Good horror movies that don't resort to jump scares?

Creep was amazing. A unique twist on the horror genre. So different. You leave the film feeling a little dirty and want to watch it again.

The Thing will forever be my favorite horror movie. Shit was dope. Personally I didn't find The Witch or It Follows scary at all, but I really enjoyed the Witch as a suspenseful movie. The Witch's dark atmosphere and sense of dread plus the puritan story were great, just wasn't scary, which was a little let down

The Thing will forever be my favorite horror movie. Shit was dope. Personally I didn't find The Witch or It Follows scary at all, but I really enjoyed the Witch as a suspenseful movie. The Witch's dark atmosphere and sense of dread plus the puritan story were great, just wasn't scary, which was a little let down

I agree about The Witch. I read after the fact that it was mis-promoted on purpose to get more people to see it because despite getting rave reviews at film festivals the studio didn't think it would go over well with the general public. So they made the trailer look like a horror movie instead of the atmospheric suspense move that it actually was.

I don't get the love for The Grudge.

edit: Looking through that Low jump scares link and Cube is a good one. Somewhat low budget but it's a simple concept and a good movie.

Last edited:
Lol the devils rejects is so bad.

It grew on me. Theres just too much entertaining moments,even if the story is flat,and i dont truly care what happens to anyone.

The Exorcist,and Alien are my favorite horror movies ever...Jacobs Ladder is probably something different (psychological thriller?)

Also the first Hellraiser movie....when the cenobites first appear,their pitilessness is the entire draw of why they are so frightening...best scene in the movie...but of course its not on the level of an Exorcist or Alien.

The Thing is really great...but i feel the last half of the movie its not as interesting. The less people still alive makes it less interesting on who is the thing anymore..but fuck it,what a wild ride.

Lol the devils rejects is so bad.
I've always thought rz was a crap ass director. HAAAAAAAAAAAAATED the Halloween reboots.

I do agree with him selecting the exorcist though. I named my daughter after that movie, partly because my dad (who died 5 years before she was born) always teased my mom saying he was gonna leave her for Linda blair, but also because it's a great movie.

The Witch was good. Felt it could have been been better but definitely not a strictly jump scare movie.

More of a thriller but "The Invitation" on Netflix is pretty good and suspenseful.

In the now, these two are perfect examples

The Thing is really great...but i feel the last half of the movie its not as interesting. The less people still alive makes it less interesting on who is the thing anymore..but fuck it,what a wild ride.

So who was the thing?

the-witch.jpg

Jump scares are great if combined with a good plot and intense scary atmosphere.

I like: Le Orphanage
The Strangers
Poltergeist 2
The Prince of Darkness
Mothman Prophecies
Communion
The shining
The exorcist

The Orphanage is really good. Not really a horror film but has a few scares and a really good story (if you ignore a few plot holes). Julia's Eyes and The Devil's Backbone are quite similar Spanish thrillers.

If your a man, watch The Hunt. Don't read anything about it, just jump in. Its on netflix.

I've seen damn near every horror and thriller movie, and this one got me. It's not a horror movie technically, but it will fucking scare you. It's also just a damn fantastically made movie. 93% on rt.

Other than that, Martyrs. Do it, pussy.

Last nomination for right now, Shutter. The original one, not the american remake. One of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

Ill go ahead and throw out The Descent even though most people have seen it by now. Awesome.

In my opinion all of those movies are the highest of top tier when it comes to being genuinely disturbed with out any silly jump scares.

Alright last one. Eden Lake. Genuinely scary because its a more realistic and plausible scenario that could happen to anyone.

Most of those I've never heard of I'll check them
out. As far as the Descent goes why haven't they
made third one? They left us with unresolved cliff
hanger WTF.

Must see non jump scare movies

Jacob's Ladder
The Lost Highway
Rosemary's Baby
Silence of the lambs
Se7en
Frailty
American Psycho
Trick R' Treat

*Lord of the flies
*Alive

*Not even sure if listed as horror. But I find them terrifying all through-out

Last edited:
"The Invitation" on Netflix is really good. It's slow a burn and it fucks with your head, totally worth it.

And I'll always champion "Starry Eyes", I fucking loved that movie.

So who was the thing?
There were a couple of people who were "infected" but Blair turned out to be the main thing. There are ongoing theories about if either McCready or Child's were infected at the end or not.

The Thing is a masterpiece. I can watch over and over. Such a great classic.

Must see non jump scare movies

Jacob's Ladder
The Lost Highway
Rosemary's Baby
Silence of the lambs
Se7en
Frailty
American Psycho
Trick R' Treat

*Lord of the flies
*Alive

*Not even sure if listed as horror. But I find them terrifying all through-out
Some good movies there. Jacobs Ladder and Lost Highway are good mind fucks and Seven is such a classic.

Back