GNC Anabolic Matrix Kit?

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Hey guys -
I'm currently in the middle of wrestling season (no time or energy to lift; I'm at school 7 hours and practice 4 hours), so I can't really focus on getting bigger for the moment. But, I'm 5'11", and about 151 pounds, at ~9.5% body fat. I would like to be 7% bf but I know I need to be heavier for my height, and so I want that weight to be in muscle.

I know there's a lot of hype and lies in the supplement department, and it's really easy to go out wasting your money. Currently the only supplements I use are Whey protein and a multivitamin. But, after wrestling season, I am looking to pack on 15-20 pounds or so of muscle. I have a pretty solid understanding of the basics of nutrition and supplementation, but I think to make the gains I'm looking for, I need to learn more.

Anyways, sorry for the life story. Down to my main question.

I'm looking at several different products (steering clear of Xyience thanks to my fellow Sherdoggers), and one of them that came up was the GNC Anabolic Matrix Kit. Here's a link if you haven't seen it.

http://www.gnc.com/productDetails.aspx?id=678090&lang=en

The description:

Daily Between Meals
Amino Burst

At your age the LAST thing you should be doing is boosting testosterone output by means of supplementation. You just don't need it. Eat and lift heavy, and make sure you get plenty of rest.

you're fucking 17 and training 4 hr a day?
God I wish I had studied in da USA and didn't waste all my time smoking ganja.
Anyway, back to your question. Keep lifting weights and maybe try some good old creatine. Other stuff is just o full of shit. I mean, where it's not bullshit it's proper crap that will do more harm than good. Don't worry about getting bigger too quickly, keep training and by the time you're 20 your body will have adjusted itelf to the weight god meant you to be. Also, go easy on the protein. You really don't need as much as supplements companies tell you. personally, I feel much better since I stopped taking them. Ever heard of the acid-alkaline thing? Well too much proteing will make your blood very acid and to cut a long story short you'll feel shit. Try liquid aminoacids instead. They are way more efficient that protein and you can even take them while training for an energy boost. What I do is mix amminos, creatine, sugar and water for post training or amminos, sugar and water if I have while training.

also, your parents buy u supplements?!?!?!?!
My parents still think that creatine is a steroid!!!!!

I mean, youre a lucky s.o.b.

I agree with KK. I used "supplements" when I was 16-18, thinking I would someday play in the NFL. Now, I have complications from this. You are young, and your body will produce more as you need it. Stay away from supplements for now.

paolo27th said:
also, your parents buy u supplements?!?!?!?!
My parents still think that creatine is a steroid!!!!!

I mean, youre a lucky s.o.b.

LMAO. I hear you man. My mom found creatine in my room before and threw it out. She doesn't believe in taking jack shit at all and think I should get everything through natural foods.

UbetterTAPout said:
I agree with KK. I used "supplements" when I was 16-18, thinking I would someday play in the NFL. Now, I have complications from this. You are young, and your body will produce more as you need it. Stay away from supplements for now.
So your saying multivitamins and minerals are bad to take at my age? I'm 17.

He's talking about Anabolic Steroids I think. Hence the quotation marks around the word supplements.

Iceman5592 said:
Hey guys -
I'm currently in the middle of wrestling season (no time or energy to lift; I'm at school 7 hours and practice 4 hours), so I can't really focus on getting bigger for the moment. But, I'm 5'11", and about 151 pounds, at ~9.5% body fat. I would like to be 7% bf but I know I need to be heavier for my height, and so I want that weight to be in muscle.

I know there's a lot of hype and lies in the supplement department, and it's really easy to go out wasting your money. Currently the only supplements I use are Whey protein and a multivitamin. But, after wrestling season, I am looking to pack on 15-20 pounds or so of muscle. I have a pretty solid understanding of the basics of nutrition and supplementation, but I think to make the gains I'm looking for, I need to learn more.

Anyways, sorry for the life story. Down to my main question.

I'm looking at several different products (steering clear of Xyience thanks to my fellow Sherdoggers), and one of them that came up was the GNC Anabolic Matrix Kit. Here's a link if you haven't seen it.

http://www.gnc.com/productDetails.aspx?id=678090&lang=en

The description:

Daily Between Meals
Amino Burst

Stop taking the creatine. That's one of the worst things you can be taking if you are trying to lose weight as creatine makes your muscles store water. Take just a post-recovery formula instead. I recommend Endurox R4.

There is nothing to suggest creatine cannot be benefitial to a cutting cycle. Creatine Monohydrate used in relatively low doses when compared to a bulking cycle would both benefit recovery and not do anything to detract from leanness or cutting. It's my experience that those who have difficulty cutting while using Creatine are typically using too much creatine.

