Giving Homeless People Money

No i don't have to assume everyone for that to be true.

You could put 10 people in front of me. Let me know that 3 of them have self control and compulsion problems as drug addicts and are in treatment trying to manage it and the other 7 are ok.

I still then would not want to hand CASH to them out of the risk of it getting into the guys hands who has the compulsion issues and ME BEING THE ONE RESPONSIBLE for him falling off the wagon.

So many of the people who beat these compulsions talk about how they had to be go through that tough withdrawal, hit rock bottom and then clean up. If every day people are giving them money and enabling them to continue their habit and never bottom out you can be the ones prolonging their addiction and problem indefinitely. It is entirely possible, in Toronto anyway to beg enough money daily to sustain a good drug addiction where you always meet your needs.

I am not comfortable being that enabler guy, even if there is a chance I might miss the guy with the additions. There are lots of services in most cities for the non-drug addict, non mentally ill or other person, to take advantage of where they can get help, clothes, meals and job access if they want it and that type of person, who is not begging for an addiction is the type who would be more likely to seek out those services to begin with.

So that, in your eyes, outweighs the damage you could to by not giving money to someone who is starving?

Also, you think everyone else who doesn’t give them money thought it through like that and made a rational decision? I think it’s more likely they just don’t want to give anyone money and found a convenient excuse.

So that, in your eyes, outweighs the damage you could to by not giving money to someone who is starving?
i guess my view might change if i lived in communities where a homeless person might actually be starving but I am not sure where that would be honestly?

There are so many places where ever I have been for a hungry, let alone starving person, to go get a meal and other services. the only ones that do not generally take advantage are the really hard core addicts as those places might have a 'sober' requirement to get a meal at. The one I volunteer from time to time has a 'sober' requirement but they are very loose with it. I have served guys clearly inebriated.

So again that speaks to my argument of not wanting to enable the really hard core addicts who might be forced to clean up, even slightly or seek other help to get that needed help. If I am the one supplying the cash for their drugs they can avoid or put off that 'sobering' a little longer.

I'm actually surprised by how many people are saying I shouldn't have given anything. lol
I always give if I have any. I’m not responsible for how they spend it, but I do feel responsible for helping people in need. I’ve been helped before, so I know how it feels.
When I can, I prefer to buy food. I’ll even go out of my way to do that. Last winter I fed a couple of homeless guys for a couple of weeks and even bought dog food for their puppy. They were cool guys and seemed super appreciative, especially for the dog food.

i guess my view might change if i lived in communities where a homeless person might actually be starving but I am not sure where that would be honestly?

There are so many places where ever I have been for a hungry, let alone starving person, to go get a meal and other services. the only ones that do not generally take advantage are the really hard core addicts as those places might have a 'sober' requirement to get a meal at. The one I volunteer from time to time has a 'sober' requirement but they are very loose with it. I have served guys clearly inebriated.

So again that speaks to my argument of not wanting to enable the really hard core addicts who might be forced to clean up, even slightly or seek other help to get that needed help. If I am the one supplying the cash for their drugs they can avoid or put off that 'sobering' a little longer.

Again, you are using the assumption that there are no homeless people who are so for any reason other than drug addiction to justify your answer. The question was do you think the negative of giving someone money, some of which they will use for drugs, is worse than not giving someone money who really needs it to eat?

Again, you are using the assumption that there are no homeless people who are so for any reason other than drug addiction to justify your answer. The question was do you think the negative of giving someone money, some of which they will use for drugs, is worse than not giving someone money who really needs it to eat?
i find it strange that you need to create this alternate reality as i cannot state enough that what you are saying is not true.

I will say again that even if you tell me 7 have no drug problem and 3 who do in front of me my reasoning would stand. I would not want to be responsible for setting back the 3 with the drug problems by enabling them. I have made it clear that for people who are sober there is always food and support available, at least in any city I have been in. t he people who struggle to get food and support and might get turned away are the ones visibly inebriated. the rest CAN and DO get help.

