Glover dominated Jake Shields in a pure grappling match, Santos shouldn't hang his head

TFK20

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
A few months back, Glover absolutely ragdolled Shields in a straight BJJ match so I don't understand why everyone thinks Santos and Smith are undeserving black belts and terrible on the ground

Glover also beat Dean Lister under ADCC rules and dominated and finished ADCC NA trials winner Cirkunov on the ground in MMA

A few months back, Glover absolutely ragdolled Shields in a straight BJJ match so I don't understand why everyone thinks Santos and Smith are undeserving black belts and terrible on the ground

Well Santos seemed to forget how to shrimp and frame. Basic bjj skills.

His legs were on the ground doing nothing while Tex was on top. Santos could have been on the beach getting a tan the way his legs and hips were just chilling out.

if both guys are elite the size will make for a huge difference
That's hard to believe.

You are not elite if you are getting subbed by a much smaller elite grappler.
Featherweight Lachlan Giles submitted three elite heavyweights at ADCC with ease

Gordon Ryan dominated Buchecha who outweighed him by 50lbs

Featherweight Lachlan Giles submitted three elite heavyweights at ADCC with ease

gordon is also juiced to the fuckin gills

if both guys are elite the size will make for a huge difference
Shields hasn't fought in 2 years so there's chance that Shields is walking around much bigger than he used to be. If Shields decided to fight again it would probably be at MW so in reality there's only 1 division inbetween them.

Three of them?

When I was into BJJ I remember Marcelo Garcia was dominating the absolute division despite weighing around 180 until Roger Gracie came along.

Generally I think a rule of thumb was 20-30 pounds was equivalent to one belt rank superior.

Beating elite heavyweight's whilst being a featherweight is insane.

Three of them?

When I was into BJJ I remember Marcelo Garcia was dominating the absolute division despite weighing around 180 until Roger Gracie came along.

Generally I think a rule of thumb was 20-30 pounds was equivalent to one belt rank superior.

Beating elite heavyweight's whilst being a featherweight is insane.
Yep

He submitted ADCC 99+kg champ Kaynan Duarte, Patrick Gaudio, and Mahamed Aly in a single bracket

Heel hooks are the ultimate equalizer

Guys who get outweighed by 50+ lbs submit elite big guys all the time in no-gi

Glover walks at around 230, Shields at 200ish so it's not like it was a heavyweight vs lightweight or something
https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/jake-shields

Shields has 2 submission victories in his entire no-gi grappling career, that isn't his style. He also essentially has no victories over opponents larger than him. His game isn't suited to defeating large opponents.

Whatever with all the bickering; TS’s point stands. We don’t necessarily think of Glover as amazing on the ground, because he chose to box for many of his fights, but he has real credentials with his floor fighting.

Last edited:
Glover is very high level on the ground and easily has 30-40lbs of muscle on Jake. Shields is a great grappler but Glover is a beast of man with great grappling as well.
Glover is also starting to get his old man strength, so it really wasn't even fair for Shields

He knew the risks of taking on a top 5 fighter after a 2 year and multi surgery break.

He chose.....poorly.

FatBasicHeron-small.gif

I'm not judging him harshly either. I'm just saying with 2 paths - wade in slowly and work your way back up, or jump straight back into the shark infested deep end - he chose the riskier path with higher immediate reward.

Back