Good alternative to hand wraps?

madmio said:
Well, my main problem was the wraps would become loose very quickly and I have to spend time to re-tighten-re-wrap, it's such a pain in the ass. I did end up buying the "Mexican" hand wraps a few days ago which are quite a bit longer and more "elastic" than the regular wraps, but what bugs me with these is they tend to get tighter and tighter as I train, to the point of my hands hurting a bit and being very uncomfortable. I swear, I am going to throw them all away and start training without any wraps. :mad:

How about you learn how to wrap your hands properly? That'll solve all your problems...

Source1 said:
They are not without flaws like they suck for grappling work but if you need wrist protection they will supply that.

I assume if you're grappling with wraps on that you're training MMA... this is something people just need to get over. Train how you fight, and when you fight... you'll be wearing wraps.

gel wraps are dumb. I dont see how anything but handwraps or tape can stabilize your wrist and protect the small bones in the hand

amphibious said:
I assume if you're grappling with wraps on that you're training MMA... this is something people just need to get over. Train how you fight, and when you fight... you'll be wearing wraps.

Gee thanks for that advice Captain Obvious :rolleyes:

Source1 said:
Gee thanks for that advice Captain Obvious :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised how many people don't train how they fight and then they make bitch excuses like "it was harder to breath with my mouthpiece in!" or "I couldn't get any traction for takedowns without my wrestling shoes!"

Gotcha man I see where you were coming from definitely as I see it all the time in practice. Thanks for clearing up your post. The mouthpiece issue has always been my biggest bitch in practice when people don't want to use them.

Foppa21 said:
I did it 2 nights ago on my first night back. I got to training late and didn't get a chance to wrap. I was hitting the pags with my mma gloves. Let's just say I won't be doing that again. I fact, I gotta bolt in like 20 mins to go to mma again
There has been times working liek a speed bag where I thinl it does not matter but yeah to do normal bad or sparring work without wrapping is crazy but yeah in those tiny 4/5 ounce gloves.....ouch man I'll bet you were sore

I have a pair of the gel gloves, but they don't provide any wrist support. I actually use 'em as bag gloves or trainin' grapplin' with gloves on...

Just some over hyabusa hand wraps. IMO making sure your wrist is secure and in a stable position (a good hand wrapping will do this) is the most important part of wrapping your hands. If you want, I sometimes do, I wrap some tape around my wrist (like one loop) and over my knuckles before I wrap them - not sure if it actually helps but seems to (could be kinda of a placebo effect).

Back