GOAT's football skill

C. Ronaldo is among the top football GOATs. Higher than the real Ronaldo:)

But he is still a crybaby...

KB2e9Ap.gif

475036587.jpg

1415273959631_wps_6_The_black_boots_of_Cristi.jpg

article-2539112-007E7E6C00000258-321_306x423.jpg

dac6d1182b34f8573ae4ee83a145e2be_large.gif

He might even be the GOAT football player. He and Messi are both monsters with fortunate health, but he can't surpass real Ronaldo in my eyes.

Hell no, Messi is the greatest player to have ever lived.

Both Ronaldo's can fight it out with Maradona, Pele, Zidane and quite a few others for the rest of the top 10 list, but Messi is on a whole other level.

To be fair the first goal wasn't so much Ronaldo being brilliant as it was Khan fucking up. The fact that he made the play was a testament to his brilliant movement and awareness, though.

Well, it's the small things like that that make greats great.

He scored on the highest level of football competition vs the player of the WC. 2x.

No one knows how that feels.

He described it like this:

" After the game Ronaldo said winning the World Cup was better than sex -- because it only comes around once every four years.

"Both are very hard to stay without and I'm sure sex wouldn't be so rewarding as this World Cup.

It's not that sex isn't good but the World Cup is every four years and sex is not," he said, adding cheekily: "I'm going to have sex in a few moments."

And to make this even bigger:

"Today God reserved this for me and the Brazilian team. I'm very happy and proud. I dedicate these goals to my family and to doctor Gerard Saillant," said a tearful Ronaldo, referring to the French doctor who performed the surgery on his knee that saved his career.

"It's thanks to my family and him that I'm here to celebrate these goals in a World Cup final after two and a half years of suffering and sorrow," added Ronaldo.

Alfa and gracious at the same time.

Not really, i've been doing the trick Aldo did since I was about 8 years old, and i'm average at best.

I think what Conor did would be a bit harder to do, although Jose gets credit for doing it to Neymar...

Conor's trick is muuuuch harder to do, but it tells me nothing about his actuall football skills:)

Chapeau to Vintersorg for his overall perspective, including those possible flaws.
Speaking about being a leader and able to truly elevate the entire team, Mexico 86 Maradona is probably the ultimate example.

If 1996/97 Ronaldo in Barcelona was an hurricane, one year later he became a... "refined and aware of itself" hurricane

Among 1997/98 best moments (too many), an iconic one: Ronaldo dancing on mud and ice in Moscow and scoring a crucial winner on the road to the Uefa Cup (english commentary, even if italian Bruno Pizzul should be mandatory).
That first touch on the edge of the penalty area

[YT]watch?v=_Gpstph6KBc[/YT]

Back in topic again:

mcgregor-sports-day-630x472.jpg

Yeah he played on a f*cking farm field and still handled the ball perfectly:)

Well when Manchester f*cking United fans give you a standing ovation and you play for Real Madrid, then you have to be doing something right:D

After scoring 3 goals for Real in Old Trafford:

"When Ronaldo, the European Footballer of the Year, left the field midway through the second half, his wrecking job accomplished, Real's smiling assassin received a moving, lengthy ovation from almost everyone within Old Trafford."

Chapeau to Vintersorg for his overall perspective, including those possible flaws.
Speaking about being a leader and able to truly elevate the entire team, Mexico 86 Maradona is probably the ultimate example.

If 1996/97 Ronaldo in Barcelona was an hurricane, one year later he became a... "refined and aware of itself" hurricane

Among 1997/98 best moments (too many), an iconic one: Ronaldo dancing on mud and ice in Moscow and scoring a crucial winner on the road to the Uefa Cup (english commentary, even if italian Bruno Pizzul should be mandatory).
That first touch on the edge of the penalty area

[YT]watch?v=_Gpstph6KBc[/YT]

Back in topic again:

mcgregor-sports-day-630x472.jpg

Every single time since then when I watched a football game and listened to commentators saying how players will have a bit harder time controlling the ball because there is no grass on the pitch or there was too much rain, I remembered this. Such insane ball control and movement on frozen puddles of mud, simply glorious.

And yeah, there has never been such a leader as Maradona. He was demonized by FIFA and the media because he was always outspoken about corruption in top football organizations, but what he did in Napoli was simply out of this world. Won the Serie A twice, finished second twice and finished third once with a relatively mediocre team + he won the Italian supercup and UEFA cup(which was awesome competition back then, because Champions league back then only had national champions, so top 3-4 clubs from strong leagues competed in UEFA cup). He had the balls to try anything on the pitch and in that sense he is much like Michael Jordan in basketball, they were both competitive as fuck and would try anything so their team would win.

