Good amount of Cardio?

s2x

White Belt
Reaction score
I really need to lose my fat in my gut. :(

What is a good amount of cardio to do per day?

For the last month and a half since I bought a gym pass, I've been doing around 40 min on a treadmill, then 40min of weights and what-not, and that doesn't seem to be doing much at all.

I've seen a fairly large increase in muscle, but I just can't get the fat away...

Best cardio for fat loss: eat less. keep your protien intake up, and your caloric intake down. Other than that, have you considered interval training? http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/251run.jsp
is a good article on interval training for the novice. You can do some light distance work on your off days if it pleases you. also, are you lifting every day? stop that. and make a note YOU SHOULD NOT DO INTERVAL TRAINING EVERY DAY.

Urban said:
Best cardio for fat loss: eat less. keep your protien intake up, and your caloric intake down. Other than that, have you considered interval training? http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/251run.jsp
is a good article on interval training for the novice. You can do some light distance work on your off days if it pleases you. also, are you lifting every day? stop that. and make a note YOU SHOULD NOT DO INTERVAL TRAINING EVERY DAY.

By light distance do you mean like 2 or 3 mile jogs on days off?

Urban pretty much summed it up in the whole protein up and caloric intake down part. Good luck.

Key to weight loss, burn more calories than you take in. Easier said than done, I know, but if you're determined to lose the weight, there's the free top secret advice.

Or you could go out and buy a $999 BowFlex or something.

MrMuayThai said:
Key to weight loss, burn more calories than you take in. Easier said than done, I know, but if you're determined to lose the weight, there's the free top secret advice.

Or you could go out and buy a $999 BowFlex or something.
thats the literal definition of weight loss

It is not as difficult as you make it sound. I have cut weight for sports many times and I was not starting out huge so in many way it would make it harder than a larger person doing it. I was not taking an extra abundant of calories to start with. The key is dedication and not moaning about all the twinkies you are giving up .. Come on man if a guy who was fairly thin had to do it for sports than there is no reason whatsoever thay you shouldnt. Good step in the right direction by starting to train at a gym though. Keep up the good work and I would reccomend you listening to the advice that Urban has given you.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one needing to drop some flab. Also, are you doing the walking on the treadmill before you are hitting the weights? I would think that you need to hit the weights first as more muscle tissue gives you a slight boost in metabolism. Just my two cents.

Do your cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. Do not eat until at least 30 minutes after your done with your cardio. This will help accelerate fat loss.

Back