Girls are = but ...

Big Red

Green Belt
Reaction score
.. seriously, getting beat by one would really piss me off. Not to say girls aren't good at JJ just I hope I don't meet a tough chick who'll own me & crank my arm off.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5591190055045698939&q=Brazilian+Jiu+Jitsu

The boy seems he takes it easy or maybe he just wasn't as experienced. However he seems to get pretty nervous when he steps on her arm trying to get outta her triangle.

Thanks for posting. Congrats to her, she looks pretty solid for a girl her size. It looked like the guy was pretty inexperienced but it's a win for her.

I've grappled with two girls before. One was a total newbie who off balanced herself so much she swept herself over. The other was a blue belt. I can't judge girls in general becuz of my lack of experience with them but when I grappled against that blue belt it was a walk in the park. Im not a big guy and I didn't use much power but Idonno....maybe they are so weak its quite a disadvantage for them. If I sidemount or mount her no way she's escaping. I'd like to grapple with a brown or black belt girl just to see how much their technique can overcome me and my 156lbs.

VTJas81 said:
I've grappled with two girls before. One was a total newbie who off balanced herself so much she swept herself over. The other was a blue belt. I can't judge girls in general becuz of my lack of experience with them but when I grappled against that blue belt it was a walk in the park. Im not a big guy and I didn't use much power but Idonno....maybe they are so weak its quite a disadvantage for them. If I sidemount or mount her no way she's escaping. I'd like to grapple with a brown or black belt girl just to see how much their technique can overcome me and my 156lbs.
we had a black belt girl (forget her name but she is well known in the bjj world) come into our school a while back and she beat absolutely everyone most people with ease and had pretty much a stalemate with the instructor who is a 220lb+ beast ... i would say if there's any martial arts that works well for women its probably bjj as it does neutralize the strength/size disadvantage the best

There's a judo second dan at my sub wrestling class who is no joke to roll with. Im sure there are plenty of women out there who could tap me (and then probably out-lift me as well).

If a boy wrestles a girl who is about the same size and strengh then wouldn't the girl have the advantage? Because of her different center-of-gravity and balance coordination? Just asking.

Frodo said:
If a boy wrestles a girl who is about the same size and strengh then wouldn't the girl have the advantage? Because of her different center-of-gravity and balance coordination? Just asking.

Girls have the same center of gravity as dudes. The only thing I think in general they would have as an advantage would be flexibility.

No - guys have more muscle mass per pound. Generally women have much higher body fat ratios, and therefore a 150 lb. guy usually is much stronger than a 150 girl. Just a fact. Men also have much greater musculature typically in chest, arms and shoulders.

I was there at that tournament...That match proabably drew more exposure and cheers than any of the fights in the pro tournament..

FStep said:
we had a black belt girl (forget her name but she is well known in the bjj world) come into our school a while back and she beat absolutely everyone most people with ease and had pretty much a stalemate with the instructor who is a 220lb+ beast ... i would say if there's any martial arts that works well for women its probably bjj as it does neutralize the strength/size disadvantage the best
Gazzy Parman?

Sohei said:
Girls have the same center of gravity as dudes. The only thing I think in general they would have as an advantage would be flexibility.

as far as im concerned girls have their centre of gravity in their hips, and men in their shoulders, but im not 100% sure about this. however im pretty sure it's not exactely the same

chieftain said:
as far as im concerned girls have their centre of gravity in their hips, and men in their shoulders, but im not 100% sure about this. however im pretty sure it's not exactely the same

You're right.

I knew some girls in judo who could toss me around pretty easily. Very fast and good. In the video posted above, she was way better than the guy and looked pretty strong as well. He looked newbish and nervous both and she won a clear victory. Bad for him, butt he better grappler won.

My instructor at my dojo can take down most men very soundly. Mind you I am a little much for her do to the huge size diffrence and my grappling background. When we spar it can get to be a all out war.

I've seen Cindy Omatsu and Felicia Oh (Blackbelts) roll and they are legit. I've personally rolled with 2 girls, one was a high school wrestler, really strong and good base which is typical for a wrestler. The other girl was a black belt in Judo who sat in on the BJJ class. I pulled guard cus I had no desire to get thrown on my head and she passed and got side mount. Scarf hold was solid but she didn't try for any subs.

chieftain said:
How can center of gravity be in the shoulders? we'd be constantly tipping over if we leaned slightly.

Girls are not bad. If you find yourself getting out teched by a girl... theres always your strength hahah.

congrats to her, but who knows what that guy was doing. in his defense, he pulled side mount well.

I've never competed against a girl in a tournament (haven't competed against anyone in a tournament), but there is a 3 stripe purple belt in my class that has kicked my ass numerous times, and every other white belt in the gym. The blue belts can hang with her, and avoid getting tapped, but they can't submit her. I've seen her tap out a 300+ pound former marine, she's a badass.

We've got a Female purple at my school (came second to Stacy Cartwright in the aus ADCC trials I think)
She's tiny, and I can overpower her, but if I was her size, she'd absolutely blitz me.
I love the look on guy's faces when they come in for their first lesson and she absolutely creams them.
:)

Back