Going to Sweden in April

I live in Gothenburg.

April you say..

April is good for experiencing sports events. SHL(Hockey) has the semis and final during April. Decent chance the local team will make it that far. The Allsvenskan(Football) has also just started which can be fun.

The City has a pretty decent music scene(rock, metal, any international touring bands).

Hopefully the weather is decent which means the bars will open their terraces or outdoor parts. This means day drinking.

Everyone speaks more or less perfect English, might just take a second before their English kicks in. Americans are liked. People are used to Americans though so don't expect any special treatment for that as such. But yeah, maybe it could help you be seen as a little exotic among younger women if you go out.

Gothenburg is after all an industrial city so there are not as many sights as in Stockholm for example. I would recommend you to take a ferry to the Archipelago one day.

If you have any question just ask ahead!

Not true. You will be able to go to any bar or club in the middle of the week. Some clubs might not be open on Monday, Tuesday etc. because few go out then.

Yeah, a concert sounds like a good idea. And I would most definitely be down for some day-drinking, should the situation warrant it.

I may try to squeeze in a visit to Copenhagen or Stockholm while I am there. Depends on a few variables.

You managed to land yourself smack in the middle of the triangle of 3 Scandinavian capitals without hitting any of them...?!

Swedes are nice and polite when sober, and godawful when they're drunk. That's all you need to know.

@lsa are you from up that way/thoughts on Göteborg?

Last edited:
Yeah, a concert sounds like a good idea. And I would most definitely be down for some day-drinking, should the situation warrant it.

I may try to squeeze in a visit to Copenhagen or Stockholm while I am there. Depends on a few variables.

I'd take copenhagen over stockholm (where i am) and göteborg does have a lively night life..

Museums have very high standards and universeum is a pretty well kept public aquarium..

If you go to stockholm on a weekend i could probably show you around for a night..

The girls in the pictures are actually nothing special.. sure, cute but not unplayable..

i was in gothenburg way back in 03'. it's a beautiful area. i preferred it over stockholm, mainly because it's not as crowded, and the people were generally friendlier. copenhagen was a cool city. i also preferred it over stockholm. haven't been to oslo.

i was in gothenburg way back in 03'. it's a beautiful area. i preferred it over stockholm, mainly because it's not as crowded, and the people were generally friendlier. copenhagen was a cool city. i also preferred it over stockholm. haven't been to oslo.

Yeah.. stockholm is the judgemental asshole of the north..

Hilarious story from stockholm

A trolley driver threatened to stab my friend which we thought was hilarious

He went all like "fucking junkies get the fuck out of here etc"

Also he probably saw me puking in front of a store so that didnt help

And my friend had a black eye from fighting polish construction workers night before lmao

I live in Gothenburg.

April you say..

April is good for experiencing sports events. SHL(Hockey) has the semis and final during April. Decent chance the local team will make it that far. The Allsvenskan(Football) has also just started which can be fun.

The City has a pretty decent music scene(rock, metal, any international touring bands).

Hopefully the weather is decent which means the bars will open their terraces or outdoor parts. This means day drinking.

Everyone speaks more or less perfect English, might just take a second before their English kicks in. Americans are liked. People are used to Americans though so don't expect any special treatment for that as such. But yeah, maybe it could help you be seen as a little exotic among younger women if you go out.

Gothenburg is after all an industrial city so there are not as many sights as in Stockholm for example. I would recommend you to take a ferry to the Archipelago one day.

If you have any question just ask ahead!

Not true. You will be able to go to any bar or club in the middle of the week. Some clubs might not be open on Monday, Tuesday etc. because few go out then.

I'd take copenhagen over stockholm (where i am) and göteborg does have a lively night life..

Museums have very high standards and universeum is a pretty well kept public aquarium..

If you go to stockholm on a weekend i could probably show you around for a night..

The girls in the pictures are actually nothing special.. sure, cute but not unplayable..

Also, I have an IPhone. Will I have to buy a local SIM card to make calls, browse the Internet, etc?

And what would the best plan for transportation be? Rail, cabs, Uber or similar app?

Also, I have an IPhone. Will I have to buy a local SIM card to make calls, browse the Internet, etc?

And what would the best plan for transportation be? Rail, cabs, Uber or similar app?

Pretty sure you can use your phone straight away. Not sure however what type of rates American Phone providers will charge in Sweden/Europe though. I would say check with your customer service. If not you could buy a SIM-card(We would call it Kontantkort). Go to a place like 7/11, Pressbyrån(A Swedish type of 7/11), ICA(Super Market) and ask for a Comviq(a brand) Kontantkort with a lot of Surf. You will probably find a Pressbyrån at the Airport. No-one really uses Kontantkort unless you are a tourist or a drug dealer so expect pay between 25-30 dollars for 25 GB surf.

I have never used Uber in Europe and I doubt the experience in Gothenburg would be as smooth as in the States. Do not consider it a serious option. I would recommend you download the app Västtrafik To Go before you travel. Then you can buy a ticket inside the app. I would recommend you to get a 3-days ticket. Make sure you either get for only Gothenburg municipality or the surrounding too if you plan to go outside Gothenburg. Do not buy "Cash tickets" in the App. This means you load your app with a certain amount of money and then you have to check in and out. No-one understand that system so go for the 3-day and then a additional 1-day ticket if you need. You can but the Ticket with a credit card in the app. You just have the ticket in your phone and jump on your transport and if there are ticket controls you just show them the app. Easy. Make sure you have internet connection so you can show the ticket. You would almost exclusively travel by tram. Stay away from Taxis since they are too expensive.

@Tentacle answered it already, but I wanted to point out that the mobile subscriptions here are so much cheaper than in the US (or Canada, whoo). A prepaid subscription for a month is probably going to cost you 20-25 dollars/euros and it’s a pretty handy thing to have internet with you all day through the trip.

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Hilarious story from stockholm

A trolley driver threatened to stab my friend which we thought was hilarious

He went all like "fucking junkies get the fuck out of here etc"

Also he probably saw me puking in front of a store so that didnt help

And my friend had a black eye from fighting polish construction workers night before lmao

.....You guys do sound kind of like junkies to be fair.

Have fun with that.

Wait a second. They're complaining about the male statues. Many of them are historic figures, generals, leaders, etc.

I don't remember any women winning any wars though. If they did we could prop up some of them. Just saying.

Damn I'm watching Vinland saga right now and waiting to watch Vikings after. What happened to the Scandinavian countries? They went from being some of the most hardened people on earth to something quite different.

Wait a second. They're complaining about the male statues. Many of them are historic figures, generals, leaders, etc.

I don't remember any women winning any wars though. If they did we could prop up some of them. Just saying.

Damn I'm watching Vinland saga right now and waiting to watch Vikings after. What happened to the Scandinavian countries? They went from being some of the most hardened people on earth to something quite different.
Strong men create good times, good times create weak men, etc..

Yo @Smoochie Wallace, now that u outta jail for a bit, maybe u can help this dude out.

Also feel free share with us what went down, how it was, and so on ie future plans, Bud.

Last edited:
Awesome place, Gothenburg and Stockholm are both sweet. Be prepared for the hottest chicks ever.

They have produced a ton of great Metal Bands over there.

Back