Girls are = but ...

Kawlinz said:
How can center of gravity be in the shoulders? we'd be constantly tipping over if we leaned slightly.

Exactly, everyones center of gravity is like 2 inches below their navel.

Kawlinz said:
How can center of gravity be in the shoulders? we'd be constantly tipping over if we leaned slightly.

Mens center of gravity is not in the shoulders , but it is higher in the body than in a woman. Ever tried the chair lifting trick with men and woman.

Put a chair agianst the wall walk up to it. Bend down at the waist and put your head also on the wall. Pick up the chair and try to stand straight up with out rocking or spring off your head. Men can't do it. Woman have no problem with this.

Men genarlly have more mass in their upper body and woman have it in their hips and legs. A woman's center of gravity is lower than a mans. Woman also usually have wider hips.

krait said:
Mens center of gravity is not in the shoulders , but it is higher in the body than in a woman. Ever tried the chair lifting trick with men and woman.

Put a chair agianst the wall walk up to it. Bend down at the waist and put your head also on the wall. Pick up the chair and try to stand straight up with out rocking or spring off your head. Men can't do it. Woman have no problem with this.

Men genarlly have more mass in their upper body and woman have it in their hips and legs. A woman's center of gravity is lower than a mans. Woman also usually have wider hips.

I think the chair trick would be more a function of the strength in your lower back and butt muscles than your center of gravity. Its true men generally have more upper body mass, obviously, but its not so mch that it wold make their center of gravity in their f#cking shoulders! :eek:

By standard, the rule of thumb about centers of balance and gravity are the areas that usually store the most bodyfat. For women, bodyfat tends to be stored in the hips/butt/thighs, and their center is in that general area. For a man, bodyfat is stored in the stomach area, love-handles, etc. The center for your average human male is actually considered to be(depending on body-size...) 2-3 inches ABOVE the navel.

Women are considered to have better balance because we interact with the world mostly from an above-the-waist perspective. Modern society doesn't much need the full range of motion to bend over, sideways, backwards... In Judo the best examples are that when a man and woman engage in sparring practice, the woman will be able to use hip throws, and many shoulder throws against a man than a man would against a woman.

The inverse of this is also true, however, that women are ordinarily more susceptible to foot/knee/leg manipulation, like sweeps and trips.

I guess thats why in all martial arts they teach the center of gravity is just below the navel.

krait said:

I can't picture this, all I can picture is ... how am I supposed to keep my head on a wall, stand up straight while there is a chair between the wall and myself? It's impossible for anyone to stand up straight with what I'm picturing.

Back