Going 100% on neckcranks in sparring

As a hamfisted wrestler dropped into a jiujitsu world, I thoroughly appreciate the nuances of neck cranks and the like, but that's poor form on his part. Regardless of the sport you shouldn't try to maim your teammates in a practice scenario. Dick move.

You said you do lighter sparring and are two months in. Something my teacher told me, "You're not good enough to go easy on someone yet."

Others may disagree with me, but I wouldn't be going "light" at two months. Train hard, focus on technique, and tap. I didn't tap to a neck crank at around two months in or so. I felt really proud of fighting my way out of it against a bigger and stronger opponent. Then I couldn't turn my neck one way for about a week. Would have been way easier to tap and move on (and less painful).

You said you do lighter sparring and are two months in. Something my teacher told me, "You're not good enough to go easy on someone yet."

Others may disagree with me, but I wouldn't be going "light" at two months. Train hard, focus on technique, and tap. I didn't tap to a neck crank at around two months in or so. I felt really proud of fighting my way out of it against a bigger and stronger opponent. Then I couldn't turn my neck one way for about a week. Would have been way easier to tap and move on (and less painful).

Pride and ego get in the way of some peoples training. Especially when it comes to higher belts not wanting to tap to lower belts.

Going 100% in sparring on anything but chokes is dumb.

Instantly going 100% on a neck crank is inexcusable in most practice situations. It's especially inexcusable on a guy with 2 months experience. If you want to put the guy in an uncomfortable position and let him try and defend it, that's fine and helps your partner learn.

But just cranking full on, and seemingly not teaching your partner the proper escape afterward, makes him sound like a dick that wanted to make himself feel better by 'schooling' a new guy.

In one of my first grappling classes I took (I'm 5'9", 155 lbs.) I rolled with a guy who was 6'2" 230 lbs, and he went for the neck crank every time we rolled. Pissed me off because he was just using muscle over technique and I wasn't strong or knowledgable enough to know how to prevent it

In one of my first grappling classes I took (I'm 5'9", 155 lbs.) I rolled with a guy who was 6'2" 230 lbs, and he went for the neck crank every time we rolled. Pissed me off because he was just using muscle over technique and I wasn't strong or knowledgable enough to know how to prevent it

That happened to me too almost four years ago to the day. I'm 5'10 170 and some former linebacker 6'2 230 kept putting all his weight right into my neck. I didn't really know what to do about it at the time. I tapped, he'd do it again. Let it be known people -- neck cranking a beginner is pure unadulterated douche. PURE AS THE DRIVEN SNOW.

If he did it intentionally to hurt you then he's worthy of payback. Grind your forearm hard against his jaw if you end up in his guard or if you get his back stick the boney section of the inside of your wrist between his eyes and clasp the outside of that hind with your other hand, basically like you are doing a short choke. If he ends up in your guard pull his head down and rest one of his cheek bones against your knee while locking your hands behind his head, bridge your hips high driving that knee into his cheek bone and pull down hard with your hands, makes for a very nasty submission. If he turtles up from his side apply your elbow just to the outside of his spine(basically the muscle around the spine), it's a wake call and he'll pop his head up quick for you to get the choke. Once again I mean these only to deal with assholes who intend to cause others damage. There's a difference between going hard to learn and going hard to hurt.

Nice lol

I only ever neck crank guys who are rrolling like dicks. Usually meat head types who come to a few classes expecting to dominate everyone just cos they lift stupid ammounts of weight

Damn I used a can opener on someone last week, I saw GSP keep doing it to Condit, I just did to try and open his guard, is wrong to do in training?i'm a big strong guy so I guess even going half hurts with that move.

Someone going 100% on a neck crank in sparring is a dickhead. This isn't even a discussion.

Damn I used a can opener on someone last week, I saw GSP keep doing it to Condit, I just did to try and open his guard, is wrong to do in training?i'm a big strong guy so I guess even going half hurts with that move.

do-you-even-lift-35112.jpg

Last edited:
One of my best friends (who is way better than me and out weighs me by 80 lbs) applied an arm in guillotine and cranked my neck very quickly. I'm not sure if I was able to slip to a safer position to tap just in time or if he readjusted when he realized he was cranking and not choking but for a split second I thought I was going to have a bad neck injury. He didn't do it on purpose, he's just alot stronger than I am. I wanted to yell "tap" but I also wanted to readjust my position to get to safety. I felt like if I yelled tap instead of keep moving, it might have been too late. I'm still not sure what the right thing to do would have been. Yell tap and hope he hears in time or concentrate on getting to a safe position and then yell tap.

Scary moment, but those are some of the risks we take doing this sport.

I usually just tap. My ego tends to heal a lot faster than my neck does.

There's a fine line that team mates shouldn't cross. You want them to go hard, be aggressive, and make you uncomfortable because that helps make you better.
They need to understand that aggression needs to be met with control. That means knowing how to push it as far as they can without hurting someone. It's tough for newer grapplers to know where the line is, which is why a lot of people don't like to roll with less experienced people.

One of the coaches at my school, jake shield's brother, always puts on guillotines and neck cranks hard and fast... Seems He goes 100% every roll. A really nice guy and a great teacher but tap quickly with him or you'll be sore for a week.

One benefit to this kind of sparring is that my defense has gotten pretty solid.

Back