I know a guy who is like 55 years old now and he's got thousands of games in his collection and he's seen them all over the years, some of them many times. He's very objective and hates favoritism and when people judge players based on media hype and statistics only. He once told me that the 1980s were probably the toughest era in football history in terms of defensive football, especially in Italy. Many defenders were very skilled and they didn't even get yellow cards for brutal fouls back then + defensive football was never in history so popular. He said that in such an era entire defences felt trapped by one man and that man was Maradona, because it was almost impossible to stop him. I've seen and read interviews with many of Maradona's teammates and they all said he was fair and honest on the pitch and always humble and respective to other players. Even Paolo Maldini said that. He suffered a lot of fouls and never complained, just got up and kept on playing. And man, the games he played against 1988.-1990. A.C. Milan(which was btw one of the top 5 teams in history of football) were simply amazing. Napoli was a decent team, but mediocre in terms of overall talent compared to the very top of Europe's top 5 leagues, yet they were able to do great things because of Maradona.

In his analysis of Maradona, he stated that Maradona certainly wasn't the most complete player ever, but his skill set was complete, versatile and refined. There was no way of stopping Maradona, you just had to pick your poison and hope he had a bad day. He also said that Maradona's skill was not the biggest asset for the teams he played for, it was his behavior and attitude. He put his ego and pride aside and he never claimed he was better than anyone(although he knew he was the best) and never asked for special privileges. In 1983. he met with Carlos Bilardo(the national team coach at the time) to discuss his pay and possible privileges, because he was one of the biggest stars in the world then. Maradona simply said to him: "Don't worry, I'm just one of the players. Most important thing for me is to represent Argentina, I'd do it for free".

He got up at the same time as everyone else, he didn't ask for any special privileges and he was always a team player. That's the reason his teammates and opponents always respected him. Cruyff was also one of the best players of all time, but he was the opposite of Maradona, a fucking egomaniac that didn't want to listen to his manager or national team coach. I can't remember the names, but the best Dutch goalkeeper at the time was not the first choice for the national team because Cruyff wanted his friend to be the goalkeeper. Even commentators were joking about it, saying how Cruyff is still trying to decide which substitutions to make during half-time, because the Dutch team was late showing up to the pitch.

C. Ronaldo is among the top football GOATs. Higher than the real Ronaldo:)

But he is still a crybaby...

KB2e9Ap.gif

475036587.jpg

1415273959631_wps_6_The_black_boots_of_Cristi.jpg

article-2539112-007E7E6C00000258-321_306x423.jpg

dac6d1182b34f8573ae4ee83a145e2be_large.gif

He might even be the GOAT football player. He and Messi are both monsters with fortunate health, but he can't surpass real Ronaldo in my eyes.

Messi is 100% better than C Ronaldo. I see no reason whatsoever to think otherwise. C Ronaldo is definitely the 2nd best footballer today. It's hard to rank footballers of different generations. What Maradona did for NapolI and Argentina was special. Both Ronaldo and Messi have been far more fortunate with team mates and when it comes to international neither have stepped up like Maradona did.

Hell no, Messi is the greatest player to have ever lived.

Both Ronaldo's can fight it out with Maradona, Pele, Zidane and quite a few others for the rest of the top 10 list, but Messi is on a whole other level.

I think Messi might have the best case too, but Pele, man. Pele. I can't go past him.

There were also other old school guys.

Messi is the greatest of the modern era, but you need to realise that he plays in the offensive Spanish league on one of the greatest teams ever who has very few real competition and his goals are easier to get.

I prefer international competition to club ones.

But still Messi creates his opportunities and can score at any time, so nothing against him really.

I can't really argue when someone says that Messi is the GOAT.

It's not a bad choice at all.

I consider Pele as the football GOAT, but I can accept Messi as someone else's too. No problem.

Messi is 100% better than C Ronaldo. I see no reason whatsoever to think otherwise. C Ronaldo is definitely the 2nd best footballer today. It's hard to rank footballers of different generations. What Maradona did for NapolI and Argentina was special. Both Ronaldo and Messi have been far more fortunate with team mates and when it comes to international neither have stepped up like Maradona did.

It's not even their fault tbh. Problem with today's football is that the most of the world's best players are in few selected teams. Even if a team like Atletico or some other team of their rank wins a national championship or has a great and talented generation, it's all gone within 1-2 seasons, cause these bigger clubs will offer shitloads of money and the players will be drawn by the prestige of these clubs. Look what happened to Borussia couple years ago, they had the potential to be in top 3 teams in Europe for years to come, and their best players were sold to Bayern. They had a young and prosperous team and more importantly, these young guys played many games together and there was synergy and team spirit. All gone now.

And yeah, Messi is absolutely above C. Ronaldo. However, C. Ronaldo has great work ethic and his transformation to a classic number 9 was great, ever since Alex Ferguson decided to use him as a forward. He knew he couldn't count on his athleticism forever, so he worked on his positioning, goal poaching and every other aspect of the game you can excel at even when 35+. Messi is great for Argentina, but all he has is a few great dribbles each game and some goals in an era where national team football is mediocre and lot of teams struggle. He's got great statistics in his national team games, but he's not even 50% of what he is in Barca. Then again, he's got some of the best guys in the world as his teammates in Barcelona for a decade now heh :). Messi is for sure one of the best dribblers of all time and also one of the best finishers. In my book he's just behind top 5, since he's the best player in his teams but he's not their heart and soul. And he didn't really bring anything new to football like the guys who revolutionized the game in many ways. Still, I got Platini and him sharing 6th place, although they're very different players.

