Going to London this summer...

sleepwalk

pork roll, egg and cheese belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
1000px-Palace_of_Westminster_from_the_dome_on_Methodist_Central_Hall.jpg

What should I be doing?

This is my second trip across the pond (first was Ireland) and I'm definitely doing some touristy historical stuff; Canterbury Cathedral, White Cliffs, a trip out to Stonehenge and/or Hadrian's Wall, there's a river cruise on Thames that looks like some good sight-seeing.

Also, I'll be traveling with the wife and two small kids. That changes a lot.

Any Sherbrits know of some hidden gems? Rough areas to avoid? Where to get some good Indian food? If 221b Baker St is worth looking for?

Depending on how well behaved your kids are, you may consider join free walking tour. (voluntary tipping)

One of the highlight of London for me was the street art and street food of Brick Lane.

30.jpg

bring a stab proof vest, don't bother with stone henge, the white cliffs are being invaded by people in small boats. watch out for your kids if they're girls.

A day trip to Windsor Castle is totally worth it. Charming little town and only about 1 hour from London.

if ur travelling with kids/there 4 less than 2 weeks, i think that will be enough. would say get out 2 Brighton. i can point u to some heroin.

Agreed. It's boring , you can't get near the stones and your kids will probably get bored rapidly.
If you want to look at some stone circles Avebury is much better than Stonehenge, and fewer filthy hippies about...

Buy a Liverpool soccer shirt, and when you see Manchester United fans yell at them that Manchester is blue, if you are trying to make friends anyways.

1000px-Palace_of_Westminster_from_the_dome_on_Methodist_Central_Hall.jpg

What should I be doing?

This is my second trip across the pond (first was Ireland) and I'm definitely doing some touristy historical stuff; Canterbury Cathedral, White Cliffs, a trip out to Stonehenge and/or Hadrian's Wall, there's a river cruise on Thames that looks like some good sight-seeing.

Also, I'll be traveling with the wife and two small kids. That changes a lot.

Any Sherbrits know of some hidden gems? Rough areas to avoid? Where to get some good Indian food? If 221b Baker St is worth looking for?

haven't been to london since 07', but the areas i've stayed in while there, in the earl's court/kensington, and inner-london around piccadilly circus areas, have both been fun but very different experiences. london, like nyc, is a city where you can't see everything in one trip, so you should figure out what london has to offer, and what things you really can't miss on your first trip. bring lots of money lol. london is expensive. for me, i like just walking around, eating and drinking at restaurants and pubs and chatting with locals, and just getting lost. london is a great city for that.

oh, and hope the weather isn't too bad lol.

If you want to look at some stone circles Avebury is much better than Stonehenge, and fewer filthy hippies about...

Plus you can walk around them. Or u used to be able to anyway.

Bring warm and wet weather clothes as our weather is unreliable..

How old are your kids ?

Right, if you decide to do Stonehenge there's a bus from right outside the train station that goes there. In addition you could do Salisbury cathedral and maybe cancel off Canterbury cathedral ?

Salisbury cathedral is about a 10 minute walk from the train station. That's worth a visit.

Windsor is a nice town , agreed , nice walks along the Thames and easily accessible on the train . Nice little crazy golf course for kids. Lego land Windsor is local too but that could take up a whole day easily. I like Windsor castle but there's not that much to do in there but the armoury is impressive.

The tower of London is good and quite impressive. HMS Belfast is nearby too depending on your kids ages.

White Cliffs are okay but there is also Dover Castle , surprisingly in Dover. That's decent enough , lots of tunnels used in WW2 and stuff.

My kids liked Portsmouth , lots of old ships including HMS Victory to walk around and the Mary Rose museum.

Natural History museum is free and most kids seem to like walking around looking at dinosaurs although I find it boring now but I've done it about 4 or 5 times in 10 years. National Science museum is next door although I wasn't impressed by that.

We enjoyed the London Eye.

Where are you going to be based ?

Last edited:
All the best museums in London are free. Science, Natural History, Imperial war and V&A museum of childhood are all fantastic and will be enjoyed by the kids as well. British, tate modern, and V&A are fantastic for adults, but will probably bore the kids.

The Tower of London isn't free, but there's a whole day's worth of stuff to see and do. Kids will like it too, it's full of cannons, suits of armor and medieval torture devices.

There's good stuff around Grenwich. the Observatory, the maritime museum and the cutty sark.

