Gilbert Melendez: "Fighting Eddie Alvarez Is On My Mind Right Now."

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
With that in mind, he's eager to get back to work, and settling the score with an old rival would be the ideal next step. Former Bellator champion Eddie Alvarez has been a name attached to Melendez for quite some time, but with both competing for separate promotions, the fight has never come to fruition. Yet, with both now fighting under the UFC banner, and The Underground King falling out of his bout with Henderson at Fight Night 59, a showdown between the two gritty lightweights is absolutely possible.

Melendez loves the idea of finally squaring off with Alvarez and believes it would a great fight that makes absolute sense in the divisional picture.

"Fighting Eddie Alvarez is on my mind right now," Melendez said. "It's funny because this fight has been on my radar for a long time. We knew it could possibly happen one day, and it looks like it is a strong possibility right now. I would love to get that fight.

"I'm in the situation where I've had two title fights, and I've come up short on both opportunities. It is a regrouping phase. It's hard to take because I definitely want the title. I want to go in there and impress. I want to win fights, and I want to show some new things in the process. It's the point of my career where I have to evolve and change up the game a little bit.

"There's a lot of tough guys in my division, and there is some adapting that needs to be done," he added. "I want to show everyone that I can adjust and that I'm an intelligent fighter. I'm going to keep being relevant for the remainder of my career. I've been in the top 10 rankings for the last seven or eight years. I don't plan on going anywhere. Guys come and go, but I'll still be here."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ack-on-track-open-to-fight-with-eddie-alvarez

I feel after giving Eddie that big ass contract, they don't wanna see him go 0-2 and will give him a feature fight where he's set up to get the HL reel KO. But I could be wrong, I mean they did book him with Bendo after getting pummeled by Cowboy. I'd rather see Eddie build himself back up against someone like Jim Miller.

I'm picking Alvarez in this one... Melendez seens to slow down and his chin seens to be gone...

Does anyone know why Alvarez pulled out of the Bendo fight? Somehow I never heard what the injury was.

meh. cut eddie alvarez already. save us all time. hes not good enough to beat elite fighters.

This fight makes sense and cents, 2 minor league MVPs (Strikeforce Gilberto) and (Bellator Eddie). Both have been underwhelming in the UFC so far can bang each other possibly out the UFC. Loser will have a losing record in UFC.

Hmm.It would probably a five rounder, but what worries me is that these guys never seem to Ko or TK their opponents. It could potentially be a boring fight.

wtf with these new people coming in

its not because it goes to a decision that a fight is boring bro

I'm picking Alvarez in this one... Melendez seens to slow down and his chin seens to be gone...

His chin is obviously gone since all the kos hes suffered.

Back