Gomi vs Guillard

I was really routing for Guillard in this one!!

Melvin really never lived up to what massive, i feel, potential he could have reached.

He even had Gormless rocked at least twice!

I was at the event live.

If I remember correctly, there was a typhoon that night, and they had to change the order of the card so that people could still go home.

Melvin had such a ridiculously poor exit from the sport, it's sad man.

I wonder how he's doing, 50+ fights he better have some money saved, he's only 38!!!

I honestly didn’t know it happened. I’ve only watched jmma sparingly over the last 7/8 years. Sadly mma it’s pretty dead in Japan

Gomi had such a spectacular fall from grace. From Sengoku to UFC, he went from being one of the most popular fighters of all time and of his era to a forgotten legend. At one point in time, he was in All-time discussions with BJ Penn (this wasn’t all that long ago, either). Another fighter who couldn’t put down the bottle and dedicate their natural talents to their craft.

Melvin was Melvin. Fun fighter for about five years. Do or die mentality.

Gomi will always be one of my favorite fighters. I was happy he got the win here, especially after he clearly hurts his leg. His robbery against Diego cost him a decent run in the UFC But his true contributions to this sport will always be his amazing run through PRIDE’s LW division while mostly drinking beers and occasionally hitting the training.

Damn that was a pretty entertaining scrap. One part was pretty funny where Gomi kept hitting Guillard in the upper right shoulder/chest area.

Lucky for Gomi it didn't go another 1 or 2 minutes, or he would have been gassed!

An example of one fighter who maximized his potential (Gomi) and another who didn't (Guillard)..

Melvin had such a ridiculously poor exit from the sport, it's sad man.

I wonder how he's doing, 50+ fights he better have some money saved, he's only 38!!!

He got arrested for KOing someone in a club after this fight

Lol oh man what an obvious dive. Nice one Melvin. Like that was bad, not even convincing at all.

Back