Glover dominated Jake Shields in a pure grappling match, Santos shouldn't hang his head

A few months back, Glover absolutely ragdolled Shields in a straight BJJ match so I don't understand why everyone thinks Santos and Smith are undeserving black belts and terrible on the ground

Glover also beat Dean Lister under ADCC rules and dominated and finished ADCC NA trials winner Cirkunov on the ground in MMA

Well Santos seemed to forget how to shrimp and frame. Basic bjj skills.

His legs were on the ground doing nothing while Tex was on top. Santos could have been on the beach getting a tan the way his legs and hips were just chilling out.

You bring up an interesting point about Santos. Despite allegedly having good BJJ, I have never seen him use it effectively in a fight. Eric Spicely grappled him like he was a white belt, for Pete's sake. It seems like he just doesn't think about using it at all in the cage.

Guys who get outweighed by 50+ lbs submit elite big guys all the time in no-gi

Glover walks at around 230, Shields at 200ish so it's not like it was a heavyweight vs lightweight or something

Yep...

How much did Gabi Garcia outweigh Mackenzie Dern in their match by? 100 pounds?

And that was with gi. skill trumps size in pure BJJ

And remember Shields outgrappled Hendo

Well Santos seemed to forget how to shrimp and frame. Basic bjj skills.

His legs were on the ground doing nothing while Tex was on top. Santos could have been on the beach getting a tan the way his legs and hips were just chilling out.
Ever tried framing when someone is elbowing you?

Glover walks at around 230, Shields at 200ish so it's not like it was a heavyweight vs lightweight or something
If the skillset is vastly different thats true.

If two men have the exact same skillset and all else is equal, and one is bigger and stronger, he will win 9/10 times.

Glover's top game is solid. He's super heavy on top. Problem is in MMA, he just has to get to that position and shown to be vulnerable leading up to that point.

all things being equal, the bigger heavier guy will almost always win...that's the law of the jungle.

A few months back, Glover absolutely ragdolled Shields in a straight BJJ match so I don't understand why everyone thinks Santos and Smith are undeserving black belts and terrible on the ground

Glover also beat Dean Lister under ADCC rules and dominated and finished ADCC NA trials winner Cirkunov on the ground in MMA
Hespect to Glover. Legit skills + high level experience + old man strength + great fight IQ.

Which makes the way Phil Davis dominated him in the ground even more impressive

Glover is lhw while Jake is ww big difference

He knew the risks of taking on a top 5 fighter after a 2 year and multi surgery break.

He chose.....poorly.

FatBasicHeron-small.gif

I'm not judging him harshly either. I'm just saying with 2 paths - wade in slowly and work your way back up, or jump straight back into the shark infested deep end - he chose the riskier path with higher immediate reward.
No he actually felt he chose the easy path with high reward until grandpa Glover ruined it by granite head and crazy veteran skills.

Back