(this is where you repeat i am assuming all are drug addicts)

i find it strange that you need to create this alternate reality as i cannot state enough that what you are saying is not true.

I will say again that even if you tell me 7 have no drug problem and 3 who do in front of me my reasoning would stand. I would not want to be responsible for setting back the 3 with the drug problems by enabling them. I have made it clear that for people who are sober there is always food and support available, at least in any city I have been in. t he people who struggle to get food and support and might get turned away are the ones visibly inebriated. the rest CAN and DO get help.

(this is where you repeat i am assuming all are drug addicts)

There is no alternate reality. The fact is, it may not be possible for everyone to get food if they need it. Your rationale is based on the assumption that it is, among other shaky assumptions. Hence, why I call your reasoning spurious. End of discussion.

I'm actually surprised by how many people are saying I shouldn't have given anything. lol
It's never the story he gave you is literally the oldest, most clichéd one in the book. He wanted money for booze.

Just a guess, but I would estimate the 'I'm stranded and I need the money for a long bus ride' story has been used approximately 10,000 times as complete bullshit by homeless drunks & junkies, for every 1 time it was an actual honest person in that situation.

My favorite is chicks at the gas station saying they forgot their purse at home or some shit asking if you could fill their tank up for them or else they'll never get back home.

I legit busted up laughing at some dumbass ho that tried to pull this shit on me years ago. And I don't care what you say, even if the story is true it's fucking hilarious. Don't leave your house before grabbing all the shit you need dummy lol.

And no, I didn't give her a damn thing. Go blow a trucker for that shit or something

I don't anymore after others have attempted to scam me in the past. Funny though, I have offered to buy gasoline when being asked for money for gas...I've always been turned down until yesterday.

I had left my parents house and stopped at the station to fill up before my 5 hr drive. This lady came up, and said she forgot her card and just needed enough gas to get home. She mentioned the city and I knew it wasn't too far, so I offered to pump $5 worth when I was done.

Well I went to her car and there was some dude leaned back in the seat so I couldn't see him. I said fuck it and still gave her the gas. She of course was like "thank you so much, I'm going to pay it forward..blah blah blah". The guy didn't even acknowledge me. I don't know what was really going on , but I figure at the very least I probably saved her from a black eye or whatever later.

There is no alternate reality. The fact is, it may not be possible for everyone to get food if they need it. Your rationale is based on the assumption that it is, among other shaky assumptions. Hence, why I call your reasoning spurious. End of discussion.
No end of discussion as you are flat our wrong. You keep making up a strawman position for me because you do not feel you can argue against my actual position. Something I think you criticize a mod for earlier today, ironically.

I have been to, and volunteered at, the places (non profit, Church and other) they can too to get food and other support and they exist in all the towns I am referring to. And if you know of places that have no support then tell me where and I might change my view for those places ONLY.

in Toronto, Chicago, New York, San Fran and numerous other places i have been what i have said 100% applies and since that is my reality that informs my position.

Last edited:
he's a hustler looking for quick bucks and told u a sob story. if u pocket check him i bet he has money on him. i seriously don't believe THAT many veterans are homeless. i just don't and it's pretty fucking common for homeless people claiming to be veterans

Last edited:
you don't owe anybody anything. i used to be VERY giving to people around me (family friends associates waiters homeless), give nice tips, loan people money(90% of the time i have to hunt them down for my money back) etc... i then realized that im an idiot that people take advantage of and then i stop doing it because i don't owe shit to anybody. fuck that. if people want my fucking money, they gotta earn it or trade something i want/need for it. the only people that i would give and never expect back would be my wife and kids which i don't have yet.

