• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social GoldenWolf's COVID Vaccine/Lockdown Protest megathread

Is this reasonable? or a slippery slope?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in SA, so apparently we are lower priority and have to jump through a lot of bureaucratic hoops even to get Astra Zeneca if you are under 60 (not even sure my doc would sign off on it). Our state is moving to "app based quarantine" this week for people coming back from NSW and Victoria, so I'm expecting a breakout here within the next couple of weeks.

Well that sucks. I'm in QLD, am expecting an outbreak soon and am concerned that the level of fear mongering is going to be off the charts. Politicians have hung their hats on 'keeping people safe' but the reality is with Delta that it won't be stopped. We just need to be vaccinated and then learn to live with it and that means we need to start de-escalating the fear and getting people comfortable with what will come.

Heres a simple sentence that will sum it up for you .. the cure for covid is far worse than the disease itself..

The problem for you guys is that actual data says the opposite. The vaccine is highly protective against serious illness and hospitalization and is very safe to use.

Ah the Overwhelming baised research you mean. With the media's favorite numb 98% of unvaccinated are in the hospital.

You always have that one in you back pocket eh? No matter what sort of evidence is presented, you just get to conveniently write it off as "will of the conspirator". You guys are very much like religious followers in that way.

The problem for you guy is that actual data says the opposite. The vaccine is highly protective against serious illness and hospitalization and is very safe to use.

Thanks for that Dr TUFNewb... but guess what ... Im not interested in your drug.. now what?

Thanks for that Dr TUFNewb... but guess what ... Im not interested in your drug.. now what?

We will see I guess. Where I live a poll just came out with pretty high public approval of vaccine passports for non essential services. I'm guessing that's where we are headed, either through actual public policy or maybe just the free market making the call. Let's see what percentage of the population businesses want to pander to I say.

Well that sucks. I'm in QLD, am expecting an outbreak soon and am concerned that the level of fear mongering is going to be off the charts. Politicians have hung their hats on 'keeping people safe' but the reality is with Delta that it won't be stopped. We just need to be vaccinated and then learn to live with it and that means we need to start de-escalating the fear and getting people comfortable with what will come.

Any plan which fails to account for the minority of irresponsible dickheads is bound to fail. Just like the birthday party morons in Sydney.
Only reason we've had almost no cases here in SA was because we shut the borders almost immediately and booted out the infected Americans that were gallivanting around the Barossa.
We've also taken less international returns than the other states. Even so, the "hotel quarantine in the CBD" idea resulted in a short (couple of days) lockdown due to one quarantine security guard lying about moonlighting at a pizza shop.
Aside from that it's been business as usual within the state for the most part, with the problems businesses are facing mostly relating to the international and interstate aspects.

We will see I guess. Where I live a poll just came out with pretty high public approval of vaccine passports for non essential services. I'm guessing that's where we are headed, either through actual public policy or maybe just the free market making the call. Let's see what percentage of the population businesses want to pander to I say.

How about this.. .im not really interested in your public services or shops that have restrictions and mandates? I can get along just fine without them.. now what ?

If we were truly talking about the free market I don't think most of the vaccine hesitant would have a problem with that. There would be alternatives companies and businesses popping up everyday. It would probably be a boost for the economy as competition would increase.

But alas, we all know that's not what's going to happen. Banks, credit card companies, tech companies, and every other essential service are going to work with the govt to eliminate any real opportunity for the people to get around their mandates. It's called fascism.

Its how normal people are dressing this up .. its public health policy .. thats how they internalize it and make it ok with they own core belief structure.. if they though it was fascism, that would make them look bad..
Only problem is lots of people know what this is .. and your right its fascism, communism and Nazism .. etc etc..

Any plan which fails to account for the minority of irresponsible dickheads is bound to fail.

And this is why the messaging needs to get people accustomed to case numbers being above zero: vaccinating our populations and monitoring how many ICU beds are available means we can have a bunch of dickheads and it still works. With 500 cases per state per day a party or two won't throw the whole thing under the bus, unlike the current plan of total eradication which is utterly unfeasible.

