Good BJJ gyms in Chicago?

you're in that neighborhood go to pedro vianna's or valkos

You've actually got quite of number of choices and all are good especially if you're relatively new to BJJ.

Shop around. I'd invite you up to Skokie with us, but I'll tell you that it can be quite a hike from where you live depending on traffic. But if you're pass by Gracie Barra in Lincoln Square often (I believe I read that), then we're not "that" far from them.

Jay (Valko) and Pedro (Vianna) are good friends of mine- certainly check him out in his new facility.

Then again, if Pete's is right there... well there you go.

Regardless, feel free to stop by us if for Open Mat anytime.

Good luck on your search!

I train at carlson junior's. Junior and Daniel Wanderley rule. Really can't go wrong with any of the names listed,I've met people from most of these schools and they all seemed nice. Most will let you have a free class so try 'em out.

Totally off topic, but what do you mean you aren't taking new members? You mean if someone came by and said they wanted to take classes and sign a contract, they wouldn't be able to? Is the school that successful that you can turn people away?

Not criticizing, just that I've never heard of that before unless it was some kind of invitation-only camp for elite fighters.

We do not have an open door school. Our instructor use to teach at another school in Chicago but had a falling out with ownership. He now teaches at Flomma with Comprido, but because of the distance only teaches there twice a week. So he matted out an old storefront in a building his family owns and started teaching a few friends and family. So you had to know someone to train there and now it has grown to the point where we no longer have room for everyone. We are looking into moving into a new place within the next year

I train at carlson junior's. Junior and Daniel Wanderley rule. Really can't go wrong with any of the names listed,I've met people from most of these schools and they all seemed nice. Most will let you have a free class so try 'em out.

It's good to see another Carlson guy either in the sea of GB people there are. Daniel is my BJJ coach, but I train with him out of CSMMA. He said I should check out the Chicago school sometime, and alot of my fellow BJJers have been up there.

It's good to see another Carlson guy either in the sea of GB people there are. Daniel is my BJJ coach, but I train with him out of CSMMA. He said I should check out the Chicago school sometime, and alot of my fellow BJJers have been up there.

Actually I believe there are more Carlson guys in Chicago than Graciebarra guys. Valko, Vianna, Rio, Newbreed possibly and many other blackbelts I believe are Carlson guys and not GB guys that opened up there own academy.

Definitely try out POW! Martial Arts
POW! Mixed Martial Arts and Boxing

Dino Costeas is the best no-gi instructor in Chicago.
Also, Mark Miller from TuF season 9 teaches there.

I went there originally for the BJJ but found myself loving Muay Thai even more.
That school is hands down the best in Chicago, it truly is MMA heaven.
BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing, krav maga....it has everything and every teacher is awesome + legit. :icon_chee

I've trained at Rio JJ for just over a year now; I actually lived a few blocks away as well when I first started training. You should give Pete a call and stop by man, you'll love it!

Don't worry about being a smaller guy at a place like Rio JJ, I'm 5'6" and about 140lbs soaking wet. In the last six months, I've seen a lot more guys, around my size, walk through the doors, you won't have any trouble finding a training partner. But, it's always the giants who I always get more excited to spar with, they do a pretty good job of letting me think that I can actually compete with them. It's a nice little incentive to keep training when you're not worried about getting crushed when you spar.

Good luck picking a place, but trust me when I tell you, you won't look any further after you stop by Rio Jiu Jitsu.

Valko is a mix of Barra and Carlson. Blue and black from Eduardo DeLima of Gracie Barra, purple and brown from Carlson Sr and Jr. Valko Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy. offers tons of classes, sometimes three classes a day, gi, no gi, boxing and muay thai. We just opened a second location in Lake Forest. Feel free to come by any time and try out a free class. We have parking and showers.

I am fortunate that I have trained at Rio Jiu Jitsu, Pedro Vianna, and Carlson Gracie Jrs. schools, and to be honest they all have different feels and styles. I would say you need to try a free class at all the locations, look at their schedules, and speak to the instructor about your goals in BJJ.

If you want some insight on the schools just PM I can talk to you about the schools.

I started BJJ under Daniel Wanderley when he was teaching at RFO BJJ in Fox Lake. After he moved to CounterStrike I couldn't afford to travel that far so I started up at Currans place.

I have a friend that is a bluebelt at Rio. Pete is the blackbelt there and he is a really great coach. If you ever go to tournaments you hear Pete through out the place losing his voice coaching his guys non-stop. If you are close go there and check it out.

Where are you located and how much do you want to travel?

I have seen Pete at a few tournaments and he is a very emotional character! It seems like he takes it very personal when his guys lose! The guy also loves to swear when one of his guys gets swept or mounted or loses! lol

Bumping this thread!

Anyone heard anything about Threshold jiu jitsu in Des Plaines IL?? They are close to my house so I wanted to see if anyone knew anything

Bumping this thread!

Anyone heard anything about Threshold jiu jitsu in Des Plaines IL?? They are close to my house so I wanted to see if anyone knew anything

I'm interested in this too. Their website doesn't list any instructors, which I would expect on any BJJ school's site.

from what i have heard, gb chicago, carlsons and compridos seem to be some of the best in chicago right?

Back