Last edited:
Earlier today, an older man walked up to me and asked if I can give him $10. He looked homeless, but I don't remember if he told me he was. Long story short, he said he's an army vet suffering from combat PTSD and needed the money for a 60-mile bus ride. The man started to get emotional when he talked about how shitty the past day or two has been for him. Now, the story was depressing and I believe more likely than not, he was telling the truth. However, I always try to be a little skeptical about these kinds of things. Also, maybe I'm just a cheap piece of shit, but $10 isn't something I like to give away to some stranger. I ended up only giving him $1. What do you think? Should I have just given him $10? What are your personal experiences with this?

Homeless people always have a sob story about how their car broke down, ran out of gas, how they need a bus ticket, or whatever else. Living in the city I've heard every story under the sun. I've even seen scammers literally use children.

I don't give people a fucking penny. If they approach me in the street and prepare to tell me a story, it's guaranteed to end in them asking for money. I just cut them off and tell them that I can't give them any money. That usually ends it right there.

When you enable these homeless people by giving them money, all you do is keep them in that cycle because they aren't forced to change. They can make a decent amount of money begging and have no need to try and get real work. Every dollar contributes to this cycle. If you don't give them anything, it forces them to find a real job to survive instead of begging for just enough money to survive and buy drugs.

They don't want to work. They want to get high and have no responsibilities. So you're just as big as a problem as they are by giving them your money.

In short, stop being a fucking sucker and stop giving them money because you feel bad for them.

Lol at people itt that have obviously never been poor. You cannot starve to death in modern America, just because you don't work. There are food banks, churches, and most importantly food stamps. Generally speaking if you qualify for food stamps you'll be given a card good for $200 a month. More than enough to eat well for one person.

When you give them money for "food" it's going towards booze, drugs, and cigarettes. Now if you want to feed someone else's addiction that's your business, but let's stop this objectively untrue nonsense about people starving.

If anyone is close to starving it's the underemployed, because they make too much for food stamps.

I gave a dude 5$ - what I had on me last night as I was gassing up.

He had obvious disabilities and was picking bottles - so I gave him the bottles in my vehicle and 5$.

Just a few minutes earlier a guy asked if I had money for pizza - he is always there and asks and give the same excuse. I said no as he is able body.

If you are asking me for money for a bus ticket we better be at a bus station and lll walk to the window with you and put the ticket on my card.

Ask me for money for gas? We better be at a gas station and you better have a car at the pump or a gas can in your hand.

I don't give money to beggars, I got sick of seeing the same people in the same situation year after year and also seeing them in the Police blotter for drugs, drunk and disorderly, public flashing, etc. I used to be involved in Habitat for Humanity but I don't have much free time to give so I donate to the local food bank, and give to Shriner's Hospital and St. Jude.

My favorite is chicks at the gas station saying they forgot their purse at home or some shit asking if you could fill their tank up for them or else they'll never get back home.

I legit busted up laughing at some dumbass ho that tried to pull this shit on me years ago. And I don't care what you say, even if the story is true it's fucking hilarious. Don't leave your house before grabbing all the shit you need dummy lol.

And no, I didn't give her a damn thing. Go blow a trucker for that shit or something

I fell for that game about 20 years ago in Toronto except it at roadside with a guy standing with the hood of a car up. He said he thought he was having engine troubles but turns out he was out of gas and that he had lost or had his wallet stolen and needed $20 for gas to get home. He told me it was one of the worst days he had had in a long time. He said he would send me back the money. I gave him the $20, he closed the hood and we continued to walk on. About an hour later I was walking back that same way and there he was talking to some other dude with his hood up. As I walked past I said to him 'it must be a real bad day if you already used the $20 i gave ou for gas and you are already out of gas and got stuck again in the same spot'. He smiled at me busted, but with that I don't give a fuck look. I actually give him credit for running what was a new game, to me, at that time.

I haven't often been asked for a specific amount like $10 but I often give something.

Bought a guy a pizza and a 7up about 2 weeks ago. His sign said "homeless and hungry". Hopefully that made his evening slightly more bearable.

I know quite a few people who have had a bad experience with a homeless person at one point and now refuse to give anything. To each their own.

Back