yeah weighted vests are great for workouts. Try running the steps with them on, it's brutal.
I think it's a good idea to use it.

Never used one before and have never had trouble with increasing my speed through practice.

I was gonna post that you should wear a weighted vest while swimming but some n00b might take it seriously & friggin drown.........

judogido said:
I was gonna post that you should wear a weighted vest while swimming but some n00b might take it seriously & friggin drown.........

LOL. Great idea!

Unless you are a 100m or 200m sprinter trying to improve your record or just trying to destroy your joints theres no sence in wearing such things.

I think the vest is actually a pretty good idea. It's no worse than wearing wrist/ankle weights. Now, that will mess with your joints.

Kyryllo said:
Unless you are a 100m or 200m sprinter trying to improve your record.

I actually do trace but i dont do 200m sprint, my coach told me dont try that it wear u down very fast and can hurt you.

Did I get you right? To wear it while kickboxing or boxing? That is a really bad idea. It will throw you of on your techique and is simply unecesary wear and tear on your joints. The small increase in conditioning could be more eficiently gained by increasing the intensity on your conditioning drills. I say dont do it.

For hill sprints, running stairs and as an easy way to make body weight excersices more dificult at the other hand can be whery eficient. -If- your body is conditioned for it and your joints can handle it.

does anybody know where to even get any weighted clothing, or ones you can put on your wrists and ankles? I didn't see any in sports or martial arts stores, is there a place online where you can buy them?

Weighted vests would be good while practicing controlled, slower shadowboxing and such, or katas, if you do traditional MA.

i personally have never worn the weighted vest or wanted to for that matter. but it can increase the intensity of a workout easier, but in the end hard work is what is going to pay off. instead of wearing the vest, just make an effort to work that bit harder...and that way the risk of injury isnt increased like it would be with the vest

Or just run out and gain a quick 40lbs...sorry.

Very bad idea. You should only use it during shadow boxing and jumping rope.

I had a guy with a Master's Degree in Physical Education (focus on Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology) tell me that, other than the mental benefit of feeling quicker when you take it off, these kind of things are useless.

Tristram Shandy said:
I had a guy with a Master's Degree in Physical Education (focus on Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology) tell me that, other than the mental benefit of feeling quicker when you take it off, these kind of things are useless.

Very true. I think you can develop explosiveness and such through other methods. Plus it might seriously hinder you while moving around.

krellik said:
That is a really bad idea. It will throw you of on your techique and is simply unecesary wear and tear on your joints. QUOTE]

That is the main concern I see with having 40 + lbs of weight is that you might alter your form to compensate. This is real life, not Dragonball Z. But hey if you can keep good form with all that extra weight and it isn't doing damage to the joints more power to you.

SnowBlynd said:
krellik said:
That is a really bad idea. It will throw you of on your techique and is simply unecesary wear and tear on your joints. QUOTE]

That is the main concern I see with having 40 + lbs of weight is that you might alter your form to compensate. This is real life, not Dragonball Z. But hey if you can keep good form with all that extra weight and it isn't doing damage to the joints more power to you.

LMAO at the Dragonball comment! SS4!!!!!

Back