This are not football skills, but these are flashy moves and good ball control in a stationary position.

I used to play soccer and during games, nobody is going to do things like this:)

I was never great at this stuff, because I rarely tried it. I rather played football and those who did this a lot usually weren't fast enough, or had stamina enough, because they focused too much on this unneccessery part of the game.

As a great defender I loved to defend against flashy guys, because their flashy moves could easily be stopped by a single tackle or an even simpler defensive kick. Those flashy guys would also lose heart after a few such plays and start either crying like C. Ronaldo or were like zombies until the rest of the game:)

tumblr_mqgo5hnHoT1r7g4m6o1_400.gif

[YT]watch?v=LHuVntiOpfU[/YT]

This is how you do it, with small movements on the ground that put the ball just out of reach of defenders. Ball in the air is too slow and a good jumper has an easier time stealing it from you.

It's good to have a good control over a ball, but this isn't functional in actual games.

Damn I miss football. Playing it, not watching it.

haha...that, and blistering speed doesn't hurt. Try that tricky shit without Ronaldo's speed and you're going nowhere at a high level.

It's not even their fault tbh. Problem with today's football is that the most of the world's best players are in few selected teams. Even if a team like Atletico or some other team of their rank wins a national championship or has a great and talented generation, it's all gone within 1-2 seasons, cause these bigger clubs will offer shitloads of money and the players will be drawn by the prestige of these clubs. Look what happened to Borussia couple years ago, they had the potential to be in top 3 teams in Europe for years to come, and their best players were sold to Bayern. They had a young and prosperous team and more importantly, these young guys played many games together and there was synergy and team spirit. All gone now.

And yeah, Messi is absolutely above C. Ronaldo. However, C. Ronaldo has great work ethic and his transformation to a classic number 9 was great, ever since Alex Ferguson decided to use him as a forward. He knew he couldn't count on his athleticism forever, so he worked on his positioning, goal poaching and every other aspect of the game you can excel at even when 35+. Messi is great for Argentina, but all he has is a few great dribbles each game and some goals in an era where national team football is mediocre and lot of teams struggle. He's got great statistics in his national team games, but he's not even 50% of what he is in Barca. Then again, he's got some of the best guys in the world as his teammates in Barcelona for a decade now heh :). Messi is for sure one of the best dribblers of all time and also one of the best finishers. In my book he's just behind top 5, since he's the best player in his teams but he's not their heart and soul. And he didn't really bring anything new to football like the guys who revolutionized the game in many ways. Still, I got Platini and him sharing 6th place, although they're very different players.

Very well put. This is actually a reason why i'm not that much into football these days. In Holland this is a very big problem. The average age nowadays in the league is 20-21. We have all these young talents, but as soon as they are playing good, Man U or Real Madrid or Chelsea comes a long and buyes them.

And bigger older names won't come anymore because they can play in the Premiership and make twice the money.

Messi is the GOAT IMO, and he's not even finished yet...

Very well put. This is actually a reason why i'm not that much into football these days. In Holland this is a very big problem. The average age nowadays in the league is 20-21. We have all these young talents, but as soon as they are playing good, Man U or Real Madrid or Chelsea comes a long and buyes them.

And bigger older names won't come anymore because they can play in the Premiership and make twice the money.

Yeah, it sucks. I always loved players from Holland and I remember in the mid 1990s almost the entire national team were Ajax players, when they won the CL in 1995. Dutch clubs were always famous for their youth categories and producing world class players. Even some international players were signed by Dutch clubs and then had great careers. PSV was Romario's and Ronaldo's first European club. Seedorf and Bergkamp are among my favorite players of all time, too bad Ajax or PSV can't keep guys like these 2 for more than a few years. Bergkamp is one of the few players in the entire history of football with that slow motion style of play and supreme technique. Not many players were able to produce that slow motion effect when dribbling or trapping the ball. Although they all played different positions and had different styles of play, I can compare his technique and movement to Beckenbauer, Zidane, Michael Laudrup and maybe Francescoli(Zidane's idol).

On a less serious note, he definitely had "surprises" but, to be honest and speaking only about public image (partying aside), young lolitesque Susana Werner was prime Ronaldo's girlfriend.

4.jpg

f_50994.jpg

2096178712_c658eb5fc2_o.jpg

8wstbc7sdikxcbsw.jpg
10_susana_werner.jpg

I mean, Werner >>>... VanZant easily
Now she's a deserving milf, married to goalkeeper Julio Cesar.

Back