Good horror movies that don't resort to jump scares?

the Thing
Carrie
It
The Witch
Alien

All the above still have "jump scare" type moments in them

Blair Witch Project is a true slow-burn scary movie... it seriously gets shit on way too much

Carrie is one of the most underappreciated masterpieces ever made.

Alien is another masterpiece. I just didn't include it in my list because the first thing I remembered was the Dallas jump scare.

the-witch.jpg

Meh, with the fucking devil goat.

Ichi the killer, canibal Holocaust, guineas pig. Don't remember more.

Whats wrong with jump scares? Buncha horror snobs.

Do you guys really just sit there and roll your eyes when things get really intense and there's a jump scare?

Alien is another masterpiece. I just didn't include it in my list because the first thing I remembered was the Dallas jump scare.
yeah but it doesnt rely on that

I dont consider it a horror film, but more of a thriller

Interesting. I think of it as almost a pure horror without much in the way of thrills. It revels in the blood and gore of every stab and slice, of cut off faces. It never really builds a great deal of suspense the way a thriller like Silence of the Lambs does, but rather documents the horrors and atrocities committed by this messed up family.

Interesting. I think of it as almost a pure horror without much in the way of thrills. It revels in the blood and gore of every stab and slice, of cut off faces. It never really builds a great deal of suspense the way a thriller like Silence of the Lambs does, but rather documents the horrors and atrocities committed by this messed up family.
Yeah, i guess. I guess i just think of horror movies as scaring you. I am a pretty big chicken shit and wasnt scared in that movie.

Kill List is weird and scary and weird .... And scary

And weird.

Watch it

Whats wrong with jump scares? Buncha horror snobs.

Do you guys really just sit there and roll your eyes when things get really intense and there's a jump scare?
Jump scares are good, in the right doses. When that's all a horror film has, it gets old quick and loses its intended effect.

Thank you! Jump cuts are overused. Some genius long ago realized that sudden loud noises coupled with something suddenly appearing out of nowhere was all you needed to get people scared. A recent trend i've seen is a guy turning around and a split second later some bad guy suddenly appears behind him like he was Nightcrawler from X-Men.

Jump-scares in old movies were few and far between...they didnt need them back then because, story, plot, pacing, music, and tone is what made the film SCARY

nowadays movies have zero substance to them. "a family is haunted by a demon...and bad stuff happens" *rinse and repeat* with 10-15 jump scares in the movie to make it an imitation of what they think constitutes a "horror movie"

Thank you! Jump cuts are overused. Some genius long ago realized that sudden loud noises coupled with something suddenly appearing out of nowhere was all you needed to get people scared. A recent trend i've seen is a guy turning around and a split second later some bad guy suddenly appears behind him like he was Nightcrawler from X-Men.

Reminds me of that stupid shit in every fight now where there has to be frames missing. such carp.

The Shining
Halloween
JAWS
Psycho

Title...

I'm watching The Conjuring right now, heard a lot of good things about it but it's just a sorry collection of cheap jump scares straight out of the early 2000s...

Triangle was pretty good. If you like mindfuck typed movies.

What's wrong with jump scares? Why are jump scares "cheap"? Is this a hipster thing?

When I watch a scary movie I like to be spooked. Jump scares do that pretty damn well.

I agree that jump scares can be an effective part of any horror movie. But generally speaking, a movie shouldn't rely on them. I'd rather have a slowly building cauldron of tension and dread than 120 mins of shit popping out of the darkness.

Back