Gil #2? C'mon man.....

It's just the classic contender bump. Every time a fighter is announced as the next contender for a belt he gets a rankings bump even if he hasn't fought recently.

Put on your tinfoil hats, people, but the media is swinging on the UFCs ..... Especially Helwanni.

Yeah, ranking Benson below Gil is also stupid. Call me crazy, but I think rankings should be based on wins...

1 Anthony Pettis
2 Khabib Nurmagomedov
3 Rafael dos Anjos
4 Benson Henderson
5 Donald Cerrone
6 Gilbert Melendez
7 Edson Barboza
8 Bobby Green
9 Josh Thomson
10 Eddie Alvarez

These are mine. Eddie is the only iffy one because he's unproven in the UFC. I debate moving him to 7 & dropping the others down a notch but I'll wait till he gets a UFC win.

These are also just UFC rankings. Outside the UFC included, replace Eddie with Will Brooks. I hold his two wins over chandler higher than Eddie's split win.

Those are pretty solid, though I would probably switch Cerrone and Gil. I'm not really that sold on The Donald unless he beats Bendo, who even seems to be slipping.

It's just the classic contender bump. Every time a fighter is announced as the next contender for a belt he gets a rankings bump even if he hasn't fought recently.

Put on your tinfoil hats, people, but the media is swinging on the UFCs ..... Especially Helwanni.

Sherdog always seems real slow to drop a guy that just lost to champion, regardless of how brutally they got handled.

shouldn't be over benson, cowboy, khabib or RDA (i'd be fine with him being # 5 after all of those guys), the fact that they had him at #2 before he fought pettis (after a fucking win over diego) was embarrassing.

Ah but rankings will matter come july

Not in the way that inspired this thread and the other threads that whine about rankings

Those are pretty solid, though I would probably switch Cerrone and Gil. I'm not really that sold on The Donald unless he beats Bendo, who even seems to be slipping.

Gil has 2 losses in the UFC, yes both against champions but his only win is against Diego, not a spectacular win if you saw Diego's last 4 or 5 fights. Cerrone is on a good streak with his last win over a good prospect.

Yeah, ranking Benson below Gil is also stupid. Call me crazy, but I think rankings should be based on wins...

1 Anthony Pettis
2 Khabib Nurmagomedov
3 Rafael dos Anjos
4 Benson Henderson
5 Donald Cerrone
6 Gilbert Melendez
7 Edson Barboza
8 Bobby Green
9 Josh Thomson
10 Eddie Alvarez

These are mine. Eddie is the only iffy one because he's unproven in the UFC. I debate moving him to 7 & dropping the others down a notch but I'll wait till he gets a UFC win.

These are also just UFC rankings. Outside the UFC included, replace Eddie with Will Brooks. I hold his two wins over chandler higher than Eddie's split win.

Nice list and breakdown. I could live with these rankings. I would switch Cowboy with Bendo, due mainly to the fact that Cerrone has been so active. Cerrone is mowing down contenders left and right. On the flip side, Bendo has beaten Cerrone twice. Bendo also beat Gil.

I'd be hard pressed to even have him 5 or 6. Rewatch the last fight with thomson, he should be 1-3 in his past four.

Last edited:
People have to stfu with this 1-2 stuff. It's so disingenuous to reference his UFC record as a defining characteristic. The two losses were in title fights. One was a 50/50, and in the other he gave prime Pettis his toughest match, tougher than Bendo. So I'd rank him higher than Bendo, even. You can have Bendo higher, but it's stupid to say it's stupid that someone would have Melendez higher, when they're factoring what actually happened in fights, instead of in technicality. The reality is Melendez just as easily could have been on a 9-fight winning streak going into his loss against the lw who will likely prove to be the best ever in the division. During that streak, he beat Josh Thomson twice, and not when he had a broken thumb like Bendo. He won all 5 rounds against Masvidal. He wrecked Kawajiri, and cruised against Aoki, who beat Alvarez once, as well as a ton of other notable guys. I wouldn't have him 2nd, but 4th, behind Pettis, Khabib, and RDA; I think is the right place.

I will take shit for this but who cares. Melendez is, imo, the most over hyped fighter in the history of the LW division. Biggest wins are Thompson and Sanchez. He will lose more than he wins in the UFC.

I'm a big Melendez fan and having him at #2 is pretty ridiculous. Cerrone, RDA, Khabib and Bendo should be ahead of him.

I think he beats Cerrone and RDA, and he might beat Bendo in a rematch. Khabib is a question mark, but I think Melendez might have the perfect skillset for him, but that shouldn't have any impact on rankings. Gil is 1-2 since coming to the UFC. That's should be more important to his ranking.

Actually, I think Cerrone 2.0 might be his toughest fight out of those 4 on second thought. It would be interesting to see how it played out.

I will take shit for this but who cares. Melendez is, imo, the most over hyped fighter in the history of the LW division. Biggest wins are Thompson and Sanchez. He will lose more than he wins in the UFC.

Do you even UFC bro?

would be awesome to see him fight other guys in the top 10 instead of the title holder to see how he stands

You Could have just posted this. This isn't a Gil
Hate thread. This is a Gil isn't the 2nd best LW
In the world thread.

You referenced his record in the UFC as a defining factor and thought it was ridiculous to rank him ahead of guys like Bendo and Cerrone. I told you how both opinions were off base.

You will take shit because what you said is terribly misinformed. The second best opponent he beat is Diego?!?! LOL He beat Masvidal all 5 rounds. He's better than Sanchez. He ripped apart Kawajiri, who had just beaten Thomson himself. He cruised against Aoki, who beat Kawajiri and Alvarez once. He beat Guida back in the day. Kawajiri and Thomson another time. 2013 Diego is closer to his 10th best official win.

He also just as easily could have beaten Bendo as lost to him. That was a toss-up if I've ever seen one, and if I had to give it to anyone, it would have been Melendez. Bendo, as has often been the case, was just lucky to get the debatable decision to artificially help his rep, and hurt the other guy's.

If he wins more than he loses in the UFC it's because he's fighting almost exclusively top 5's.

Gil, until losing to showtime, was one of the most over rated guys in the UFC. He was barely getting by guys like the punk, and masvidal in strikeforce. Then he's given an immediate title shot that he loses. After that, they give him an unranked Diego that floored him in the third round, and then the ufc gives him another title shot. During that whole time they had him ranked at 1 or 2. Dude needs to actually beat some contenders.

I see we share the same opinion :icon_chee

Yeah that don't make much sense. Even the UFC rankings are better.

Champion : Anthony Pettis
1 Rafael dos Anjos
2 Khabib Nurmagomedov

3 Donald Cerrone
4 Gilbert Melendez

lol

Back