Gone with the Wind: Anyone here actually sat down and watched it?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Guestx

Guestx Guest

We've all heard it's a classic. Some of you may even know that, adjusted for inflation, it's the highest grossing movie of all time. But who here has actually seen it?

I haven't. My grandmother loved it back in the day and prized her VHS special edition, but I never watched it with her, and I still haven't sat down to watch it as an adult.

For those here who have seen it, is it a legitimately interesting and entertaining movie or is it simply interesting from a cultural and film history standpoint? I've been thinking lately about taking the four hour plunge. It just seems like one of those movies that I'm running out of excuses for having not seen. But I'm just not sure if I really WANT to.

2. Langstarr

Langstarr Green Belt

I saw it years ago. I am a serious film fan but not hardcore- u seem to be on a similar level. I would reccomend u see it. Clark Gable is an avsolutely amazing talent. His magnetism alone makes the movie worth watching.

3. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I haven't seen it in years. I never cared for it.

4. LiveFreeorDie

LiveFreeorDie Gun Belt

I watch it often while sipping mint juleps in July. A small confederate tear rolls down my cheek each time.

5. RTL

RTL NostraMMAus™ Platinum Member

I'm really immersed with the Golden Age of Hollywood films as of late, and WIND is probably the last major film I've yet to see. Just waiting for it to come on Netflix.

6. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Yeah I'm hesitant as well.

On the one hand, it's a classic movie with some cinematic legitimacy.

On the other hand, it's all they had instead of Twilight

7. Viva

Viva

Citizen Kane is much harder to sit through imo.

8. liljoe

liljoe Brown Belt

Of course! It truly is an epic and amazing movie. Clark Gable was awesome as Rhett Butler, he puts any leading man from today to shame. It is not PC to like it these days but it is simply one of the best films of all time.

9. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I'm a film student at the university here, but the classics have always been something of a blind spot for me. I've seen a handful, like The Sound of Music, His Girl Friday, Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, and a few others. But there are several others that I still haven't sat down for. Casablanca, Sunset Boulevard, Lawrence of Arabia, just about anything made by Hitchcock, and Gone with the Wind fall into this latter group.

I need to watch more classics and more foreign films.

10. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

It is in my opinion the greatest film ever made.

11. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

I saw it when I was a kid.

I remember having trouble understanding how on Earth such a horrible, despicable human being as Scarlett O'Hara was supposed to be the hero.

12. liljoe

liljoe Brown Belt

Dude! Casablanca, GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia those are beyond epic films. You should see them tonight and tomorrow. Get it done.

13. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Is that right? Why would you say that is?

14. Guestx

Guestx Guest

True story or sarcasm?

15. ClubFoot

ClubFoot Therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic Platinum Member

I'd rather crawl naked through a barrel of broken glass and stick matches in Dana Whites shit.

16. Viva

Viva

It may sound ignorant, but the story just doesn't do it for me. And while the themes are timeless, the film hasn't exactly aged well.

Not to say its bad by any means, its just not a film I particularly enjoy.

17. RTL

RTL NostraMMAus™ Platinum Member

With the way CASABLANCA is talked about, one would've thought it was the greatest film of all time. It's a very average film consistent with other films of the time, with just some quirky lines from Bogart which have somehow become immortalized. Bogart's THE AFRICAN QUEEN (along with the GOAT actress Katharine Hepburn) was a far superior film.

I hated LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, and I think it might top my list of the most overrated films of all time. Just a total bore from start to finish, with political overtones all over the place, which I guess might've been revolutionary at the time, but a very poor watch in retrospect.

Hitchcock is always consistent with good quality films that were unlike the norm at the time. His films with James Stewart (ROPE, REAR WINDOW, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, VERTIGO) are Hitchcock's finest work, IMO.

18. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

^This right here. Same for me

which is why I compared it to Twilight. Narcissist carnival

19. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

Because of the way the plot is structured. It's a reporter interviewing people about Kane's life, so the entire movie consists of vignettes of the guy's life jumping along instead of a single storyline.

20. BVG

BVG Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I watched it recently. Scarlet is such a rbf bitch!

Jokes aside, I was amused at how the times have changed with regards to marriage, and conversation and everything inbetween. Great movie non the less.