I'm familiar with the GNC kit. For what you get, I feel that it's overpriced. I don't see anything really harmful in it...I just feel it's too much money for what they give you. Also, I think it has creatine in pill form. Keep in mind when chemicals are hard pressed into pills, the process sometimes breaks down the chemical component. I usually try to find all my vitamins in gel capsul form. Creatine is probably better if you find it as a powder.

dude seriously just eat and lift heavy. you will get bigger. when you think you have eating enough, eat more, and more. eat till you puke. that will get you your size.

Iceman5592 said:
Thanks for the advice. But if I were to buy this stuff, it would be after wrestling season. I'm looking to put on weight (in muscle) after the season ends.
Oh okay, that's a completely different story. If you wrestle year round though, you might want to still lay off the creatine in the off season as well, or like kubuki said take it in a low dose.

Tap112 said:
L-Glutamine is good. I used to take that during wrestling season myself.

Amino Burst

Madmick said:
Endurox R4 is an electrolyte solution with a little added protein. I would not recommend it for post-workout. It's designed to be used during exercise, particularly aerobics or other forms of exercise where you lose a lot of fluid.
It was designed as a performance and post-workout recovery drink. It contains a 4:1 carbohydrate ratio which is the ideal for muscle recovery. Its been (supposedly) proven to rebuild muscle protien 38% more than a protein drink and replenish glycogen levels 128% more than a carb drink. Bla bla, here's some links:
http://www.personalbestnutrition.com/cgi-bin/pbn/687.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/end/r4.html
They have a whole book out on it if you really want to get into detail. Most people take a creatine drink, carb drink, or a protien drink after their workout. Either way they are not getting that 4:1 ratio. It probably be best to take Endurox right after then the creatine a little later. Im not trying to sell you any of this stuff, but its not fair of you to say that its not good for post-workout. It's the best thing for post-workout that I've ever used.
Madmick said:
Also, if he wants to lose weight quickly (i.e. for cutting) then dropping the creatine would be fine. But he said he wants to lower his BF%, and that has nothing to do with the amount of water stored in your muscles.
His initial post made the impression that he was going to be taking this stuff during wrestling season. Taking creatine while trying to cut water weight would be counter-productive. That's the reason why I said to drop the creatine.

The 4:1 ratio for recovery is for endurance athletse, not strength/power athletes. However, for strenth/power athletes, I love that ratio for during the workout (more than Gatorade) because of the higher protein content.

You are right, I did use the word "designed" and that reflects intent; they do market Endurox as a recovery drink. But as I explained tersely above, the formula really isn't best for that, IMO. And I have seen it mentioned in literature by Berardi, Kleiner, Benardot, and I think an article by Poliquin, once. But even all of them talked about sipping it during the workout.

I don't believe 4:1 is the right ratio post-workout (resistance training). I prefer Kleiner's 3:1, and that's still very high (among the nutritional theorists) in carbs.

The bottom line is that it's overpriced. There's nothing special in Endurox.

Accelerade is a better formula, IMO, and cheaper. I drink that before workouts going longer than an hour and also my martial arts workouts (the only day I cramped in the last three months was the day I didn't take it).

Oh, and I understand why you recommended he drop the creatine.

I was thinking he could just cut it a week before every match, but then I realized high school wrestlers don't fight once every month or so like the guys from my gym.

I think it would be a good idea for him to find out how much it is adding. If he took the 2g of CEE like Kabuki recommended, he might be able to walk the line.

Well, I'm an Endurox fanboy. If we're talking weight training then I see your point (I'm assuming you're saying that a creatine formula is best after lifting? What do you take?), but I dont think there's anything else better on the market right now for preventing muscle breakdown after a long practice of speed training, wrestling, what have you (remember I recommeded he take Endurox for post-wrestling practice - edurance training - muscle recovery). As for it being over-priced, almost every supplement is, imo. Accelerade is made with the Endurox forumula just so you know.

Yea, a wrestler is going to have 2 or 3 matches in one week on average. I would def. not take it durning season, but he said this would be for after season so unless he wants to cut weight for tournaments, taking creatine would be fine.

I didn't realize you recommended it post-wrestling. That's my fault, I didn't read carefully. So you know, although "workout" has a wider application in the real world, in these forums that term is used almost exclusively to refer to weight training.

Endurox is overpriced. Just look at the ingredients, man: dextrose, WPC, maltodextrin, glutamine, Added Vitamin C&E, BCAA's, lecithin, ciwujiwa, and the preservatives.

Now check out Acclerade: Sucrose, WPC, lecithin, Added Vitamin C&E, BCAA's, and the natural preservatives.

Damn, was there a massive price drop in R4? I went to calculate it like I had before, and R4 came out to being over 2x as expensive gram for gram. Now it's only about 1.4x as expensive.

Also, and this is very odd, but Bodybuilding.com, DPS, and the Endurox site itself all list different ingredients for the R4.

I don't know what to tell you, Tap, at that price, go for the R4.

Back