• No Country For Old Men (2007)

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Good The Bad The HBK

Pitbull Owner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gladiator (2000)

bG90az0

Synopsis: A former Roman General sets out to exact vengeance against the corrupt emperor who murdered his family and sent him into slavery.

No Country For Old Men (2007)

OC5qcGc

Synopsis: Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon a drug deal gone wrong and more than two million dollars in cash near the Rio Grande.

NCFOM.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

Both great, but NCFOM is a better film from the script to the acting, and by far cinematography.

Every now and then I'll have the urge to rewatch Gladiator. I've never had that urge with No Country For Old Men. Great movie, but I've only seen it twice and have no desire to watch it again. Feel like I got everything out of it and it doesn't hold any nostalgia value for me.

No Country For Old Men.

Gladiator was a bore.

As has been said, I watched NCFOM once and was mildly impressed. The undercurrent of menace, hoping for mercy for characters that never comes, etc.

Gladiator is a period piece excellently done IMO. Not necessarily a Russell Crowe fan but he nails it. And Joaquin Phoenix is magical.

The final scene where the gal kneels next to the dying Maximus and says "Go to them" always gets me right in the feels especially with the hauntingly beautiful song sung by Lisa Gerrard.
*grabs tissue

Reactions: HOV
Gladiator is a better story and overall more epic, No Country is a better film. It’s tough but If I can only choose one I’ll pick No Country.

I'm not a huge Gladiator fan. It's entertaining and the ending is pretty good, but I've never really had the desire to rewatch it. No Country is a classic, friendo.

Gladiator is a badass man flick. No Country is one of the best movies ever made. I guess it's about what you want, but from a critic perspective these aren't in the same league imo.

I put Gladiator in the same league as likes of Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan.

Great fun, well made, but don’t see them as masterpieces like a lot of people do. Basically pop corn flicks, and that’s not a knock.

No Country is obviously not as obvious as those, but it’s a lot more layered and deep, and that is pretentious!

The highs of Gladiator were higher, but No Country was more consistent throughout. Gladiator has some really boring scenes thrown in.

Back