Gone with the Wind: Anyone here actually sat down and watched it?

G

Guestx

We've all heard it's a classic. Some of you may even know that, adjusted for inflation, it's the highest grossing movie of all time. But who here has actually seen it?

I haven't. My grandmother loved it back in the day and prized her VHS special edition, but I never watched it with her, and I still haven't sat down to watch it as an adult.

For those here who have seen it, is it a legitimately interesting and entertaining movie or is it simply interesting from a cultural and film history standpoint? I've been thinking lately about taking the four hour plunge. It just seems like one of those movies that I'm running out of excuses for having not seen. But I'm just not sure if I really WANT to.

I saw it years ago. I am a serious film fan but not hardcore- u seem to be on a similar level. I would reccomend u see it. Clark Gable is an avsolutely amazing talent. His magnetism alone makes the movie worth watching.

I watch it often while sipping mint juleps in July. A small confederate tear rolls down my cheek each time.

I'm really immersed with the Golden Age of Hollywood films as of late, and WIND is probably the last major film I've yet to see. Just waiting for it to come on Netflix.

Yeah I'm hesitant as well.

On the one hand, it's a classic movie with some cinematic legitimacy.

On the other hand, it's all they had instead of Twilight

Citizen Kane is much harder to sit through imo.

Of course! It truly is an epic and amazing movie. Clark Gable was awesome as Rhett Butler, he puts any leading man from today to shame. It is not PC to like it these days but it is simply one of the best films of all time.

I saw it years ago. I am a serious film fan but not hardcore- u seem to be on a similar level. I would reccomend u see it. Clark Gable is an avsolutely amazing talent. His magnetism alone makes the movie worth watching.

I'm a film student at the university here, but the classics have always been something of a blind spot for me. I've seen a handful, like The Sound of Music, His Girl Friday, Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, and a few others. But there are several others that I still haven't sat down for. Casablanca, Sunset Boulevard, Lawrence of Arabia, just about anything made by Hitchcock, and Gone with the Wind fall into this latter group.

I need to watch more classics and more foreign films.

It is in my opinion the greatest film ever made.

I saw it when I was a kid.

I remember having trouble understanding how on Earth such a horrible, despicable human being as Scarlett O'Hara was supposed to be the hero.

Dude! Casablanca, GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia those are beyond epic films. You should see them tonight and tomorrow. Get it done.

I'd rather crawl naked through a barrel of broken glass and stick matches in Dana Whites shit.

Is that right? Why would you say that is?

It may sound ignorant, but the story just doesn't do it for me. And while the themes are timeless, the film hasn't exactly aged well.

Not to say its bad by any means, its just not a film I particularly enjoy.

I'm a film student at the university here, but the classics have always been something of a blind spot for me. I've seen a handful, like The Sound of Music, His Girl Friday, Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, and a few others. But there are several others that I still haven't sat down for. Casablanca, Sunset Boulevard, Lawrence of Arabia, just about anything made by Hitchcock, and Gone with the Wind fall into this latter group.

I need to watch more classics and more foreign films.
With the way CASABLANCA is talked about, one would've thought it was the greatest film of all time. It's a very average film consistent with other films of the time, with just some quirky lines from Bogart which have somehow become immortalized. Bogart's THE AFRICAN QUEEN (along with the GOAT actress Katharine Hepburn) was a far superior film.

I hated LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, and I think it might top my list of the most overrated films of all time. Just a total bore from start to finish, with political overtones all over the place, which I guess might've been revolutionary at the time, but a very poor watch in retrospect.

Hitchcock is always consistent with good quality films that were unlike the norm at the time. His films with James Stewart (ROPE, REAR WINDOW, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, VERTIGO) are Hitchcock's finest work, IMO.

I saw it when I was a kid.

I remember having trouble understanding how on Earth such a horrible, despicable human being as Scarlett O'Hara was supposed to be the hero.

^This right here. Same for me

which is why I compared it to Twilight. Narcissist carnival

Is that right? Why would you say that is?

Because of the way the plot is structured. It's a reporter interviewing people about Kane's life, so the entire movie consists of vignettes of the guy's life jumping along instead of a single storyline.

I watched it recently. Scarlet is such a rbf bitch!

Jokes aside, I was amused at how the times have changed with regards to marriage, and conversation and everything inbetween. Great movie non the less.

Back