Goal #1 -> Sleep More

Dead Left

White Belt
Reaction score
6'0"
225lbs: I could probably lean out to 185. I wouldn't say that I'm a full 40lbs overweight, but I'm 40 lbs over fighting weight. Fatass.
31 years old.

I'm back in school right now trying to finish out my BA. I've decided to use a sort of prehab routine on Fridays until school is out and then move into a 16 week bulking cycle with emphasis on the big three. You won't see the holy trinity in what I'm calling my prehab weeks because I'm doing the big three at school... sort of. I made the mistake of signing up for a lifting class and now I am forced to participate in an inconsistent and unpredictable routine on Mondays and Wednesdays. Every class there's a 50% chance that we're just going outside to play touch football and a 50% chance that we're "maxing our Bench". This will be over soon, then I can get down to business for the summer.

I started lifting about a year ago, but I've figured out that I squashed my own progress by overtraining and not getting enough sleep. I was jogging 3-5 miles twice a week, running hill and stadium stair intervals twice a week, lifting three times a week, and taking muay thai and no-gi grappling classes. This semester I'm playing soccer and still getting to striking, grappling, and judo classes as often as school allows. Over the summer I really plan to stop running altogether, lift very hard twice a week, do some MMA training, and sleep, eat, sleep, eat, and sleep. I'll worry about losing the fat once I've met my basic strength goals.

So for the next few weeks, my routine looks like this:

Front Squat 5x5 @115lbs. (I've never done the FS before and I'm focusing on my form. I think I have a problem with wrist flexibility. I found the shoulder pocket for the bar, but I just can't get my elbows high enough.)

Glue-Ham Raise 5x5 w/ 55lb DB. (Ok, I _think_ I'm doing Glute-Ham Raises and not Hyperextensions. What's the difference? I'm bending my knees a little as I come up.)

Rack Pull 3x3 @405lbs. (I thought this would be a good way to prepare to start doing Dead Lifts again, but without overworking my legs. I have no way of knowing whether Monday I could be told to do an all legs day with full Back Squats and stadium stairs.)

Hise Shrugs 2x12 @335lbs. (I'm doing these in the Smith Machine. I had to use the manta ray today because the regular foam pads were nowhere to be found. It felt weird.)

Calf Raises 2x12 @335lbs. (I've honestly never had Calf Raises in my routine before. I just figured that since I was already standing in the Smith Machine with 335 on the bar I might as well.)

Machine OHP 5x5 @185lbs. (This is the first time I've ever touched a Nautilus. I felt like I needed some kind of press, but once again, I could be told on Monday to max out my Bench.)

Explosive 1/2 Squats @335lbs. (I think I hurt my spine. I've always done slow ATG Back Squats, but I'd like to do something specifically for my sprinting and my verticle jump. I think it was something I read at the Charlie Francis site that made me decide to try this. I come up so hard that the bar leaves my back and then what follows involves gravity and a lot of pain. Should I do a sitting leg press instead? Will I get the same results?)

As soon as the semester is over I'll stop fucking around with the machines and do some real work. I've got some specific goals in mind, but I'll post them when the legitimate routine begins.

I was debating whether or not to throw in a "lifting" course to see what they were all about this semester, but decided against it. Your post makes me happy with my decision.

Anyways, best of luck to you!

Back