Gil #2? C'mon man.....

Drunken Irish

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In a division of absolute killers, how the heck is Gil still ranked over Khabib,Bendo,RDA,and Cerrone? All due respect to Gil, but he is 1-2 in the UFC. With the recent developments in the LW division, I have Gil at #6.

He's ranked 4th... or 5th if you count showtime as #1

Yeah that don't make much sense. Even the UFC rankings are better.

Champion : Anthony Pettis
1 Rafael dos Anjos
2 Khabib Nurmagomedov
3 Donald Cerrone
4 Gilbert Melendez

I find it more annoying that rda is ranked ahead of khabib when khabib ragdolled him in april... come on shun

I don't have him #2 either but his two losses were for the belt. Not to some Joe Schmo.

Gil is tough as nails, he could go on a nice run and possibly put himself in a better position? But dang, Gil has a lot of wood to chop before earning another chance at the strap IMO.

Rankings don't matter

IMO he beats every other LW. I thought he beat Benson, but very slightly.

Yah Sherdog has their heads up their ass so hard on this one it's pathetic. There is no logical justification, I don't care how much you like Gil or think he's the number 2 LW in your own head... who's his best win, Josh Thompson in close fights?

Fan of melendez and his style sometimes, but their is no way he is number 2 at LW maybe 5 or 6. I see dos anjos and cerrone beating him.

I still don't get how the Sanchez fight was enough to give Gil a second shot at the belt.

Yah Sherdog has their heads up their ass so hard on this one it's pathetic. There is no logical justification, I don't care how much you like Gil or think he's the number 2 LW in your own head... who's his best win, Josh Thompson in close fights?

Agreed it doesn't make sense. Khabib is undefeated at LW and has top wins he should be ranked #2.

I still don't get how the Sanchez fight was enough to give Gil a second shot at the belt.

It wasn't. Gil leaving for Bellator was what got him another title shot.

Sherdog rankings are always terrible.

I remember when they had Schaub in the top ten for the longest time with no mention of Big Country who had just KOed him.

I also didn't understand their recent obsession with Jeremy Stephens.

Yeah, ranking Benson below Gil is also stupid. Call me crazy, but I think rankings should be based on wins...

1 Anthony Pettis
2 Khabib Nurmagomedov
3 Rafael dos Anjos
4 Benson Henderson
5 Donald Cerrone
6 Gilbert Melendez
7 Edson Barboza
8 Bobby Green
9 Josh Thomson
10 Eddie Alvarez

These are mine. Eddie is the only iffy one because he's unproven in the UFC. I debate moving him to 7 & dropping the others down a notch but I'll wait till he gets a UFC win.

These are also just UFC rankings. Outside the UFC included, replace Eddie with Will Brooks. I hold his two wins over chandler higher than Eddie's split win.

Back