PlayStation GOD OF WAR [2016, PS4]

Really pumped for this game, I love the series and I loved the greek setting, but it was time to move on, Kratos had killed just about everyone and the story had been done to death, they needed a new setting and story. I am cool with this being the same Kratos, some people thought it might be alternate reality Kratos.

I hope they don't end up killing his family, if one of the gods kill his son or wife and sends him into a rage again, then its just GOW 1-3 again, only in Norse setting. My biggest complaint about the previous games was that after GOW3, Ascension wasn't as good (combat wise it was the best) because the story was nothing new and almost non existent. Give me a different motivation for Kratos to take on the gods please.

Also to address people not liking this Kratos because he shows some emotion other than anger, well its his son, Kratos was always loving to his family and hell in GOW1 he wasn't as angry as he was in the second and third games. In the PSP games he showed happiness and grief as well, both with his daughter and his brother. The anger is still there and it can be seen in the gameplay demo.

One more thing, if you recall at the end of GOW3 when Kratos "dies", his body is gone after the credits and underneath there is a phoenix carved into the ground. Phoenix a meaning for rebirth, he was most likely reborn in a different world, curious as to how though.

looks like ben rothwell

kinda got bored on gow's gameplay
got lazy on fighting weak minions

@Dizzy After reading the bullet points you posted, I'm really hoping that this game is kind of close to something like Bloodborne. In that game, you had a direction to go but you were able to complete quests (and kind of forced to) to level up your player. I know the GoW franchise was built to be on the rails because it was non-stop action and it was how the game was setup to play. I don't want an adult version of Zelda, however I hope to have something more and new. I'm betting Santa Monica was given a breath of fresh air now that they have moved on from the Greek Mythology Mythos and this is exactly the kick starter they need. The up-close fighting sequences have me really excited.
I mentioned when it was revealed that it reminded me a bit of Dark Souls, though it looks like there are several influences.

I'm very open minded to whatever Barlog and his team have in store. That's exactly what he said in an interview. This has given the team so many more ways to go and really breathed life back into the franchise.

Can't wait to see what this turns into.

A thread on neogaf shows some details that might have been missed in the gameplay.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1235828

b1SMqCa.gif

wVsBEYS.gif

What looks like a river is actually a giant fucking snake! Speculation that it's Jörmungandr
giphy.gif

Hype levels rising

Someone update the title

New release date is 4/20/18!!

This new trailer looks sick. Can't wait!

Worried about the gameplay in this one. I know some people didn’t like Ascension but I loved it. GOWs over the top boss battles cannot be beaten. Gow3 was arguably the best game on ps3.

Worried about the gameplay in this one. I know some people didn’t like Ascension but I loved it. GOWs over the top boss battles cannot be beaten. Gow3 was arguably the best game on ps3.

Ascension was fine, just short, and the multiplayer just wasn't worth sacrificing a proper single player campaign for. There was nothing particularly wrong with anything, it just felt like more of an experiment, and the whole GOW game play had worn a bit thin by that point.

I'm sure this will be fine, but I think they're pushing it a bit. I wish the developers would do what Naughty Dog did, in keeping their main meal ticket alive, but also branch out and try to create something new and fresh, like ND did with TLOU. I'm fine with Kratos being kept around, but let's move on, shall we?

Watching the trailer, it does feel like a different game, but they just had to put Kratos in there. Like really, how far am I supposed to suspend my disbelief that Kratos is some old man raising a child? He's a shit talking God killer. You can't humanize that too much, without getting stupid.

Last edited:
Ascension was fine, just short, and the multiplayer just wasn't worth sacrificing a proper single player campaign for. There was nothing particularly wrong with anything, it just felt like more of an experiment, and the whole GOW game play had worn a bit thin by that point.

I'm sure this will be fine, but I think they're pushing it a bit. I wish the developers would do what Naughty Dog did, in keeping their main meal ticket alive, but also branch out and try to create something new and fresh, like ND did with TLOU. I'm fine with Kratos being kept around, but let's move on, shall we?

Watching the trailer, it does feel like a different game, but they just had to put Kratos in there. Like really, how far am I supposed to suspend my disbelief that Kratos is some old man raising a child? He's a shit talking God killer. You can't humanize that too much, without getting stupid.

I really don’t think the GOW gameplay wore thin even after Ascension. We don’t get those types of games anymore unfortunately. This new one reminds me of Hunted: The Demons Forge with the combat type. I will still play this game but I just don’t see how this combat system can even come close to GoW3. It should have just been Kratos vs the Norse gods.

This game is the king of hack and slash brutality.. now we finally get it on PS4.

People want to bitch and analyze about every game... just wait till it hits the bargain bin and let the true god of war fans enjoy it. Santa Monica studio is epic.

Holy fuck, I was interested in this game as I am a huge fan of GOW, but never really knew how the combat would be implemented to reflect Kratos violent and vicious combat style, and wow I cant believe ow good it looks to play. I cant wait. Day 1.

I'm also a day 1. I may take Friday and Monday off so I can play way more hours than a grown man should play a video game consecutively. Life is good.

I'm not looking at any thing online so everything is a surprise to me.

Already reserved it. Just waiting patiently...

I'm also a day 1. I may take Friday and Monday off so I can play way more hours than a grown man should play a video game consecutively. Life is good.

I'm not looking at any thing online so everything is a surprise to me.

Same here, Day 1 for me. It sucks because my TV is mounted on my wall pretty high up so it’s hard to get really immersed but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The game looks great and combat looks tight. I hope the story is solid and the upgrade system is deep.

I guess we won’t know until the end if this is a 1 off or another trilogy.

Pretty sad there wasnt a new official thread for this!

Pretty sad there wasnt a new official thread for this!

Lol I just dug this up out of the archives. Some people want a fresh thread others would prefer you hit the search button I guess.

Back