Good BJJ gyms in Chicago?

tehk1w1

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to have ample amounts of free time (read: I'm graduating and don't have a job yet) pretty soon and I thought it might be fun to finally try and learn some jiu-jitsu at one of the gyms here in Chicago.

Any Chicagoians on Sherdog that have any recommendations? Also, what are the average rates like?

I'm a small dude and don't have any experience in martial arts, but I figure it'd be a fun way to stay active and in shape rather than play Warcraft and surf Sherdog all day.

Chicago Jiu-Jitsu
Gracie Barra The Loop - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Chicago
Jiu jitsu seminars, brazilian jiu jitsu chicago, mma academy

Those 3 are off the the top of my head. Not to sure what the prices are, I train in the suburbs at Jeff Currans place.

Thanks man!

I've actually passed by the one on 4900 N Lincoln Ave all the time. It never looks like it's open. Lights are never on and it looks like no one is in there. Maybe I just go past there when they're not holding classes.

If you're just beginning, do they have special beginners classes? Or do you just hop right in and kind of learn as you go along?

Thanks man!

I've actually passed by the one on 4900 N Lincoln Ave all the time. It never looks like it's open. Lights are never on and it looks like no one is in there. Maybe I just go past there when they're not holding classes.

If you're just beginning, do they have special beginners classes? Or do you just hop right in and kind of learn as you go along?

GB Chicago (lincoln ave) is a great place to train. stop b, after 5pm for info since most of the advance classes are mornings

Thanks man!

The place is open 6 days a week and has days and evening classes! In the beginners classes you will learn the fundamentals of bjj. You will do some positional sparring. It's a great school with a great group of guys that is very welcoming toward new students.

The best thing you could do is try out a few different bjj schools and see which one suits you.

Hey my friend. Go check out Carlson's school in Chicago. It's an awesome place and some real talented students are there.

Carlson Jr and Daniel Wanderley teach there. There's also a bunch of awesome brown and purple belts.

Feel free to check out Brazil 021 Jiu Jitsu

It's run by Andre Negao and Hannette Staack (7 world titles, x3 ADCC champ)

401 W. Ontario, 4th floor

There are morning/evening classes during the week and open mat and class on weekends as well

There are a lot of schools in the area - my recommendation is to try a class at each one, check out the schedules and locations.

Cool --thanks!

Anyone heard anything good about Rio Jiu Jitsu Academy? It has some glowing reviews and it turns out it's walking distance from my apartment.

Rio Jiu jItsu Academy - Google Maps

I have a friend that is a bluebelt at Rio. Pete is the blackbelt there and he is a really great coach. If you ever go to tournaments you hear Pete through out the place losing his voice coaching his guys non-stop. If you are close go there and check it out.

Where are you located and how much do you want to travel?

On wiki it says he's a BB under Carlson so I'd say he's legit, but IMO I would travel to a GB to train.

I think you're just letting the brand name fool you, then. I'd train under Pete over GB Lincoln Square any day. Only problem is that Pete will have less students, a smaller facility, and fewer class times.

I have a friend that is a bluebelt at Rio. Pete is the blackbelt there and he is a really great coach. If you ever go to tournaments you hear Pete through out the place losing his voice coaching his guys non-stop. If you are close go there and check it out.

Where are you located and how much do you want to travel?

I'm literally two blocks walking away from Pete's.

I'd be willing to travel a bit --bus and train gets me everywhere I need to in Chicago.

Thanks for the info!

+1 for Junior. His grandpa started this whole thing, and his dad was one of the most legendary coaches of all time. He has BJJ in his blood.

I'm literally two blocks walking away from Pete's.

I'd be willing to travel a bit --bus and train gets me everywhere I need to in Chicago.

Thanks for the info!

Than check out Pete's. if there class times fit your schedule go there.

Where I train would be far for you ( southside) and I don't think we are taking new members right now otherwise I would tell you to come by us.

New breed in Skokie is also a great place

I think you're just letting the brand name fool you, then. I'd train under Pete over GB Lincoln Square any day. Only problem is that Pete will have less students, a smaller facility, and fewer class times.

Have you trained at both Lincoln square and with pete at Rio?

Than check out Pete's. if there class times fit your schedule go there.

Where I train would be far for you ( southside) and I don't think we are taking new members right now otherwise I would tell you to come by us.

New breed in Skokie is also a great place

Totally off topic, but what do you mean you aren't taking new members? You mean if someone came by and said they wanted to take classes and sign a contract, they wouldn't be able to? Is the school that successful that you can turn people away?

Not criticizing, just that I've never heard of that before unless it was some kind of invitation-only camp for elite fighters.

Have you trained at both Lincoln square and with pete at Rio?

I've trained at Lincoln Square. Nice facility, good people, good instructors. I haven't trained at Pete's but I've known people that have. After comparing notes, I'd choose Pete's especially if I lived in Bucktown. No disrespect to GB intended.

Maybe so, but I've heard nothing but good things about GB and I don't know much about Pete. So that's just me.

Back