Going to London this summer...

Decent advice there. Dover itself is a dive. Full of illegal immigrants and benefits claimants...

Leeds Castle which despite its name is actually in Maidstone Kent is good. Have a look at that on their website.

Rochester in Kent - bugger all to do , really quaint shops and architecture but full of homeless and junkies but they don't bother you though. There's Rochester castle but it's pretty derelict.

Haven't been to Canterbury in years so can't comment.

Also look at a day in Hastings - lots to do there. Quaint shops , crazy golf, aquarium , castle , hillside trains , smugglers adventure . I remember my kids loved it.
https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/hastings-chavscum-on-sea.html

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/5-towns-in-the-south-east-that-are-worse-than-hastings.html

I don't think either of these have been mentioned London Transport Museum in Covent Garden and the Imperial War Museum work for a 4 and 6 year old.
Planes hanging from the roof, tanks etc.... ok it's war but anyway and you can get on a lot of the busses etc in the transport museum, transport sounds boring but it's stuff kids seem to like doing.

And take them on the DLR and try and sit right at the front of the front carriage, it might be hard to do as they're very popular seats.

Last edited:
London is quite big and hard to do most things in a single day, Though its easy enough to get about via the tube. The Churchill War Rooms are allegedly quite good though didn't have the money or time to visit it last time I was there.

Try getting out to Brighton while there, its not far by train (about an 1hr and a bit) which is great for the food and the sea front. Theres also plenty of castles and historical sights around the entire UK. Bristol Baths and Warwick castle are favourites of mine but there are plenty others.

If you go at the right time of year you can also go check out the cheese rolling in Gloucestershire, and shin kicking at the Cotswold Olimpicks, not to mention bog snorkelling in Wales or welly wanging.

Not done North Wales but we like South Wales the bits we've visited.

Railway ? P-way, Driver ,Guard ?
The llyn peninsula is very silimar to Pembrokeshire if you've been there. Can't recommend North Wales it's a really under rated part of the world.
I'm a train manager, but it's just my company's name for a guard

have fun on muslim/gipsy land, because that shit ain't England anymore

One of my favourite things about London, the view at night time walking along the Thames.

St Paul's Cathedral is incredible and well worth a visit. You can start near London Bridge and go to the Shard first (great views from the top - you might even spot a stabbing if you're lucky....joke). And then walk along the Thames from London Bridge west towards Millennium Bridge, cross over that and head up straight towards St Paul's Cathedral. This view walking over the bridge is pretty cool -
Photo-06-10-2016-17-00-38-e1488124469564-1024x734.jpg

You can also walk to the top of St Paul's Cathedrawl, but it's a very narrow spiral metal staircase to the top, so probably not suitable for children.

As others have mentioned the museums are worth visiting. Your kids should enjoy the Natural History museum the most (it's usually packed with kids). The science museum nearby is pretty cool, has some of the rockets used for the Apollo missions as well as things taken from the moon (i.e. rocks). The National Museum is huge, it has the Rosetta Stone, lots of mummies and some cool Roman artifacts (among thousands of other things). They are all free, so good day to visit if the weather is rubbish.

Last edited:
You can check out Luton, only about an hour from London and brimming with cultural enrichment and diversity.

Good ideas.

But I think Stonehenge is good. It is also near Salisbury cathedral which I believe is the largest cathedral in England. It's huge!
That’s what she said.

Trafalgar Square, oxford street, bond street, ,Westminster palace, Buckingham palace, Hyde park, Harrods, Fleet Street / temple (go to temple church), St. Paul’s, Lloyds of London, Tower of London, Tower bridge, hms Belfast. Whatever Museums tickle your pickle.

Back