Stonehenge is crap. You go there, look at some fallen over rocks you can't get near, and then leave. Nothing else nearby, It'll be a waste of a day. Big Ben is currently covered in scaffolding so don't be disappointed about that. I

If you're heading south east of London, the jurassic coast of Dorset is a much better destination than stonehenge or Dover, but you won't be able to do it as a day trip, you'd need to stay down there 2 nights min for it to be worth the drive or train journey. Windsor or Oxford are better day drop destinations.

Last edited:
Get a train to North Wales, direct from London. It's a stunning area, you can try titan zipwire or bounce below (Google them) for something different. There's also the Welsh mountain railway which you can use to get to the summit of mount snowdon and numerous Edwardian castles if that's your thing. Also port meirion is a cool place to visit. As far as London goes it depends on the age of your kids, there's various west end shows, museums, art gallerie, landmarks (the open top bus tours are good for that) you can also visit the Harry potter studios in Watford (you need to book well in advance) as well as the London dungeons,the tower of London. Kidzania also looks fun for younger kids
How are you travelling around the area?
I work.on the railway in and out of london So if you're planning on using the train let me know and I'll give you advice on best way to get cheaper fares etc

How old are your kids ?

Right, if you decide to do Stonehenge there's a bus from right outside the train station that goes there. In addition you could do Salisbury cathedral and maybe cancel off Canterbury cathedral ?

Salisbury cathedral is about a 10 minute walk from the train station. That's worth a visit.

Windsor is a nice town , agreed , nice walks along the Thames and easily accessible on the train . Nice little crazy golf course for kids. Lego land Windsor is local too but that could take up a whole day easily. I like Windsor castle but there's not that much to do in there but the armoury is impressive.

The tower of London is good and quite impressive. HMS Belfast is nearby too depending on your kids ages.

White Cliffs are okay but there is also Dover Castle , surprisingly in Dover. That's decent enough , lots of tunnels used in WW2 and stuff.

My kids liked Portsmouth , lots of old ships including HMS Victory to walk around and the Mary Rose museum.

Natural History museum is free and most kids seem to like walking around looking at dinosaurs although I find it boring now but I've done it about 4 or 5 times in 10 years. National Science museum is next door although I wasn't impressed by that.

We enjoyed the London Eye.

Where are you going to be based ?

Our first few days will be in Kent. That (and the tomb of both a prince and a martyr) piqued my interest in Cantebury. Just saw the pictures of Salisbury. It is jaw-dropping! As that's close to Avebury (with the better stone circles that you can actually walk around, reportedly,) I'll be sure to make an effort to take that in.

My kids will 4 and 6 at the time of the trip so I plan on half-day trips and liberal use of the tablets. Good to know about the free museums as my son is 90% dinosaur in his head and what castles are worth it.

Get a train to North Wales, direct from London. It's a stunning area, you can try titan zipwire or bounce below (Google them) for something different. There's also the Welsh mountain railway which you can use to get to the summit of mount snowdon and numerous Edwardian castles if that's your thing. Also port meirion is a cool place to visit. As far as London goes it depends on the age of your kids, there's various west end shows, museums, art gallerie, landmarks (the open top bus tours are good for that) you can also visit the Harry potter studios in Watford (you need to book well in advance) as well as the London dungeons,the tower of London. Kidzania also looks fun for younger kids
How are you travelling around the area?
I work.on the railway in and out of london So if you're planning on using the train let me know and I'll give you advice on best way to get cheaper fares etc

I drove across Ireland and not much in any urban centers. I really would like to avoid driving in and in/out of London. Lower Manhattan can be a pain but, at least, it's the side if the road that I'm accustomed to.

I'm taking my family to London for a few days this summer as well.

I've spent many weekends in London and the best advice I got came from a guy who ran book shop (very old book) in Chelsea. He told me to spend a couple of days walking around and exploring each of the cities that make up London (South Kensington, knightsbridge, Chelsea, Notting Hill, Marlybone, ...). I did that and it was great advice. Each weekend I would go to a different Neighborhood on London.

I'm taking my family to London for a few days this summer as well.

I've spent many weekends in London and the best advice I got came from a guy who ran book shop (very old book) in Chelsea. He told me to spend a couple of days walking around and exploring each of the cities that make up London (South Kensington, knightsbridge, Chelsea, Notting Hill, Marlybone, ...). I did that and it was great advice. Each weekend I would go to a different Neighborhood on London.

That is superb advice. I was wandering around Dublin, looking for a shortcut, and decided to look at the plaque on a building: it was the music hall where Handel's "Messiah" was first performed. The next day, I passed by Phil Lynott's old apartment (if that plaque was to be believed) and found some killer sushi a little ways from his statue on Harry St. All by accident.

Back