And this is why the messaging needs to get people accustomed to case numbers being above zero: vaccinating our populations and monitoring how many ICU beds are available means we can have a bunch of dickheads and it still works. With 500 cases per state per day a party or two won't throw the whole thing under the bus, unlike the current plan of total eradication which is utterly unfeasible.

Well the whole idea was that we would have majority vaccination by now, so we wouldn't have outbreaks like Sydney and Melbourne, let alone needing ongoing lockdowns. Until then it was supposed to just rely on the border restrictions, which implemented early and well would have been up to the task. Having it state based rather than national was an issue of course, as we've seen with Victoria repeatedly dropping the ball, and NSW dropping the ball early with the Ruby Princess. Mostly it's been the hotel quarantines not being up to handling the numbers or even really being fit for task of quarantining infections. Still wouldn't have been an issue if they hadn't completely cocked up the vaccine roll out (initially we were supposed to have everyone that wanted it fully vaccinated by October).
Morrison's little "learn to live with covid" speech wouldn't be such an affront if I'd actually been able to get vaccinated today.

Well the whole idea was that we would have majority vaccination by now, so we wouldn't have outbreaks like Sydney and Melbourne, let alone needing ongoing lockdowns. Until then it was supposed to just rely on the border restrictions, which implemented early and well would have been up to the task. Having it state based rather than national was an issue of course, as we've seen with Victoria repeatedly dropping the ball, and NSW dropping the ball early with the Ruby Princess. Mostly it's been the hotel quarantines not being up to handling the numbers or even really being fit for task of quarantining infections. Still wouldn't have been an issue if they hadn't completely cocked up the vaccine roll out.
Morrison's little "learn to live with covid" speech wouldn't be such an affront if I'd actually been able to get vaccinated today.

Understood, which is why I support the lockdowns until we can get the population vaccinated. It shouldn't be on the cards until everyone has had a fair chance to get their jab and, if after that point they've elected not to, they've made their choice.

How about this.. .im not really interested in your public services or shops that have restrictions and mandates? I can get along just fine without them.. now what ?
Interesting post from someone who is self confessed as being on social welfare.

I've been in lockdown for more than two months. My suburb has had zero cases the entire time. The population has been whipped into a panic.

What have you and your friends done or think about this?

Just accepted it?… or are pissed off? Maybe even thinking it’s a great idea?

Id really love to know what Aussies are thinking about these Govt restrictions

800 new cases in a single day in one city is pretty bad.. but I guess people should wait for at least half a million to die before they take it seriously?

Just need to get quicker with the vax roll out. We have about 30,000 cases a day, but only about 50 deaths, so it doesn't matter so much.

I've been locked down 9 weeks with 4 or more to come.

I'm fairly ok with it. Lockdowns worked really well for us pre delta which led to a vaccine complacency so we are well behind most developed nations.

The government support has been bungled by the (conservative) liberal party best summarised by them making a 60 billion dollar mis calculation early on (per capita that would be a roughky 800B mistake for America) and a support program that worked on predicted business losses with no claw back provisions for profit increases.

Also I am fully vaccinated (Pfizer) while an mate with MS is still waiting.

Conversely I don't know anyone who died from Covid.

All in all, I can't think of a country I would prefer to live in during the pandemic.

Just need to get quicker with the vax roll out. We have about 30,000 cases a day, but only about 50 deaths, so it doesn't matter so much.

It really doesn't. Covid is currently the 9th cause of death in England, and in Wales it was 32nd a couple of weeks ago (now I think its like 15th or something). 1,500 people die every single day in the UK from all causes, death is ever present and always will be and I think 100-200 covid deaths a day is what the government is probably going to be happy with going into autumn/winter.

For reference, in the same time-frame every year we have around that for flu deaths too. Some years, much, much higher. So it's always been an acceptable number.

The only ongoing Government restrictions in my state have been border closures and telling everyone to fuck off (not counting minor stuff like events being limited to 50 people etc). Which I'm fine with in general.
I'm also absolutely in favour of shooting stray dogs. We get paid $120 per dog (by the taxpayer. In drought effected areas, which is most of the state). They aren't as big an issue as cats in terms of environmental impact, but they are still a problem (and a threat to livestock).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back