Good alternative to hand wraps?

madmio

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone else here besides me hates hand wraps? If so, what do you guys do instead? if anything :eek:

P.S What about those gloves that act as hand wraps? are they any good?

I think CSI sells a gel handwrap thats sorta like a glove. But maybe your using the wrong hand wraps ? Try cotton.

the only ones i have had any experience with were the everlast gel wraps and they lasted about 2 classes before the straps started to pop. they were a really cool looking waste of 25 bux. i've heard a lot of people rave about "mexican" handwraps. apparently they tighten as you progress through a training session or something. I've yet to pick any of them up. I swithed back to just the traditional everlast handwraps

The best alternative to handwraps would be what they did in the old days....gauze and tape...which um...adds up $$$ a lot quicker than just buying some handwraps...

vu said:
The best alternative to handwraps would be what they did in the old days....gauze and tape...which um...adds up $$$ a lot quicker than just buying some handwraps...
Yeah seriously, I had a busted wrist for a long while so I bought bulk guaze and tape from Ringside for like a total of $40.00 and it lasted 3weeks. Mexican Handwraps are the way to go!

I like the Mexican hand wraps, dont get the gloves though.

madmio said:
Anyone else here besides me hates hand wraps? If so, what do you guys do instead? if anything :eek:

P.S What about those gloves that act as hand wraps? are they any good?

What is it you hate about handwraps? I guess you have a problem wrapping. Buy mexican handwraps and ask somene to teach you how to wrap correctly. It shouldn't take more than a minute to wrap a hand and IMO there's no alternative to real handwraps.

The purpose of wraps is to made your fist more solid... it's not about padding (what gel wraps provide), it's about support. If you have any punching power at all you're going to start getting deep tissue bruises, bone spurs, and even broken bones.

There's nothing that's an alternative to the normal cotton wraps other than... well... wraps made out of different materials.

Embrace the handwraps, madmio. It's like stretching or warming up... all part of the game. It's a good time to sit down, clear your mind and focus on the session ahead. And it connects you with every other person in the world who trains striking. We're all doing it.

Well, my main problem was the wraps would become loose very quickly and I have to spend time to re-tighten-re-wrap, it's such a pain in the ass. I did end up buying the "Mexican" hand wraps a few days ago which are quite a bit longer and more "elastic" than the regular wraps, but what bugs me with these is they tend to get tighter and tighter as I train, to the point of my hands hurting a bit and being very uncomfortable. I swear, I am going to throw them all away and start training without any wraps. :mad:

Well, my main problem was the wraps would become loose very quickly...

Those gel things just flat out don't work IMHO. Stick with the wraps.

There are dozens (+) of variations on how to wrap your hands, I would suggest trying a different wrapping pattern that works for you. For example, for the longest time I never wrapped my thumb, but I started to because it kept the wraps from loosening up. Search google/the-forums for links on hand wrapping sites.

madmio said:
Well, my main problem was the wraps would become loose very quickly and I have to spend time to re-tighten-re-wrap, it's such a pain in the ass. I did end up buying the "Mexican" hand wraps a few days ago which are quite a bit longer and more "elastic" than the regular wraps, but what bugs me with these is they tend to get tighter and tighter as I train, to the point of my hands hurting a bit and being very uncomfortable. I swear, I am going to throw them all away and start training without any wraps. :mad:

Just wrap your hands a little looser with the Mexican wraps so they dont tighten up so much. You most def do not want to train with no hand wraps. What good does it do when you hurt yourhand in training when you have a fight coming up?

You're a tard if you don't train with wraps.Honestly,just learn how to properly wrap your hands.

ya man just learn to get used to wearing handwraps. Nothing comes close to them and they prevent lots of injuries.

I did it 2 nights ago on my first night back. I got to training late and didn't get a chance to wrap. I was hitting the pags with my mma gloves. Let's just say I won't be doing that again. I fact, I gotta bolt in like 20 mins to go to mma again

I love wrapping my hands. I like to day dream about being a pro boxer getting ready for a big fight.

I have never liked wraps but sure understand their need, more for fillet protection on my knuckles than wrist in my case. Recently I bought a pair of Grant Speed wraps,which are basically a fingerless glove with a quarter length wrap attached to them made by Century. They are not without flaws like they suck for grappling work but if you need wrist protection they will supply that. Plus they are cheap at about 10 bucks a pair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back