Gone with the Wind: Anyone here actually sat down and watched it?

I saw it when I was a kid.

I remember having trouble understanding how on Earth such a horrible, despicable human being as Scarlett O'Hara was supposed to be the hero.

Well some would argue she merely did what she had to do to survive.

True story or sarcasm?

True story.

It was 39 so ya gotta look at it through 1939 glasses but yes. I believe the mix of acting, character development, technology, story, and social statements make it as fine as example as any of what film can and should be.

I've seen it probably 8-10 times from ages 13-38 and I still love it and am blown away every time.

Watched in history class a couple of times. Haven't watched it in years but I remember hating Scarlett. Seems to be the general consensus and point of the character. Fun fact that the studio got thousands of protest letters when Vivian Leigh was cast, it was the Ben Affleck as Batman of it's day.

Of course! It truly is an epic and amazing movie. Clark Gable was awesome as Rhett Butler, he puts any leading man from today to shame. It is not PC to like it these days but it is simply one of the best films of all time.

I think these days Hollywood filmmakers are simply not allowed to show the old South as anything but a terrible, despicable place. That's such bullshit.

Dude! Casablanca, GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia those are beyond epic films. You should see them tonight and tomorrow. Get it done.

Maybe I'll put together a list of classics--say, maybe 20--that I'll commit to watching over the next few months. Any you care to suggest beyond those already mentioned?

Yes. My wife loves it so I watched it once all the way through. That was enough.

It may sound ignorant, but the story just doesn't do it for me. And while the themes are timeless, the film hasn't exactly aged well.

Not to say its bad by any means, its just not a film I particularly enjoy.

I watched it for the first time a few years ago, in a film history class. I thought it was good but I'm at least in agreement that it may be overrated. Considering the way that it has consistently topped film lists and been called "the greatest movie of all time," I was just expecting a bit more. But overall I did still enjoy it.

One thing I would really have to disagree with you on though is that it hasn't aged well. Considering how fucking old it is, I was surprised by how modern it felt. I think Welles was really ahead of his time from a technique perspective.

True story.

It was 39 so ya gotta look at it through 1939 glasses but yes. I believe the mix of acting, character development, technology, story, and social statements make it as fine as example as any of what film can and should be.

I've seen it probably 8-10 times from ages 13-38 and I still love it and am blown away every time.

Well that is a pretty glowing recommendation. I suppose I just HAVE to check it out now.

I saw it when I was a kid.

I remember having trouble understanding how on Earth such a horrible, despicable human being as Scarlett O'Hara was supposed to be the hero.

^This right here. Same for me

which is why I compared it to Twilight. Narcissist carnival

I watched it recently. Scarlet is such a rbf bitch!

Jokes aside, I was amused at how the times have changed with regards to marriage, and conversation and everything inbetween. Great movie non the less.

She is a complicated character who is dealt with accordingly.

While the story is placed in the mid to late 1800s, even in the 30s it was odd to see a woman as open about her sexuality and as economically ambitious as Scarlet.

She was a bitch but ya gotta admire the fact that she was willing to do ANYTHING to see her way of life carry on. And I don't mean the "confederate" way. I mean HER way. She wanted herself, her home, and her family taken care of. Whether she needed to work, fuck, kill, or steal to do it. Thats what she did.

Of course it ended up not really working out for her because you couldnt very well let a woman get away with that shit back then.

But even still. She aint worried about that shit. She'll worry bout that tomorrow.

Well that is a pretty glowing recommendation. I suppose I just HAVE to check it out now.

Well, its an unpopular opinion with this demographic but I think its worth a watch.

I actually wish they would get rid of all this stupid CGI and go back to paintings!

Some GWTW pics
GoneWithTheWind-580x250.jpg

gone-with-the-wind-2.jpg

gwtw8.jpg

1939-gone-with-the-wind.jpg

gone-with-the-wind-4.jpg

451180_film-stairs-gone-with-the-wind-cinematography-vivien-leigh.gif

I've seen it a few times. Its held up pretty well imo, despite the obvious sugar-coating of Civil War era Dixie. The story, the acting, the production values...all very good. Actually, Scarlett might actually be the first anti-hero protagonist, now that I think about it. Overall great film, though. Would recommend watching if you're into classics/can get past the generational gap in filmmaking. Otherwise, may not be for you.

Well, its an unpopular opinion with this demographic but I think its worth a watch.

The older I get, the more open I am to older things -- movies, music, literature, etc. And having grown up in the South, I enjoy movies that are set there.

I actually wish they would get rid of all this stupid CGI and go back to paintings!

I think CGI has its place but it's definitely overdone these days. And I do sometimes miss the matte painting work of yesteryear. There was a certain aesthetic there that you just don't get with movies these days.

I feel the same way about models and miniatures.

Some GWTW pics
GoneWithTheWind-580x250.jpg

gone-with-the-wind-2.jpg

gwtw8.jpg

1939-gone-with-the-wind.jpg

gone-with-the-wind-4.jpg

451180_film-stairs-gone-with-the-wind-cinematography-vivien-leigh.gif

Those are beautiful. Looks like the sort of movie that could really take advantage of a meticulous HD transfer.

Didn't that movie use to have a war in it?

I haven't. My grandmother loved it back in the day and prized her VHS special edition, but I never watched it with her, and I still haven't sat down to watch it as an adult.

Serious question.

Does anyone have a grandmother whom DOES NOT think this is one of the greatest movies of all time?:icon_lol:

Serious question.

Does anyone have a grandmother whom DOES NOT think this is one of the greatest movies of all time?:icon_lol:

Ha ha. I don't know.

Gone with the Wind and The Sound of Music. Those were the two that I remember my grandmother being all about back in the day.

Saw it 3-4 years ago, I enjoyed it. It was one of those movies you need to put everything away and spent a quarter of your day watching it, sorta like "Once Upon a Time in America".

LOL!

Yours too, huh?

Well to be fair those are pretty much the archtypical movies that old ladies like. So it's not that big a suprise. I bet when our generation grows old and gray they'll blabber on about Titanic or Dirty Dancing or some movie like that. :icon_chee

But just to be sure.... your name isn't Tim is it?

I'm more likely to watch an old film with a remastered 16:9 ratio than before with the old 4:3.

Back